You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best way to export for print

Hi,

I'm used to send AI files to printers but now with AD I have some issues. A lot of my shapes are rasterized and all the noise effects on colors are gones. Can some of you share their settings / format for exporting (with no loss) ?

Thanks !

• Staff

Hi Mushr00m,

Your document is CMYK so gets CMYK colours on export - so your RGB(127,15,15) that you entered will be output as CMYK(29,100,100,40) - this is the same value shown in Illustrator if you open the exported PDF and inspect it. It's generally best to design in one colour space or another, rather than mixing the two and that way the numbers will always be what you expect.

With regards to rasterising elements in your document on export, the best way to get good advice is to share an example and we can advise appropriately - sometimes it is something trivial, other times it is a fundamental and at least with a specific example we can try to be helpful. If you'd rather not share on the forum then you can send anything to support@seriflabs.com - we'll use it to advise you then delete the file afterwards.

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks for your answer I will make some tests but it looks you're right ^^ I was looking a the HEX value and not the CMYK value... I thought it was always the same but no. #7F0F0F and #801518 are both equal to CMYK 29-100-100-40... shame on me.

I sent you an email with the file I need to export, I can't post it on the forum because it's for a client. I fixed the unwanted rasterized part by unchecking "rasterized unsupported properties" but still missing the background noise and shadow. So if you can explain me how to export the project to keep everything for my client, it would be nice.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Aimery,

Thanks for that - I have sent you back a fixed version of your file. The rasterisation was being caused by a bug which seems to mean that any groups which have a fill colour applied to them will cause rasterisation of that group node. If you just choose the default PDF export options for output then it should export to PDF really well, complete with noisy background :)

We'll get the bug sorted out as soon as possible - sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime...

Thanks again,

Matt