You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I used Photoshop Elements, there was an option to convert greyscale (or colour) to lineart which was quite useful. It seems like there is no such thing in Affinity Photo, am I right?
I am not thinking of any tricks turning an image into something like a pen drawing, but just converting a scanned image (like a pen drawing) from greyscale into lineart or pure black and white.

You could try the Posterise adjustment filter or the Threshold adjustment filter.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yes, I know about that, but it isn't what I am after. First of all, a pure line art image would reduce the file size, but it would also be an easy way to keep it purely black and white without losing details. But I guess there is no such option in Affinity Photo. Neither in Designer, I think. Perhaps I should post it as a suggestion then?

There are already suggestions for a trace feature, you could look at Inkscape which has a simple trace feature. There are also quite a few online options for tracing a sketch like: https://www.usetracy.com and https://www.vectorizer.io

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yes, but i don’t have Photoshop CS6. I had Elements 10 but as of Catalina 32-bits applications are no longer supported. GIMP is of course a solution but it’s not that important to me in my current workflow and using yet another programme just adds to the confusion:) But let’s hope Serif will add it and also the tracing feature, although that’s another story. After all, we’re still on v.1 and where was photoshop then? 

Thanks for the suggestions anyway. Appreciated. 

No, not really. It’s a bit difficult to explain but when I draw on paper and scan it in, especially if it’s larger than A4 and I need to scan it in two parts, merging them in affinity photo, sometimes I get some shadows or smudges and an easy way to remove them, would be to convert to lineart. I can do it by using select tool and delete, or even adjustment filters, but that option was a quick way to resolve it. 

These are the kind of images I’m dealing with. I scan them in as jpegs and grayscale. I merge them in Affinity Photo and need to remove whatever grey there might be. A quick way to do that is to convert it to lineart when they are merged. Other solutions are possible but that feature was the easiest and quickest way. 

Uten navn 2.jpg

Uten navn.jpg

Treshold 50% is the quickest solution in APhoto I think. See attached image of comparison between APhoto and Photoshop. Unfortunately we will never see a bitmap mode in APhoto.

Offtopic: In September I was on vacation near you on Singö. Lovely area there. :)

bitmap.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks for the suggestions and I’ll try out Unsharp mask. Perhaps it’ll do it with a little tweaking. 
As for off topic: I like that - but I think Singö is in Sweden. Anyway, it’s in the same corner of the world, at least:) But I think the landscape out here differs a bit, but I can recommend it :) I’m rather new to the place, though. 

Just for Info, in Photoshop Elements the Sketch: Graphic Novel seems to get the correct effect and looks decidedly like a beefed up Threshold filter.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-08-at-07-53-53.png

Thanks for the suggestions and I’ll try out Unsharp mask. Perhaps it’ll do it with a little tweaking. 
As for off topic: I like that - but I think Singö is in Sweden. Anyway, it’s in the same corner of the world, at least:) But I think the landscape out here differs a bit, but I can recommend it :) I’m rather new to the place, though. 

3 hours ago, Wilfred Hildonen said:

The problem with that is that it no longer works with macOS Catalina, since it’s 32-bit. 

Photoshop Elements 2020 works with OS X Catalina that is where the screenshot of the filter is from. 

You can try G'MIC which offers and supports a bunch of filters. It's usable standalone, online, from apps like GIMP is scriptable etc. etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2