You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lasso tool for Affinity photo for iPad

My problem is there are several people in one photo and I want to select the face of just one and ,copy it to the same face in a different photo.  I've done it easily in Photshop with a lasso tool and am looking to do it in Affinity photo on iPad.

14 hours ago, CTBob said:

Trying to copy and past faces from one photo to another.  Is there a lasso tool in Affinity Photo for iPad.

There sure is :) I think this might be what you mean:

1. Change persona to "Selection" (highlight at the very top).
  2. I like to select the Freehand Selection Tool (but maybe one of the others might work better for you) → left sidebar.
  3. And then I set it to "Magnetic" (personal preference for my landscape photography; sth. else might work better for you).

Hope this is useful to you!

IMG_9395FBBF1485-1.thumb.jpeg.e58916506012f2ea02d946a1c1200fcf.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Regarding JustMeJ’s directives about using the “Magnetic Lasso” on 11.9.2019 (which I’ve used religiously in Adobe Ps), thanks much - very helpful.

However when I select “+Add pixel Layer” then Magnetic Lasso a face, mountain, people, object, etc, in Affinity Photo: iPad version, (Adobe Ps, you connect the starting point to the end point and you get the ‘racing ants’ then I can right click it and select numerous options: Cut, Create New Layer, Fill, etc).
However in Affinity Photo for iPad (had this iPad for only 2 months - so not used to it like a Mac or Windows) I get ONLY the ‘racing ants’ and no new layer or cutout that you can click, drag, rearrange, move (basically, no color pixels of the object I Lassoed; just the outer ‘racing ants’ selection).
I’ve tried everything I can think of in Affinity Photo: iPad version. What am I doing wrong?

• Staff

Hi @Szak,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

With your 'marching ants' selection active, you need to make sure you have the correct layer selected in the Layers Studio in order to edit the pixel content within the selection.

Can you please provide a screenshot showing the selection that you have created, with the Layers Studio showing?

If you have the correct layer selected and a selection active, please select the Move Tool from the left hand toolbar, then press and hold on screen within the selection - you should see a context menu appear offering the option to cut or copy this selection, which you can then paste at a later time, as required.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Regarding my prior question involving the Magnetic Lasso and creating New Layer with the Lassoed object’s pixels intact: I solved it! I didn’t realize there was a pallet at the bottom of screen with various options to select and it turns out the ‘racing ants’ around my object/cutout I Lassoed, the pallet defaults at “Selection” and after I scrolled through the objectives, I found the command “New Layer” and voila, instead of the ‘racing ants’ a new Layer was created with all the Lassoed object/pixels I cutout were there and contained - just like in Adobe Ps when creating New Layer.