You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I'm trying to lighten wave tops in a painting I'm touching up. I cannot remember from earlier videos how to do this, and I can't find it in the current video series.

In the attached photo, you see some wave tops just 'above' the outrigger that go diagonally up and left toward the top of the painting. In the original these wave tops "pop" a lot more than in this reproduction, so I need to duplicate that.

Can anyone help my memory?

I have the Nikon .NEF raw so will be starting from there ...

Thanks.

The Journey new 2019-10-12 for Affinity_DSC1711.jpg

My approach using the good ol' fashion dodge and burn. Takes more time but also you're adding your personal touches.

dodge-burn.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

And a slightly faster alternative would be to make a luminosity selection like so...

70930440_ScreenShot2019-11-09at14_39_58.png.378723197d0c9a5ae6e70eb93b61f6fd.png

In the first part at step 3. I went to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Shadows and Highlights this loads the luminosity selection in the adjustment filter, from there you can pull the highlight slider to the right and then use the erase brush on the adjustment layer to bring back the beach and the wood in the foreground.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-09-at-14-45-06.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Since many ways lead to Rome, another way is to add an HSL adjustment layer, where you then setup/tweak the appropriate colors highlight. Since that's a mask you can tweak it further via black/white brush tool.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Since many ways lead to Rome, another way is to add an HSL adjustment layer, where you then setup/tweak the appropriate colors highlight. Since that's a mask you can tweak it further via black/white brush tool.

Do you mean that use blend ranges to target highlight? There is no obvious way to tweak highlight areas only.

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

Do you mean that use blend ranges to target highlight? There is no obvious way to tweak highlight areas only.

hsl_kram.jpg.ccd0dd1c977e67d770797476b5e7ae23.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

This video is quite interesting: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

Nope, that just select colour range and adjusts luminosity across all luminosity values. It does not affect just light tones.I think.

Thus you restrict it to with the pipette selected and shrinked colors, further can mask in/out wanted portions.

6 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Thus you restrict it to with the pipette selected and shrinked colors, further can mask in/out wanted portions.

But eyedropper targets only by chroma, not luma. Further masking is needed to separate light areas. ?

14 hours ago, firstdefence said:

This video is quite interesting: 

It is indeed. Because it is complicated, I bookmarked it for later study, as well as the text version from the author's site.:35_thinking:

Also interesting, in the YouTube comments section a reply eventually lead me to this forum topic by @Jepsio, with a pair of macros that apparently automates (most of?) the process.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 11/9/2019 at 6:45 AM, firstdefence said:

And a slightly faster alternative would be to make a luminosity selection like so...

70930440_ScreenShot2019-11-09at14_39_58.png.378723197d0c9a5ae6e70eb93b61f6fd.png

In the first part at step 3. I went to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Shadows and Highlights this loads the luminosity selection in the adjustment filter, from there you can pull the highlight slider to the right and then use the erase brush on the adjustment layer to bring back the beach and the wood in the foreground.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-09-at-14-45-06.png

This did it for me, FirstDefence!

Since my .afphoto file already had a masked area for the water, performing that action on the masked layer created a new layer that restricted the highlight action just to the water so no need to touch up the beach or outrigger wood.

Thanks.

You're welcome.