You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change spelling of hexa codes possible?

Hello community :1_grinning:

As I have learned, in CSS/HTML coding everything is written in small letters.
But the hexa codes in the color fields in designer/publisher are always shown with upper case letters.
So I copy that of course also into my CSS file.

This may be incomprehensible for some, but the hexadecimal codes in upper case letters disturb me massively in my CSS files. :34_rolling_eyes:

My teacher's not so happy about it either.
I'm currently manually adjusting the spelling of the hexadecimal codes - I don't want to get a worse grade because of that. :7_sweat_smile:

Does anyone know if I can change the spelling? I have already searched through all possible settings, but found nothing suitable.

Many thanks in advance!
Mimi

No there is no way to set the letters to lower case from within the Affinity apps, unless you pasted to the workspace and changed the case of the letters and then copied to clipboard again.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

For CSS/HTML coding one usually also use or have a capable text editor beside, just use that then and it's regex find and replace with convert case feature for those files.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I wonder, is it so bad to have uppercase letters colour hex code in CSS, I find it more legible than lowercase, is lowercase the norm for css coding or is it just personal taste?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It’s been a long time since I have written any CSS but I’m fairly sure that the upper/lower case issue is purely a personal – or organisational – choice. Mimi’s teacher might personally hate using upper case hex values but if Mimi goes to work for a company the practices of that company may specify that upper case is actually preferred (for whatever reason).
A good rule-of-thumb here would seem to be: Be consistent with the rest of the code base.
In other words, if you are writing it just for yourself then do whatever feels best for you, but if you have to work with other people, do what they do.

The W3C specification https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/syndata.html#characters states that “All CSS syntax is case-insensitive within the ASCII range (i.e., [a-z] and [A-Z] are equivalent), except for parts that are not under the control of CSS.” and the examples for colour hex values (section 4.3.6) are in both lower and upper case, so the W3C don’t seem to be too bothered about it.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

It’s been a long time since I have written any CSS but I’m fairly sure that the upper/lower case issue is purely a personal – or organisational – choice. Mimi’s teacher might personally hate using upper case hex values but if Mimi goes to work for a company the practices of that company may specify that upper case is actually preferred (for whatever reason).
A good rule-of-thumb here would seem to be: Be consistent with the rest of the code base.
In other words, if you are writing it just for yourself then do whatever feels best for you, but if you have to work with other people, do what they do.

The W3C specification https://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/syndata.html#characters states that “All CSS syntax is case-insensitive within the ASCII range (i.e., [a-z] and [A-Z] are equivalent), except for parts that are not under the control of CSS.” and the examples for colour hex values (section 4.3.6) are in both lower and upper case, so the W3C don’t seem to be too bothered about it.

Thank Garry, I've noticed that a lot of apps; in fact the majority of apps, that can produce hex coded colour, do so in uppercase characters which leads me to believe this is the accepted method for hex colour code and lowercase is a matter of coding taste. I'd stay with uppercase hex colour code unless I was given a valid reason for lowercase, i.e compatibility etc but not "because I say so."

Yeah, all of the applications I can remember using displayed hex in upper case too. Some may not have but I just don’t remember them.
I’ve a feeling – unsubstantiated – that this could be because the APIs used have this as the default, and most decimal-to-hex conversion code I have seen uses upper case too. A web search for “decimal to hex” or “<any coding language> decimal to hex” shows the same, although there may be some exceptions.
Personally I used to write CSS with lower case hex values but that was only because I had read somewhere that it was the ‘proper’ way to do it, even though I preferred to see them in upper case as it made them a bit easier to find, for me at least.