You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

Yesterday I was on here after a long absence,Things have certainly moved on apace  since I was last here, anyway, yesterday I read an article about a tutorial called Affinity Revolution, it is  pay for you tube based video instructions. I was wondering if it was any good & worth purchasing  or can the same be found for free on this excellent forum?, would appreciate any info.

Also I am finding this forum a little daunting to navigate since I was last here, the products seems to be "mingled" into one, I have AP but I find it difficult to just find topics about AP as a stand alone, I am seeing Designer/ Publisher mixed up in the threads, am I not looking in the right place?.

Thanks for any advice that you could give me.

Royal Bulwell

Welcome back.

I have not seen the Affinity Revolution tutorial videos myself so I can’t say whether they offer anything different/better to the free tutorial videos that are available, however, a quick look at the course content overview of the Photo course doesn’t seem to show anything which is remarkably better than other – free – tutorials that I have watched. My suggestion would be to use the free stuff until you can’t get any further and then ask for suggestions on more specific topics in these forums before paying for anything. As often with this sort of thing, the answer for you is probably partly down to whether your money is more important to you than your time.

For example, the Pixel Perfect Selection course may look a bit expensive at $40 but if the techniques it teaches let you get on with what you need to do without spending hours or days on wasted experimentation then maybe it’s worth it. In the end, what’s useful to other people may not be what is useful to you. I might find it incredibly educational while you might think “Well, I already knew all of that.” If you have a specific need then maybe someone can say if a specific course is worth trying but, without knowing what you already know, it’s difficult to suggest whether they would be useful to you personally.

As for the forum being a bit “mingled”, that’s pretty much just the way things are. Since the three applications share a lot of functionality it would be difficult to split things out into very delineated areas. For example, all three applications have an export function which works (as far as I know, and for the purposes of this answer) the same in each. If someone finds a specific problem with export in Photo then it could well also be a problem in Designer and Publisher and the users of those applications may want to know about it.

Some organisational efforts have been attempted by the moderators but to do something really well would require someone (or a group of people) with moderator access to go into each thread, read it all, and create the appropriate tags based on the content of the posts, which probably isn’t going to happen. Even threads specifically posted in, for example, the Designer-related forums can spread over to a discussion about Publisher or Photo depending on what is being discussed. At the moment, search is your friend, even though it doesn’t always work the way it looks like it should (or it didn’t the last time I had problems with it) and you sometimes need to figure out the exact search terms to use first.

The best way to ask about something is to take a guess depending on which of the forum names comes closest to your topic and then let the moderators move the thread if they think that’s necessary.

Separating forum, by Affinity Programs, has run it course, dividing the for or against.  Desktop Windows/MacOS into three separate threads, the same for iPads.  I often find myself weeding through 20-40 post, seeking one that provides the info I seek, sometimes titles eliminates or offer program name that I may skip, if looking for Photo.

So I will not attempt opening this can of worms. It seems, the subject divides hardcore for those that own two or three products, not the single user of one product.  I will not deny one can learn tips and tricks across platforms.  I also suggest the user should make the decision to read all or those specific to their needs.  Yes it would require triple devision of programs and enlarge forum for related products.

Concerning tutorials, all offer different degree of user interface, tools, and composite. Udemy and others offer Kindle and Books downloads, with applicable resources, to work offline.  My wish, someone will offer a subscription base, downloadable magazine, based on specific program.  I just don’t have the knowledge to know if it would be profitable.  Seek the free tutorials first and purchase paid versions worth the $$$.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Most of the official video tutorials are great to watch and very interesting but, for me, they offer very little in the way of “why” I should be doing what the tutor says, and just as importantly why I shouldn’t do it another way. The same goes for a lot of the unofficial tutorials.

Some are – in my opinion – no more than the tutor showing off what they can do rather than actually teaching anything. (Not all, but some.) For me, a tutorial should teach and not just show. Most tutorial videos that I’ve seen – not just for Affinity products – are more of a lecture than a lesson. Do this, do that, do this other thing, there goes the bell, see you next week class. I suspect that quite a few so-called tutorials on the web have been created purely to boost the author’s web presence for getting kudos or work rather than a genuine attempt to teach anyone anything. That could be just my cynicism coming through but the amount of time I’ve wasted watching videos to come out from them being none the wiser in regards to what I want to actually do is quite high.

