You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening .eps files

Hey Guys,

I know designer can open .eps files. See the attached one. Problem is when i open this in designer on my ipad, everything is grouped and I can't ungroup. if opened in illustrator each of the assets can easily be manipulated as they are individually selectable. But in designer the file is pretty much useless. Am I doing something stupidly wrong?

Cheers,

1_UmVhbGlzdGlj.eps

No, you don't. Actually I run through this every day. It looks to me that Illustrator has some kind of proprietary eps format. Because this happens with the eps files written by Illustrator only. 

I've found that you could simply open those eps in illustrator, copy and paste in Designer. The pasted objects will be simple and natural as it should be.

• Staff

I have tested your .eps file on my iPad and using the ungroup all operation the layer will ungroup but it will take several minutes due to the number of elements in the group, if the eps was originally created in Illustrator their is an embedded ai file that that program uses when the eps is opened. if you are getting the image from a stock website it may be worth seeing if they have a pdf version of the drawing.

11 hours ago, DWright said:

I have tested your .eps file on my iPad and using the ungroup all operation the layer will ungroup but it will take several minutes due to the number of elements in the group, if the eps was originally created in Illustrator their is an embedded ai file that that program uses when the eps is opened. if you are getting the image from a stock website it may be worth seeing if they have a pdf version of the drawing.

Thanks for the response, yep you can actually un group, I do think I fully explored this. When I then tried to drag a selection box around say just one asset, it appears to select everything, but actually you can move what you’ve selected as well as few other layers selected by mistake, so not ideal,  but certainly workable, thanks!

13 hours ago, Fravin said:

No, you don't. Actually I run through this every day. It looks to me that Illustrator has some kind of proprietary eps format. Because this happens with the eps files written by Illustrator only. 

I've found that you could simply open those eps in illustrator, copy and paste in Designer. The pasted objects will be simple and natural as it should be.

Hi, thanks for replying. Yep I did end up breaking everything up in illustrator, but I’m actually lucky to have a subscription at the moment which I soon won’t have, also kind of defeats the object just wanting to use affinity designer a little I suppose!