You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Consistency in Merge Visible in PHOTO

There is a certain inconsistency in that Merge Visible right clicking in layers dropdown, works differently to Merge Visible in Layer menu, which works as it should and as it has always done in PS.

Is this a BUG dare I ask? Surely (stop keep calling me Surely :D) I should not have to untick layers as in layers dropdown, but merely select and fltten the SELECTED layers.

This turned out to be user error/different approach and was discussed here https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101559-merge-in-photo-what-am-i-doing-wrong/

I have now been shown how to do it in the layers dropdown by grouping and Rasterising but it would be good to have "merge selected" in that dropdown too.

Thanks

David

6 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi DavidDoesAffinity,

I can't see any difference between the two options here what is it you are experiencing? 

Thanks

Callum

There is a difference regarding what is available here on Mac. The Layers menu then the right click on a grouped set of layers and an ungrouped selection of layers.background.thumb.png.0980da95d9d52a29432d99f6c75015db.png

1 hour ago, DavidDoesAffinity said:

I have now been shown how to do it in the layers dropdown by grouping and Rasterising but it would be good to have "merge selected" in that dropdown too.

There is no need to group and then use the Context Menu or dropdown as you call it.

Use the Layer's menu item 'Merge Selected' which is always available as is the shortcut.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Old Bruce. Yes I have been shown this way. Coming from Photoshop (I still use CS6) but wanting the interaction with Publisher that Photo gives me, means that, unsurprisingly, some of my workflows have to be re learnt.( same as Publisher  v an old version of Quark) I would hope that Merge Visible would be available in the layers display with a Right click, just as the equivalent command is available in PS.

In that layers display, deselecting unwanted layers, in a similar way that I would use LayersComps in Photoshop also works  of course but takes longer.

4 hours ago, DavidDoesAffinity said:

I would hope that Merge Visible would be available in the layers display with a Right click,

I think it is just an oversight, the omission seems a little baffling.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.