You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported PDF slightly wrong size

I have a 120 x 120mm document in AfDesigner. When it's exported as a PDF the size is 120.3 x 120.3. The release version also has the same problem. Publisher doesn't seem to have this problem.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

It seems to me, that those issues about wrong sizes of exported documents mainly affect files set up in the metric system.

I wonder, if Serif perhaps developed the Applications based on imperial units (instead of properly using the metric system) 
which needs conversions causing rounding errors/roundoff errors.

?

Fritz

25 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

It seems to me, that those issues about wrong sizes of exported documents mainly affect files set up in the metric system.

I wonder, if Serif perhaps developed the Applications based on imperial units (instead of properly using the metric system) 
which needs conversions causing rounding errors/roundoff errors.

Internally a pdf uses PostScript points as it coordinate/measurement system, so both imperial & metric measurement systems have to be converted.

A bit more detail here. Publisher does in fact seem to behave the same as Designer. What seems to matter is the resolution set in Document Setup. Keeping with a 120mm square document a resolution of 72dpi gives a 120.3 page size, 75-70 gves 120.2 page size and 80 (and presumably higher gives the correct value of 120mm. It looks like a faulty algorithm somewhere along the line. Using APub beta I tried a few other dpi values and this is what I got:

dpi     mm
5        122
10      122
20      120.6
30      120.2
40      120
50      120.4
60      120.7

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.