You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] 1.7.3.481 can't open any file

After update to Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 I can not open and create new file. When I open application it is running fine. Problem starts when I use File > New or File > Open. Without any message application is closed. I did update on Windows 7. After that I update OS to Windows 10 (pro, 10.0.18362.418).

I have the same issue with lates Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher.

I tried it. It is not working. I have the same problem with Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher. I tried start Affinity Designer with Ctrl and reset settings. In Event Exploret I found:

I got error (my translation from polish)

Local Activation fo application server COM with identyficator class CLSID 2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
 and with identyficator of application APPID {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402} user myname\Win10PC with identificator of SID (S-1-5-21-2082507215-3015202601-130918666-1000) from local host adress (using LRPC) working on PC in container application with identification SID Niedostępny (Unavailable). To change secure settings can mofidy by using administration tool from Service Primaries? (My translation from my OS message)

Category in System
Diary name: System
Source: Distributed COM
Identificator 10016

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>3</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-11-13T10:09:34.765789700Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>5877</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation ActivityID="{7cc7bc5d-badc-42f3-b515-baec7b7e1e98}" /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="364" ThreadID="9976" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>myname</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2082507215-3015202601-130918666-1000" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="param1">specific for application</Data> 
  <Data Name="param2">Local</Data> 
  <Data Name="param3">Activation</Data> 
  <Data Name="param4">{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}</Data> 

I can not find why, but error is reproductive. Distributed COM 10016 is still in events when I try open any file. Format doesn't matter. I try turn off distributed in Windows Update advanced section, but it is nor resolve issue.

My VGA is Quadro 2000 on laptop and I use stable driver recommended for industry called 377.83-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

Dear Sean,

thank you for your response. I have problem with following this thread. I do not have email alerts, so I'm sorry for late response to topic.

I did today steps:

1.  Run Affinity Designer
  2. Ctrl+N (default print settings)
  3. enter

Crash.

Error file attached. If it can help I have from last crash about 20 files in mentioned by you folder. Attach them too?

6c6c2644-9448-4abb-be63-90fe7a594ead.zip

It may be silly question, but Affinity Suite is compatible with Windows 10 out box or some configuration / frameworks is necessary to work it? In official data here:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/full-feature-list/

I can't find it.

• Staff

Hi affi.usr,

Thanks for your crash report, there is no need for the others. It looks like it is crashing in the DirectX Renderer when trying to draw your document area. Before reinstalling Windows I would first try uninstalling and reinstalling your Quadro 2000 drivers. Also if you haven't already checked please look through this list of software and see if you are running any of these - particularly RivaTuner:

If that doesn't work could you try running up Affinity and without creating a document go to Edit > Preferences > Performance and change the Renderer from NVIDIA Quadro 2000 to your motherboard's video chipset if you have one (for example mine is called Intel UHD Graphics 630). If you don't have an alternate option try WARP. Once changed restart Affinity and try creating a new document.

If that fails to work could you try creating a shortcut to one of the applications and add --no-hw-ui to the end of the exe in the Target field so it looks like this (obviously your path will be different) and then see if that allows you to run Affinity up.

Affinity Designer Properties.jpg

Note that if these do work it hints there is an issue with your NVIDIA driver installation, or something is interfering with it.

To answer your last question Affinity is compatible with Windows 10 1607 and up straight out of the box. We only use .NET framework which comes with that version of Windows 10.

23 hours ago, Sean P said:

uninstalling and reinstalling your Quadro 2000 drivers

I did it first.

motherboard's video chipset

I use defualt intergrated VGA, try change to Quadro. Problem is the same.

--no-hw-ui

I add as paramater to shortcuts and it is not working too.

I'm stuck. Without reinstall I don't know what I can do more. Specific stuff on my PC are CUDA developers tools, but I used it on Win 7 without problem (without interferenace to Affinity Suite). As I wrote on first post I have the same problem within Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The Microsoft Basic Render Driver is a fallback driver provided by Microsoft for when your machine doesn't have the correct drivers for your display adapter. All the work is performed by the CPU rather than the GPU and is therefore much slower.

I shall speak to development to see if there is anything you can try short of a full wipe and reinstall of Windows.

It can be Wacom driver related? I can on Microsoft Basic Render Driver quickly create new document. Troubles starts when I try move elements. I can do it by arrow, by using touchpad (Thinkpad W520) or Wacom CTH-490/K, driver 6.3.37-3.

It's looks like changing driver resolve problem with autoclose, but I have issue with performance.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:56 PM, affi.usr said:

Error file attached. If it can help I have from last crash about 20 files in mentioned by you folder. Attach them too?

6c6c2644-9448-4abb-be63-90fe7a594ead.zip

It may be silly question, but Affinity Suite is compatible with Windows 10 out box or some configuration / frameworks is necessary to work it? In official data here:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/full-feature-list/

I can't find it.

I've had a look at your crash, and it's crashing on IDXGIFactory2::CreateSwapChainForHwnd (Direct3D11) due to an E_INVALIDARG error result. Unfortunately I don't know why this is crashing, but I suspect an update to your graphics card driver is causing this (especially if it used to work). Without this function, we cannot draw to the screen, so we can't work around it. Can you confirm that this used to work in previous versions of Affinity Designer? If so, can you install a previous version and try that? If they also crash, then we can rule out the software and instead look at drivers or OS updates.

I do steps:

1. Uninstall AD

2. Reboot

3. Install affinity-designer-1.7.2

Without changing any setting it is very good improvement on speed. Default is Microsoft Basic Render Driver. I attach file which make me nuts. It is a free vector. On *.3.481 when I click I have problem with responsivness. In programming langs it is like

take_actions()

sleep.delay(600) #ms

(I'm Python oriented guy). Problem was with selecting, adding new primary shapes (rectangles), copy and paste them to new file etc.

When I change drive to Quadro 2000 - it is crashing again (close window)

Changing to inbuild Intel 3000 - the same. (close window)

WARP setting - freezing up, not crashing imediately (not close windows as settings above).

Summary

It is not crashing at the same graphics settings. Older version is more responsive at the same computer settings (nothing updated in midtime).

Thank you! Your suggestion make me feel that investing time for learning your application it was not wasted. It's pleasure has this type assistance.

11 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

IDXGIFactory2::CreateSwapChainForHwnd (Direct3D11)

I have not idea too. Only difference between Win 7 and Win 10 is from 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/dxgi1_2/nf-dxgi1_2-idxgifactory2-createswapchainforhwnd

DXGI_SCALING_NONE is not supported on Windows 7

Programming with graphics cards is out of my scope. I more webdesing / data analyse oriented. My closest coding experience is PDF generation (reportlab) and direct graphic rendering (Pillow). I use only CUDA for improve speed and it is why I use extended drivers. Quadro 2000 is older card and drivers not change a lot in last years. It has opinion stable solution for business.

test_free_vector.zip