You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Am I right in thinking that I assign a ICC profile before I go to a chosen printer to a photo?

Can I turn off Color management as in Photoshop to use a custom Printer profile?

As I print out to different printers, I suppose I would then take that profile out before saving or assign another profile if I wanted to output to a different printer...

Thanks

Nic

Actually, it would be good to have a tutorial on colour management, profiles, ICC, soft proof etc in AD/AP...

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

The usual workflow is to choose an RGB profile for the document such as sRGB, Adobe 1998 RGB or ProPhoto RGB. Do all you image work and then when you go to print, choose the paper profile in the printer dialog. The software will handle the conversion from your document profile to the profile for the paper you will be using for your print. Photo does offer the ability to preview what your image will look like when printed which is called Soft Proof and it will appear as a layer. You select the paper profile which you will use for printing in the Soft Proof dialog and assess any changes you might want to make to the image. There is no assignment involved.

As to turning off color management, I just started trying Photo and haven't looked at that yet but Apple has made that quite difficult since around 10.5 or 10.6. So difficult that Adobe stopped trying to turn it off through their apps. They came out with a separate Color Print Utility in December of 2010 for that purpose but as far as I know, they haven't done anything with it since it's initial release. When I make paper profiles, I print the targets (which require color management be turned off) through the profiling software which does turn color management off.

The usual workflow is to choose an RGB profile for the document such as sRGB, Adobe 1998 RGB or ProPhoto RGB. 

Hi Jim, if your going to print, wouldn't you create your doc in CMYK?

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

You use CMYK for two main reasons: you are going to send it to a professional printing service (commercial use project) that uses a CMYK workflow for their presses or you are going to print to an inkjet printer using a RIP (raster image processor software) which uses a CMYK workflow. If you are going to print an image, you use an RGB workflow. Illustrator (and I imagine Designer) can print to an RGB device as well if you are doing art for yourself.