You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlink Dialogue Pop-up -- Can't read long links, pane too small

When trying to add multiple links in a document (v 1.7.3), cannot see the full hyperlinks, thereby making it very difficult to select the desired link from the dropdown. The popup should either be resizable or at least have a hover tooltip that shows the entire link. In many documents the links simply are too long to show in the rather small dropdown pane. As it is now, required to select each hyperlink one at a time, then use the arrow key to move the insert cursor to the right in order to read the link. Very tiresome when doing a lot of links in a simple document.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-11-07 at 11.45.58 AM - cropped.jpg

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

Yes, this is painful. :(

There’s a little trick when you have lots of hyperlinks to insert in a document.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/85872-a-little-url-trick/

If you made up a list of all your links, you could print this list and find the ones you need with more ease in the menu. Don’t know if that helps. And please make a backup before going ahead. The above is a hack. ;)

On 11/8/2019 at 1:24 PM, nwhit said:

The popup should either be resizable or at least have a hover tooltip that shows the entire link. In many documents the links simply are too long to show in the rather small dropdown pane.

I think the Hyperlink Properties popup window needs to be scraped & replaced with something a lot more user friendly.

I may have missed some of the functionality already present in the Hyperlinks Studio panel, but it seems like an obvious place to add some kind of hyperlink management & creation features that among other things would spare us the need to go 3 levels deep into the Text menu just to open the popup window. Maybe it could have multiple columns, one as it is now with the link name, another with the kind (URL, Page, etc.), & a third with the link text that when clicked on opens the input field, which would expand to as many lines as needed, somewhat like renaming a Finder item.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Fully agree. While I'm sure we all appreciate that Affinity got this feature into Publisher, it is difficult and cumbersome to use. And frankly, today so much of our so-called "print" media is actually deliverable as pdf publications that require hyperlinks. Without the ability to use hyperlinks, we would have far less use for Publisher. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

3 hours ago, Pauls said:

I've logged an issue for that - thanks

Thanks. Really appreciate that since we are trying to integrate Publisher into our workflow as much as possible, and links are critical to much of our work.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

On 11/11/2019 at 2:48 PM, R C-R said:

I think the Hyperlink Properties popup window needs to be scraped & replaced with something a lot more user friendly.

Couldn’t agree more. I was really thankful to have basic hyperlinks management in the initial version of the app … which I wouldn’t have expected … so thank you a lot for that! …, but there is definitely room for improvement. 

One particular issue I still have is the fact that assigned hyperlinks cannot be highlighted in the text other than by applying a text style, when working on a document. That is really frustrating. :(

Show-Hyperlinks.thumb.png.843402b4d046ddcb1038d35afbdf795f.png

Could you log an issue for that too, @Pauls? I know, it is technically a feature request, but I think it is a really essential one, for all the reasons discussed in the thread linked from the previous post. I would be very very happy if we could have toggle-able hyperlink indicators in text frames. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Make hyperlink dialog resizeable - improvement) of the program in the latest Affinity Publisher beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. Once Affinity Publisher has been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update to all customers.

The 1.8.0 builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks! I've tried it in the beta and so far it seems like it's exactly what was needed. Looks like it will solve our issue.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022