You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo edits can’t be exported from Apple Photos

Steve108

Regrettably I have upgraded to Mac OS Catalina, this has broken my use of Affinity Photo. The problems are:

1) Any image stored in Apple Photos can not be reimported after editing via the Affinity Photo extension.

2) Any image that was edited pre Catalina and has been reimported can no longer be exported from Apple Photos, the export is a jpeg of the original image, all editing is lost.

3) The duplicate function in Apple Photos does not work for images that have been edited in Affinity Photo.

The consequences are that there is no longer an efficient workflow so continued use of Affinity Photo and Apple Photos is no longer viable.

Any edits that have been stored back to Apple Photos are no longer accessible, this is a disaster.

Duplicating edits in Apple Photos is no longer possible.

I would have expected these major problems to be highlighted by Serif with a warning to all customers not to upgrade, instead there is a recommendation that 1.7.3 is compatible with Catalina. 

Help

I had made a copy of my hard drive prior to upgrading to Catalina.  After all the bugs in Affinity Photo, I went back to Mojave by reformatting my internal hard drive and copying from my cloned copy.  As of today, I don't want to move to Catalina as long as there is some hope Serif will fix this.  

Said differently, welcome to our nightmare.  

We've been told "fixed sometime" for a very long time now.  I, and others here, are starting to wonder if it will ever be fixed.  If they are not going to fix it, I think Serif needs to be transparent with us and say so.  I really don't want to go to Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop but if this isn't going to be fixed in the coming weeks, I, and I assume most of us, really have no choice.  Sooner or later, other apps will stop working with Mojave and we'll need to move to Catalina or whatever is coming after it.

Frustrating.

After extended period of time, it seems a recall is needed for macOS AP, MAC & IPAD.  Now they are releasing iPad at 50% off and does not work 100% with iPadOS.  It does not work with intended import, save to Mac apps.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection