ncJohn

straighten tool changes to crop

I've just tried the straighten tool for the first time and could not get it to work to save my life. After clicking on "straighten" I would put the "level" on the image, click, and it would change to a crop tool. Finally, after reading about problems others were having with straighten, I tried holding CTRL down instead of clicking straighten, and it works that way.

So my problem is solved, this is basically a FYI for the folks at Affinity and for others who might be having a problem with straighten.

I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit and version 1.7.3 of AP.

All you should need to do is click normally (with no modifier keys held down) once on the Straighten button, & then with the level on the canvas, click & drag a line to set the desired horizontal or vertical orientation.

It sounds like you are just clicking without dragging out a line.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

However, it may also be worthwhile to mention that once you have dragged the line, and the image has been straightened, you will (correctly) remain in the Cropping Tool. If you're satisfied with the straightening, and don't need further cropping, just click Apply.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

No, I worded it poorly. I held down the mouse button and dragged but the level indicator changed to cross-hairs and all it was doing was dragging out the crop grid so it was cropping out a really thin horizontal section. In contrast, when I did it using the CTRL button the level indicator remained while I drew the line with it.

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

However, it may also be worthwhile to mention that once you have dragged the line, and the image has been straightened, you will (correctly) remain in the Cropping Tool. If you're satisfied with the straightening, and don't need further cropping, just click Apply.

Correct, that's what happened when I did it using CTRL.