You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[1.8.0.499] Find & Replace and Context Toolbar not finding Character Styles inside a Paragraph Style

I have a Paragraph Style (Chapter Head) which uses the Initial words feature and I have a Character Style set up for that. The only thing in the Character Style (Initial Words Chap Head) which is different is the font's size, 12 points instead of the 14 points for the Paragraph Style.
When I have this paragraph style applied the Find and Replace won't find the 12 point text in the Chapter Heads. The Context Toolbar will also not show the size of the type when there is text selected. Even if I change the font family to something which is unique to the document I cannot see that it is in the document using Finda and replace or selecting the words in the Chapter Head which are a different font family and looking at the Context Toolbar.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I think I understand what you're saying about Find and Replace, Bruce. But can you provide a screenshot to clarify what you mean with " The Context Toolbar will also not show the size of the type when there is text selected." And perhaps provide a small sample document?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think I understand what you're saying about Find and Replace, Bruce. But can you provide a screenshot to clarify what you mean with " The Context Toolbar will also not show the size of the type when there is text selected." And perhaps provide a small sample document?

This is 12 point selected.

1996137054_ScreenShot2019-11-09at11_23_59AM.thumb.png.dee58006f652588d53530b4776e9f44b.png

Chaps 001 4.afpub

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Thanks, Bruce. That's what I thought you might mean, and with your document I see the same thing in the Windows beta.

There is something else odd going on, by the way. Here's a screenshot:

image.thumb.png.d3ee738cb75139bb258a8310d226dada.png

Note that you have two layers named "Text Right". The highlighted one is for the chapter title; the other one is for the text.

Next, it appears that both have the same text content, (CHAPTER 1<pilcrow> Loomings ...). But in fact, the highlighted layer (shown selected on the left) has only the chapter title as the content. And if you "edit detached" and hide that layer, only the chapter title disappears.

However, if you delete that highlighted layer (which contains only the title), all of the chapter text disappears, leaving only the chapter title which moves down and to the left.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

40 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Note that you have two layers named "Text Right". The highlighted one is for the chapter title; the other one is for the text.

Next, it appears that both have the same text content, (CHAPTER 1<pilcrow> Loomings ...). But in fact, the highlighted layer (shown selected on the left) has only the chapter title as the content. And if you "edit detached" and hide that layer, only the chapter title disappears.

However, if you delete that highlighted layer (which contains only the title), all of the chapter text disappears, leaving only the chapter title which moves down and to the left.

I have two layers on that page. A one Column Text Frame linked to the Two Column text frame. I should have included more pages, most are two columns, only the Chapter start/first pages are like that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

I have two layers on that page. A one Column Text Frame linked to the Two Column text frame. I should have included more pages, most are two columns, only the Chapter start/first pages are like that.

Yes, I understand that. But it does not explain why deleting the layer/frame that contains the chapter title instead deletes the chapter text and moves the title down.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, I understand that. But it does not explain why deleting the layer/frame that contains the chapter title instead deletes the chapter text and moves the title down.

It is one text object, starts with Chapter 1 and continues on from there (Walt; you more than likely know and understand that, it is for people following along). 

Check out the Paragraph styles Chapter Head and First Paragraph. Look at the options I have set for Flow. The head and the first paragraph will not be in the same frame.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

It is one text object, starts with Chapter 1 and continues on from there (Walt; you more than likely know and understand that, it is for people following along). 

Check out the Paragraph styles Chapter Head and First Paragraph. Look at the options I have set for Flow. The head and the first paragraph will not be in the same frame.

Ah. Thanks, Bruce. That explains what I was seeing.

And leaves us with just your issue with the font size not showing accurately.

-- Walt
PC:

Somehow the initial words seem to be enclosed in a little container of their own that cannot be accessed by the context toolbar readouts (they seem to always read out the font size of the non-initial text) and by Find & Replace. Mysterious. :/

Hmm.png.7bb3a54e08269e16b89f64c5ec51e752.png

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon