You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So I've clipped an image with a shape. (Don't know for sure if it's called 'clipping'). I'm not able to select the image anymore. For example, I like to enlarge and rotate the image. How can I do this? See screenshot attached.

Currently, when I select the image, the image AND clipping shape are selected.

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 13.28.41.png

Hello wvanderzee, just left click once on the thumbnail image of the clipping layer to select it.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Try to click on the layer thumbnail image only, in order to select just that one. - When in trouble click and drag it out of that position move it above and left, apply your changes and then re-clip the layer.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

23 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Try to click on the layer thumbnail image only, in order to select just that one. - When in trouble click and drag it out of that position move it above and left, apply your changes and then re-clip the layer.

Yes, that's my way to go now. But hope there's a quicker way doing it.

23 hours ago, markw said:

Hello wvanderzee, just left click once on the thumbnail image of the clipping layer to select it.

I can select the image, but if I want to transform it (e.g. rotate), the clipping path transforms also. Is it possible to transform the image only whilst it is clipped?

Make sure the image that is being clipped is selected in the layers panel, (there will be a thin white border around it’s thumbnail denoting this), now look at the Context Toolbar at the top of the window and tick ‘Lock Children’. (if the Context Toolbar isn’t visible go to View > Show Context Toolbar to activate it)
With this selected the image and the clipping mask can both be moved, rotated, etc… independently.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M