You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refine edge - square, bad looking edge in Affinity Photo

Hi!

I found that cutting backgrounds in product photos I've have to work on is somewhat tricky in Affinity Photo. I try to switch from PS to AP, but similar functions in both programs gives different effects.

See attachments and you see squared edges in AP, and smooth (no feather etc.) edge in PS.

Any suggestions?

photoshop.png

affinityphoto.png

• Staff

Hi Pudens :)

When selecting in Affinity Photo, did you use the Refine option? It may be that PS are automatically applying smoothing (feathering) to your selection, whereas this is not the case in AP. I recommend creating your selection, then using the Refine options to smooth your selection before applying it. Does this produce cleaner results for you?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, could you provide a sample of the image used in your screenshot so I can look into this further for you?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Why not use the pen tool to do this, you have a continuously editable mask and you can add a very slight gaussian blur to haze the edge.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-10-at-10-17-55.png

zeppelin Curve mask.afphoto (10Mb) 

Forgot to put the curve mask back to 100% it's at approx 60% so just up it back to 100% :$

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Lagarto said:

Those internal parts where something that i initially missed and then just used the flood selector without refinement to cut them out so they are worse than the outer edges where refinement was applied. I have not used the selection tools of Photo long enough to use them effectively and they work a bit differently than in Photoshop (where the combination of shift edge, smooth and contrast help you create perfect cut-outs for these kinds of objects with uniform background) .

Ok, ok. I see.

47 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Why not use the pen tool to do this, you have a continuously editable mask and you can add a very slight gaussian blur to haze the edge.

I love pen tool and prefer to make mask via paths. Usually I have not 5 or 10 pictures to cut backgrounds off, but hundreds of products photos. Tools that automate selections saves a lot of my work time. :)

54 minutes ago, Pudens said:

I love pen tool and prefer to make mask via paths. Usually I have not 5 or 10 pictures to cut backgrounds off, but hundreds of products photos. Tools that automate selections saves a lot of my work time. :)

Ah, yes, not very practical using the pen.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response Pudens! If you select the watch using the selection brush, then enter Refine Selection and add 2px worth of Smoothing and Feathering, then apply your selection - does this provide more desirable results?

• 1 year later...
  • Staff
1 hour ago, Chita said:

Why is not possible to have choice "Soft edges" by both - Selection brush and Flood selection?

Unfortunately this option is not available for the Flood Selection tool, however I will ensure this is listed as an 'Improvement' with our developers.

I hope this helps :)

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately this option is not available for the Flood Selection tool, however I will ensure this is listed as an 'Improvement' with our developers.

I hope this helps :)

Yeah, it would be greate!