TOMMY71

The document file has been deleted

I keep my files in the documents folder which is syncing with iCloud. Recently I've been getting a 'the document file has been deleted' error message and the file closes. I don't remember having this problem in the past. It happens in all 3 Affinity apps. I'm using the 10.15.1 Catalina.

It happens on my desktop and laptop.

Any ideas?

Tom

Screenshot 2019-11-08 at 14.02.41.png

I would make a backup of your Affinity files to somewhere on your local hard drive before you do anything else. Once that's done you can start to diagnose.

Does this happen on the iPad or just from Catalina.

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

Hi TOMMY71,

Welcome to the forums :)

When are you seeing this error message - whilst loading the file, or whilst working on it?

iCloud has a habit of changing file extensions, occasionally adding their own '.icloud' suffix to the end of files which can cause Affinity to lose access to the file (as it can no longer find the original filename) 

If you have any files with the added '.icloud' please try following the instructions here to return your Affinity files - https://www.sync.com/help/why-do-my-files-have-an-icloud-extension/
Does this resolve the issue for you?

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

If you have any files with the added '.icloud' please try following the instructions here to return your Affinity files - https://www.sync.com/help/why-do-my-files-have-an-icloud-extension/

WOW! I knew there had to be a reason not to trust the "Optimize Mac Storage" option but I did not know what it was until now.

@Dan C Thanks very much for posting the link to the article!

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

I wonder if Microsoft's OneDrive Files on Demand option has any similar traps for Affinity? Note that this function is available on both Windows and MacOS.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/save-disk-space-with-onedrive-files-on-demand-for-windows-10-0e6860d3-d9f3-4971-b321-7092438fb38e

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

OK, so I've disabled iCloud optimise, but the problem is still happening.

It happens when I'm working on a file.

I've wiped my iMac and reinstalled a fresh OS, but it's still happening.

Screenshot 2019-11-11 at 13.01.33.png

Thanks for confirming that TOMMY71, as it's happening on both your desktop and laptop I believe this is a local issue with your network. Do you have a stable internet connection - or do you frequently experience drops in connection? The error message is likely showing as Affinity can no longer find the path for the file, which would happen if you lost internet connection.

I think I've fixed the problem. Since moving my work folder from Documents to the iCloud folder, it's all working fine.

There's a few bugs in the latest OS and I wonder if this is one. I've also had to ditch using Apple's Mail app as the search facility isn't reliable for large accounts. 

I formatted the drives and reinstalled the latest OS again, so it's not something I've changed or installed that's conflicting.

Thanks to everyone who offered help,

Tom