You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All updates that are part of version 1 are free to owners. Version 2 will require a new purchase.

For now, though, those who bought 1.5 have gotten 1.6 and 1.7 for free, and will get 1.8 when it becomes available, probably a few months from now.

We don't know for sure what comes after 1.8. It might be 1.8.1, or 1.8.2, or it might be 1.9. At some point Serif will decide that it's time for 2.0, though, and when that happens you will have the choice of continuing to use 1.x or buying 2.0.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm guessing we were discussing purchasing via the website, I don't think the App Store can prevent users from upgrading to the latest version. Which would mean that it would be in the user's interest to purchase via the App Store. Which would be weird, because it would be in Serif's interest that users purchase via the website, so that they don't lose a percentage to Apple... 

6 minutes ago, Craig Grummitt said:

I don't think the App Store can prevent users from upgrading to the latest version.

If that was true it would mean that no software would ever incur an upgrade cost!  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Oh? @IanSGAre you saying it is possible to charge users for an upgrade within Apple's App Store ecosystem? I've not seen that.

Here's a Quora article that I found on this topic: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-charge-for-an-app-upgrade-in-the-app-store 

This article is very old, however - but I can't find anything recent on this topic. Are you aware of anything?

I don’t see, maybe a play on words, Affinity Version 2 as an update to version one.   Version two, as I have read previous comments, will basically be a new program.  One does not have to purchase the new version.  However, Version one will not see additional updates.  If this is incorrect, please correct.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

10 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I don’t see, maybe a play on words, Affinity Version 2 as an update to version one.   Version two, as I have read previous comments, will basically be a new program.  One does not have to purchase the new version.  However, Version one will not see additional updates.  If this is incorrect, please correct.

I believe you're correct.

Whichever Store one uses, version 2 will be released as a different application, requiring a new purchase. And when version 2 is released, it is most likely that Serif will stop updating version 1 at that point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I believe you're correct.

Whichever Store one uses, version 2 will be released as a different application, requiring a new purchase. And when version 2 is released, it is most likely that Serif will stop updating version 1 at that point.

Thank you Walt. I do hope Serif, especially macOS version one, will fix current Photos problems, before releasing new application.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Serif could also decide not to release V2 on the App Store and only offer it via its own website thus regaining control of its user base and no further fees to Apple

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, Craig Grummitt said:

I don't think the App Store can prevent users from upgrading to the latest version. Which would mean that it would be in the user's interest to purchase via the App Store. 

Going on this logic, does that mean that if I'd bought Photoshop 5, twenty odd years ago, from the "App Store" (if it had existed then,)  I should have been able to upgrade free to every version since? :D - Not a very good business model!!!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Serif could also decide not to release V2 on the App Store and only offer it via its own website thus regaining control of its user base and no further fees to Apple

Think of it as a purchase of a car with a three year warranty or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.  The warranty expires. The car engine is now broken, beyond repair.  It’s still your car, you own it but may never drive it.  AP for macOS Catalina Photos and iCloud is broken.  It still works, but not as expected for users.  As updates are provided free for version one, no time frame provided.  It may be months to drive AP as expected or required for macOS users.  This, I believe, is a problem.

Cecil 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 1:13 PM, PaulEC said:

Going on this logic, does that mean that if I'd bought Photoshop 5, twenty odd years ago, from the "App Store" (if it had existed then,)  I should have been able to upgrade free to every version since? :D - Not a very good business model!!!

I was just trying to get clarification on Affinity's policy as this information was difficult to find, but yes, there are plenty of examples of App Store apps that are yours to own after purchase, for all forseeable updates. Even off the App Store - FL Studio for example is over 20 years old and has always offered lifetime free updates.

As far as whether this is a good business model or not, I believe this would be up for debate or at least analysis. Free lifetime updates could motivate sales, especially when users may be tiring of the subscription model of the main competitor. It could also encourage more users to be part of an ecosystem which could then boost sales in add-ons/extra packs etc.

Do I understand correct: You want to buy a really powerful application for a more than ridiculous price and never pay any more for it in future? Dream on!

I, for my part, want paid updates, to assure that the development of this software doesn‘t come to a standstill. To rely on addons is risky, because they (or an appropriate interface) don‘t actually exist and because other scrooges certainly will insist on getting these addons for free too.

So, simply be aware, that you purchase a piece of software for the same price, which you have to pay for a monthly Adobe subscription fee. What else do you want?

By the way: There are many apps in Apple‘s AppStore, which are periodically replaced to „force“ customers to buy a new version. The most popular example in our context is QuarkXpress. This isn‘t reprehensible at all, but simply necessary to maintain future software development.

3 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Do I understand correct: You want to buy a really powerful application for a more than ridiculous price and never pay any more for it in future? Dream on!

I, for my part, want paid updates, to assure that the development of this software doesn‘t come to a standstill. To rely on addons is risky, because they (or an appropriate interface) don‘t actually exist and because other scrooges certainly will insist on getting these addons for free too.

So, simply be aware, that you purchase a piece of software for the same price, which you have to pay for a monthly Adobe subscription fee. What else do you want?

By the way: There are many app in Apple‘s AppStore, which are periodically replaced to „force“ customers to buy a new version. The most popular example in our context is QuarkXpress. This isn‘t reprehensible at all, but simply necessary to maintain future software development.

I agree with one exception, for macOS Mojave and Catalina users.  The Photos and AP has not worked for many users as long as they owned the software.  I just hope it is fixed for a period of time, before 2.0 is released.  Yes there are many workarounds suggested and some work, some do not.  I recognized that software will always have faults, this was a major one for Mac users.

Cecil 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:18 PM, Craig Grummitt said:

Oh? @IanSGAre you saying it is possible to charge users for an upgrade within Apple's App Store ecosystem? I've not seen that.

Here's a Quora article that I found on this topic: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-charge-for-an-app-upgrade-in-the-app-store 

This article is very old, however - but I can't find anything recent on this topic. Are you aware of anything?

I was thinking of "upgrades" in the general sense of being a more recent version.  Hence V1 to V2 is an upgrade rather than a different product.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10