You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hue / Saturation Layer

Ushur

I am working with hue / saturation layers (HSL) added to a pixel layer. While working with photoshop the hue / saturaion for all the pixel layer is changed equally. In Affinity Photo it seems that darker colors aren't effected the same way then lighter colors. So I exported the picture to photoshop (including all layers) and - yes, it totally looks different to Affinity Photo.

I don't understand where the difference is coming from. But the hue / saturation doesn't work for me like expected. The color is changed much more. I reduced the saturation but instead of reducing it, it seems to be raised!

Now (after working me into Affinity and converting all actual projects) I have to export all my work to photoshop and export it to png from Photoshop because the hue / saturarion in Affinity doesn't work as expected. I need a reduction of the saturation not a raise.

•    Affinity Photo: 1.7.3.481
  •    What is your operating system and version : Windows 8.1 / Windows 10 both with latest patches
  •    What happened for you : I added a HSL Layer (Color - 9°, Saturation -15%, Brightness - 24%) for my basic Skin layer, I expected a decrease in saturation and got an increase
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). Taking a base skin (human coputer charakter skin) and Add a HSL layer
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video: First the Affinity Photo result, second the Photoshop result, at last the base skin
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers: Two Monitors, Asus 4k and a Gamon 2k Tablet
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware): Nope, firts try

Thanks
Ushur

AffinityPhoto.png

Above the Affinity Photo Result

Photoshop.png

Above the Photoshop Result

And finally the Basic Skin:

BasicSkin.png

Edited by Ushur
Information added

That is interesting. I was just about to post the same thing. I opened a PSB file in Affinity Photo and did not get the same colors from the HSL adjustment layer as in Photoshop. My idea was it had something to do with HSL vs. HSV (but I am absolutely no color space expert).

I already prepared a comparison between Affinity Photo 1.7.4.481 and Photoshop CS2 (both on Windows 7 64bit). The Affinity screen does not show the imported file, but I started from scratch in both programs to reproduce and understand the difference of the adjustment layers.

It might turn out useless, now that you are already aware of the problem, but here you go:

hsl-adjustment_ps-cs2_vs_afp-173.png