You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curvers change position while changing layer order + tool cursor position offset

Hi,
I have found few weird bugs.
1. As in topic. Curves change position when I change layer order (see video in attachments).
2. All tools seem to be off from my current mouse position, but when I use pen tool the second node and every node after that seem to be positioned correctly (I work on wacom cintiq 24 hd; also see the other video)
3. In general when transforming things something is wrong, but I can't define a pattern for this behavior.

What I did before those bugs started to happen:
I have to build a system of simple drawings which will be automatised later on. To do that I have to have a lot of small files of the same dimensions.
To do that I vectorised resources sent to me by client in Corel Draw X5 and copied the result into Designer to then work on it.
My workflow looked like this:

• Open project 01a and vectorised resources
  • copy resources into 01a
  • change few curves and make some adjustments / create new curves
  • save 01a
  • save as 02a
  • clear the content
  • copy other resources
  • change few curves and make some adjustments / create new curves
  • save 02a
  • save as 03a....

By this point I made something around 60 files with this workflow.
I attached few projects and I believe 06a should still behave correctly.
Those problems don't show up on new documents.

Windows 10 / the newest version of AD

06a.afdesign

07a.afdesign

08a.afdesign

curves change position.mkv

tool pointer offset.mkv

• Staff

Hi IDT Adrian,

Thanks for the files and videos. It looks like the 'Layer' object in the files has some same attributes. Just drawing a new object inside that Layer in one of those documents will cause it to appear offset and then trying to resize it will cause a lot of shaking.

If you open one of your files and drag the contents outside of the 'Layer' object and above it (ensuring the 'Layer' object is empty) you should find you don't get any of this weirdness,

Would it be possible for you to do a screen recording (of the entire screen) showing your workflow from CorelDraw into Designer? It could be an attribute that Corel is adding that isn't being reflected in Designer!

Sure, but unfortunately during the recording I forgot to cover a sensitive data like name of the client and directories on my disk drive. I realised that during the recording and I could cover them in post production but it takes time :)
Is there any way to send the video file to you directly so I wouldn't have to censor anything?

I'll attach all the other files except the video.

preview 2.afdesign

preview.afdesign

Background_1.cdr

Background_1.pdf

Background_2.png

• Staff

Thanks for the files and video! Annoyingly the new ones you've recorded are behaving for me when I open them. None of the shapes or objects are offset when moving or giving any weirdness that the earlier files had. I don't suppose you had one of those PDFs you imported earlier that was giving the faulty behaviour? I assume you've overwritten them by now though!

I've passed it on to development to see what might be up with the file, but if you've got a PDF that gives that behaviour after importing that would be very useful!

Yes, sadly. I have one with full set from yesterday. It was overwritten, but maybe it will be useful. I think the problem started when I "saved as" the .afdesign file multiple times. Maybe some kind of variable just hit its capacity.

I've added a full set of characters from yesterday to the dropbox you made earlier

• Staff

Thanks for the files, unfortunately the PDF there seems to be fine!

If you do encounter this again, would you be able to make a copy of the PDF and then try opening it in a new document and seeing if you get the same issues please? As mentioned though I have passed your file on to development to investigate.

I managed to replicate it again. My suspicions are that it doesn't matter if you use traced pdf or not. I think it's more a matter of constatly rewriting the same file. This one was reused like 60-70 times today.
Pdf wasn't overwritten. I started to save traces on new files so it would'n teg overwritten by accident.
I hope it helps.

23e.afdesign

vectorise 3.pdf

• Staff

Thanks for the two files! I'm still able to make the layers move in your document! However when I import the PDF, delete all the contents except one, add the curves together and delete some nodes to tidy it up i'm still not getting the behaviour you are when moving layers. 

If you still have the AFDesign file open with document history could you tick 'Save History with Document' on the File menu and attach that file please? It might be worth saving your files with this on as I have a feeling some manipulation inside Affinity is causing it!

Its very strange!

Unfortunately I closed it almost right after saving the fileto create a clean one and redo the file structure on a new one. 
Would it help if I make an example on the file I sent you and save the example with saved history?

I probably will encounter more of those problems in around 2 months since those files would be used in automated system which should do around 800-1200 of those a month. If I get something during tests I'll try to provide the files :) 

• Staff

If you're able to reproduce it using that PDF on a new document that would be great. If you could also capture that process on video that would also be great!!

If you want to get through the files without encountering the weirdness it would probably be best to remove all the objects from the Layer that gets imported, delete it and then create a new Layer.

Actually, if you mention the layers.... I changed the method a bit. Previously I was importing the layer from pdf and the saved file had over 1 mb of size, but this time I created a fresh layer from AD and saved files have mosty less than 100 kb. This time I only imported the curves from the pdf. I hope that helps in any way :)

I may try to replicate that bug, but it takes few hours to do so... it's hard to justify those hours in working environment, but I think it will come up as soon as I start to write and test automisation for the process.

I have only few images to vectorise so I can record those on the file I started after the "23e" got corrupted. Maybe it will help in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok it seems saving file with history messes things up really fast!
Different kind of bug.
First check the source file here
https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/hand-drawn-teddy-bears_836244.htm#query=teddy bear&position=15
I chose a teddy bear on top right. The task was to move lineart to the front and delete the extra overlaping lines. I was doing this by copying curves with fill and just substracted their shape from the curves with lines. Sometimes I had to hit ctrl+z and after a while whole geometry got messed up across whole history.

I hope that helps :)

19f.afdesign