However, even if a tutorial is brilliant with lots of description and discussion, lots of experimentation is still needed to really get to grips with the concepts and where you would use them. (I’m still way down in the flat part of the learning curve on most of the functionality in the Affinity products.)

The videos available on the official website are only those that have been released for the latest versions. If you want more you can find some – official but a bit older, or unofficial – in the Tutorials forum on this website. There are loads of lists of tutorials in there but it can be difficult to find the ones you need at any given time. For instance, how do you know if you need to learn levels adjustment, or the channel mixer, or the displacement filter or the clone brush if you don’t know what these things do? If you don’t know what you need to do you can’t know what you need to learn.

Because of that difficulty, if you have specific needs for a specific piece of work I would recommend that you give an example of what you want to achieve – “I want to make an image that looks something like this” – and ask for pointers to get you started. Otherwise you could be learning a lot of things that you might never actually use.

4 hours ago, Cecil said:

Separating forum, by Affinity Programs, has run it course, dividing the for or against.  Desktop Windows/MacOS into three separate threads, the same for iPads.  I often find myself weeding through 20-40 post, seeking one that provides the info I seek, sometimes titles eliminates Publishes, or other program I may skip, if I looking for Photo.

So I will not attempt opening this can of worms. It seems, the subject divides hardcore for those that own two or three products, not the single user of one product.  I will not deny one can learn tips and tricks across platforms.  I also suggest the user should make the decision to read all or those specific to their needs.  Yes it would require triple devision of programs and enlarge forum for related products.

Concerning tutorials, all offer different degree of user interface, tools, and composite. Udemy and others offer Kindle and Books downloads, with applicable resources, to work offline.  My wish, someone will offer a subscription base, downloadable magazine, based on specific program.  I just don’t have the knowledge to know if it would be profitable.  Seek the free tutorials first and purchase paid versions worth the $$$.

As regards the forum you quote exactly my thoughts, I am completely new to Affinity Photo, which I chose over Adobe Elements etc thinking it would be an easier learning curve, alas!, I find the threads very difficult to manoeuvre around in, so "mingled" together, especially for a beginner.So much so, that when I come out of this forum completely I find difficulty getting back to where I was before.

On the tuition, when I can find it, it seems very good, the help on here from the users is very very good, so thanks to one & all.

@RoyalBulwell, it is not the easiest page to find but https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/notifications/options/ allows you to set up various options you can set to be notified of new content. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks

Don't suppose that you have any knowledge of how to import pics into AP, this is to get them from Photos on Mac Book Pro into the AP to edit.I have been told that it is not possible but it just seems silly that this cannot be done being as AP is a Apple/Mac based editing suite.

Thanks again

34 minutes ago, RoyalBulwell said:

Thanks

Don't suppose that you have any knowledge of how to import pics into AP, this is to get them from Photos on Mac Book Pro into the AP to edit.I have been told that it is not possible but it just seems silly that this cannot be done being as AP is a Apple/Mac based editing suite.

Thanks again

I have used Mac for photo editing for years (decades) and have never used any of the Apple photo software for any of it. I just did a quick test and could open the photo from Photos in Affinity Photo by using the right click and selecting Affinity Photo from the context menu. I should note that I am using Mojave, OS 10.14.6

910591960_ScreenShot2019-11-08at10_58_08AM.thumb.png.40e65d2e78f11b4da495981f25ebd3ad.png

I would strongly suggest you rely on using the Finder to organize your photos and disregard the convenience of Apple's Photo. As much as I like the Mac I have found that much of the convenience gives me more problems than solutions. I also don't trust iCloud or any other 'cloud' based storage. My 2 cents worth of cranky old man 'wisdom'.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi

Thanks but that doesn't work for me (Catalina) If I try to open a pic to bring into AP I click new but from the option that are available the apple Photo is greyed out so no clicks work.

How do you mean that you use finder to organise, I don't understand.

Thanks

16 hours ago, RoyalBulwell said:

Hi

Thanks but that doesn't work for me (Catalina) If I try to open a pic to bring into AP I click new but from the option that are available the apple Photo is greyed out so no clicks work.

How do you mean that you use finder to organise, I don't understand.

