You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey,

I have recently been very annoyed by Photoshop and was looking for a replacement product. I've been experimenting with Affinity Photo and like it a lot, but I seem to have a rather irritating problem that would prevent me from purchasing it.

I use a 165 Hz monitor as my main monitor, and whenever I am using Affinity Photo, my mouse will go from being smooth (as it normally is) to being really sluggish and looking as if it is teleporting all over the place. If I put the program on my other 60Hz monitor it is fine, but that is a very cheap TV monitor. Is there any solution for this, or is it just something that isn't supported at all?

• Staff

Hi sessava,

Welcome to the forums :)

Affinity Photo runs at 60 FPS, which may visually appear slightly slower on your high refresh rate monitor - however I certainly wouldn't expect 'sluggish' movement or mouse 'teleportation'!

I personally run a 144hz monitor at home and I don't experience the same issues you've described, so I'm going to need some further information please. Could you please confirm:

• What GPU are you using?
  • Does your monitor run G-sync (if so, is this enabled?)
  • Are you running the latest versions of drivers for your GPU?

Thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks for the welcome.

• GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • Yes, and yes.
  • Very close to the latest. I think there's some brand new drivers recently that I haven't updated, but pretty recent.

I actually did some testing myself based on your questions.

After changing my refresh rate on my monitor down to 60Hz from 165Hz, the problem persisted. However, after disabling G-Sync, all of my problems seemed to vanish. Even when I set my monitor back to 165Hz, the problems did not exist. So, the issue seems to lie with G-Sync on the monitor causing the problem for some reason. Any idea why this might be the case?

• Staff

Many thanks for confirming that and my apologies for the delayed response!

On 11/9/2019 at 11:19 PM, sessava said:

However, after disabling G-Sync, all of my problems seemed to vanish. Even when I set my monitor back to 165Hz, the problems did not exist

We're aware of an issue when G-Sync is set to 'Fullscreen and Windowed' applications in the Nvidia Control Panel, however setting this to Fullscreen only should resolve the issue and allow you to continue using G-sync for other apps/games. Could you please try setting this and let me know if Affinity remains unaffected?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, Dan C said:

Many thanks for confirming that and my apologies for the delayed response!

We're aware of an issue when G-Sync is set to 'Fullscreen and Windowed' applications in the Nvidia Control Panel, however setting this to Fullscreen only should resolve the issue and allow you to continue using G-sync for other apps/games. Could you please try setting this and let me know if Affinity remains unaffected?

So I saw that the OP never replied to you on this one (and it was like a year and a bit ago...) - but switching G-Sync to 'Fullscreen Only' fixed the issue for me so just wanted to drop a note to say thank you. 

Edited by T2NA

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @T2NA :)

Many thanks for letting me know, I'm very glad to hear the above helped and I certainly appreciate your message!

We hope you have a great time with the Affinity apps, and enjoy being part of our wonderful community here :D

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2021 at 6:04 PM, T2NA said:

switching G-Sync to 'Fullscreen Only' fixed the issue for me

For me, it didn't fix the issue in V1.9.1 of Photo and Designer. I also tried to apply some app specific settings in Nvidia control panel like setting a fixed refresh rate or a maximum fps to 60Hz for Photo and Designer. It didn't help. I still have a flickering e.g. when resizing an image. :(

I'm with a Nvidia GeForce 3070 and driver version 461.72.

• Staff

Hi @DenalB,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm that there have been a few issues reported with Gsync since the Nvidia 461.09 driver, Nvidia have confirmed that this 'flickering' is a bug and they're working to resolve this - you may find the reg files provided at the below link help here - 

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/ 

There has also been changes to the vsync option in the Nvidia Control panel in this driver, that can cause flickering/screen tearing. I recommend setting your Nvidia control panel settings as confirmed here - 

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5159 

Other than the above fixes, we must unfortunately await a newer driver to resolve this issue. I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

I'm a little surprised. Now it works! There is no flickering at all. :)

What I did:

1. Switched the global setting for V-Sync to the default "Use the 3D application setting", because I turned off V-Sync globally when enabled G-Sync.
    (https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5159)
    => No Success!
  2. Applied the REG-fix "mpo_disable.reg" and restarted the computer.
    (https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/)
    => Success! 

Hopefully Nvidia will fix this bug!

Thanks for helping @Dan C and all the others! ;)

• Staff

That's wonderful to hear - many thanks for letting me know and I too hope that Nvidia issue a fix for this shortly :D

Please note -

Many thanks!