You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ayup Malcom,

Spanish?! If you can hear someone with a bit of a brummie drawl that he's desperately trying to hide, then that's me. Anyone else is not me - I do all the voice overs for my courses. But the screen grab walt.farrel has very kindly shown is what I was describing. But I'll try to be more helpful. If you go to this link - https://www.udemy.com/course/the-craft-of-photoshop-solid-foundations/?src=sac&kw=the+craft+of+photoshop and look at the Introduction video from 1 minute 54 seconds (it's a free preview) I use the Affinity Photo: Modern Special Effects course to explain all about things like downloading files, using the video commands etc. Hopefully that will give a bit of insight.

Simon

Hello

It was me who made the reference to Affinity Revolution in another post.

https://courses.affinityrevolution.com/

I purchased the beginner course for Publisher. My level of incompetence made me look for a course that did not assume knowledge. As many of the youtube courses do. You are correct when you say they inadvertently make it a display of their own high level skills. Affininty Revolution show something, then immediately tell you to try it on your own, coming back when you are done. I am only on chapter 4, having done each chapter a number of times before moving on. Looking at other courses I can now see what they are doing but I would struggle to comprehend how they got to where they did. Another comment is that the course is specific to Publisher, and not an add on to another package. 

It will be some time before I'm able to complete my goal.

Regards

Ross

3 hours ago, drippy cat said:

Ayup Malcom,

Spanish?! If you can hear someone with a bit of a brummie drawl that he's desperately trying to hide, then that's me. Anyone else is not me - I do all the voice overs for my courses. But the screen grab walt.farrel has very kindly shown is what I was describing. But I'll try to be more helpful. If you go to this link - https://www.udemy.com/course/the-craft-of-photoshop-solid-foundations/?src=sac&kw=the+craft+of+photoshop and look at the Introduction video from 1 minute 54 seconds (it's a free preview) I use the Affinity Photo: Modern Special Effects course to explain all about things like downloading files, using the video commands etc. Hopefully that will give a bit of insight.

Simon

Hi again

Here is a screen grab of what I have got from your courses via  udemy, hope I've got the right ones brummy/me duck/geordie !!??

As you can see the one furthest left is the one that I meant :

871183078_Screenshot2019-11-28at21_26_51.thumb.png.52d4db3af2e237421eca6f331cac74ed.png871183078_Screenshot2019-11-28at21_26_51.thumb.png.52d4db3af2e237421eca6f331cac74ed.png871183078_Screenshot2019-11-28at21_26_51.thumb.png.52d4db3af2e237421eca6f331cac74ed.png871183078_Screenshot2019-11-28at21_26_51.thumb.png.52d4db3af2e237421eca6f331cac74ed.png

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi again Malcom. I don't know how to say this without sounding like a d**k but have you checked the name of the author of the leftmost course, just underneath the course title?

Cheers m'dear,

Simon Foster not Hector Carrasquilla

edit: Actually I think it's Staffordian Manc Chorleyite Notts Laandan Athens Geordie bit confused these days. So you can cuss me out any which way you want and I'll probably get the message.

41 minutes ago, drippy cat said:

Hi again Malcom. I don't know how to say this without sounding like a d**k but have you checked the name of the author of the leftmost course, just underneath the course title?

Cheers m'dear,

Simon Foster not Hector Carrasquilla

edit: Actually I think it's Staffordian Manc Chorleyite Notts Laandan Athens Geordie bit confused these days. So you can cuss me out any which way you want and I'll probably get the message.

Hi again

Glad we had this conversation , just checked my credit card & found that UDEMY have hit me with the full price course £279.96, it was on offer when I purchased but I just dnt know the exact price it was on offer for, just fired the details & complaints off the UDEMY, hope they refund.

Screenshot 2019-11-28 at 22.22.51.png

What the hell?! Too right you get a refund! Their policy is that you have 30 days to get a refund back. I don't think I've ever seen anyone pay anything like that price and to be honest I didn't think anyone would. Get the refund. Although this is the first I've ever heard of anything like this and I have no control over it I can only sincerely apologise. If you want to click on any of the links in the tutorials section on this forum where I've posted about the Black Friday sale then that's your absolute right to say yes or no to. I issued those links and coupon codes in my latest post just today and I see no reason why they wouldn't work.

Were they offering those courses in the screenshot as part of a bundle?

Once again, in spite of me having no control over how they market the courses I do and being unaware of anything like that situation, my apologies to you. I would never have been so chatty/familiar with you if I'd known.

Simon

Hi Simon, its good news & a very quick response from UDEMY, they have just got back to me & refund a preliminary refund of £240.00.

Don't blame yourself, its not your fault & I have no qualms with regards to yourself, you seem a very reasonable person so don't beat yourself up me duck.

They blame their billing system but all the same it was a far better immediate response than I expected, mistakes do happen but its how they are rectified that also matter, this was very good as I was in shock for 30 mins, well done to UDEMY.

Alls well if it ends well, I will listen to your dulcet tones on the lesson tomorrow, that should be a soother!!.

Malcolm

Very pleased and relieved to hear it Malcom.

14 minutes ago, RoyalBulwell said:

Alls well if it ends well, I will listen to your dulcet tones on the lesson tomorrow, that should be a soother!!.

I'll give you 20 minutes before you gently nod off!

Actually it's got me thinking. I get the chance to send out promotions to existing customers twice a month. But usually I never do unless I have a new course to offer because I don't want to be one of those pushy types that ends up spamming people. But on the other hand there are times when Udemy don't do offers and you end up with situations like you've just had. So maybe I should consider sending out a monthly general offer on my courses so that people do get a chance once a month to use a coupon and get the courses. Once a month shouldn't be too naggy..?

Simon

8 hours ago, drippy cat said:

Very pleased and relieved to hear it Malcom.

I'll give you 20 minutes before you gently nod off!

Actually it's got me thinking. I get the chance to send out promotions to existing customers twice a month. But usually I never do unless I have a new course to offer because I don't want to be one of those pushy types that ends up spamming people. But on the other hand there are times when Udemy don't do offers and you end up with situations like you've just had. So maybe I should consider sending out a monthly general offer on my courses so that people do get a chance once a month to use a coupon and get the courses. Once a month shouldn't be too naggy..?

Simon

Morning Simon, sounds good, Im sure all folk would appreciate anything that would give them understandable knowledge, especially on an in-depth editing programme like AF, well its in depth for me at least.

19 minutes ago, drippy cat said:

Hi Ross and Malcom. Ok, I'll try and make it a regular end of the month promotion. I'll do a direct mail shot to existing customers and put a post here - provided it's ok with the forum moderators here.

That seems a good idea Simon, is this learning curve open ended as far as AP editing is concerned, does it just keep rolling?.

thanks for your time

What I'm thinking of is running a promotion to buy the existing courses for $9.99 each or whatever that converts to in local currency towards the end of each month instead of just when I release a new course. As for new courses, in the new year I'm thinking of starting a new one about enhancing real world portraits with Affinity Photo. Professional techniques and workflow to be sure, but real world people and not 16 year old models in full makeup with studio lighting.