Thanks

Go to Apple Photos, locate photo you want to edit.  Double click the photo, upper right click Edit, go to eclipse (...) flyout will say Extensions.  Click and look for Edit In Affinity Photo and click.  The photo should open Affinity Photo program.  A known bug prevents saving your edits to Apple’s Photos app.  You can export to any folder on your Mac.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Some of the better tutorials I've found are by Simon Foster, known on this forum as @drippy cat. found on Udemy. Affinity Photo Tutorials on Udemy

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

10 minutes ago, RoyalBulwell said:

Hi

Cheers for that link, I have been into the first 5 free lessons, found them very, very good.

I am going to now pay for the next stage.

Once again thank you

I hope the tutorials assist you, as they did me.  One thing comes to my attention.  Many of the tutorials are expensive if new.  You can find many at a reduce cost, US $10, if you can resist the latest release.  I always wait until the price is reduced.  Newer courses are based on composites or manipulation of tools to refine a photo. 

Cecil 

3 hours ago, Cecil said:

I hope the tutorials assist you, as they did me.  One thing comes to my attention.  Many of the tutorials are expensive if new.  You can find many at a reduce cost, US $10, if you can resist the latest release.  I always wait until the price is reduced.  Newer courses are based on composites or manipulation of tools to refine a photo. 

Having said that i have just gone back into the website & all the prices have rocketed from 10 to 99 dollars, just my luck

That is normal, they will be reduced.  I hate to think out loud but I think they depend on catching those that will pay $99 for a class, when the program cost $50.

Cecil 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cecil. No worries for thinking out loud & I understand where you are coming from. I don't think anyone has ever paid $99 for any of my courses. Udemy are always putting on some kind of promotion which I'm not sure I like. I'd much rather put the course on the site with a fair price and take my cut. Then occasionally have a sale at a sensibly reduced price without all of the semi constant 'massive savings of up to 90%!'  malarkey. And I'm sure you know as well as I do that if everyone puts their courses at $199.99 reduced to $9.99 and I put my course up at $19.99 reduced to $9.99 - who's offering the bigger perceived bargain? So you have to play the game or people think your videos are the cheap and cheerful ones.

That said I'm sure they know their business better than me and I'm the first to admit I'm the worst sales rep in the world. It's the old difference in outlook between the suits and the anoraks & I'm in the anorak camp.

But naturally I'd like to see people like RoyalBulwell (Alright duck? Spent some of the best summers of my life in Nottingham) investing in my courses and also naturally I'd like them to get the price that's good for them. So after I've finished this I'll create a new post with some Black Friday deals over at Udemy.

Cheers,

Simon

@drippy cat I purchased about three of your courses and enjoyed all.  If I have one suggestion, change your photos.  Old shoes, etc., with new photos if you update or create new lesson.  Thanks.

Cecil 

24 minutes ago, drippy cat said:

Hi Cecil. No worries for thinking out loud & I understand where you are coming from. I don't think anyone has ever paid $99 for any of my courses. Udemy are always putting on some kind of promotion which I'm not sure I like. I'd much rather put the course on the site with a fair price and take my cut. Then occasionally have a sale at a sensibly reduced price without all of the semi constant 'massive savings of up to 90%!'  malarkey. And I'm sure you know as well as I do that if everyone puts their courses at $199.99 reduced to $9.99 and I put my course up at $19.99 reduced to $9.99 - who's offering the bigger perceived bargain? So you have to play the game or people think your videos are the cheap and cheerful ones.

That said I'm sure they know their business better than me and I'm the first to admit I'm the worst sales rep in the world. It's the old difference in outlook between the suits and the anoraks & I'm in the anorak camp.

But naturally I'd like to see people like RoyalBulwell (Alright duck? Spent some of the best summers of my life in Nottingham) investing in my courses and also naturally I'd like them to get the price that's good for them. So after I've finished this I'll create a new post with some Black Friday deals over at Udemy.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Me duck!

Glad you enjoyed your Nottingham era, you should have been here in the 60s 70s & to a degree the 80s, it was wild...& great!

I have purchased 3 of your courses but not had much time to get into them unfortunately, what I did notice was, on the short things I have had a go at, is that they seem different to the demo one I watched before I purchased, one noticeable one is that on the demo it says when you purchase you download a pre loaded picture & the tutorial will guide you as to why you are editing & the process to do it, but I cannot find it, could be me though!.

I have also purchased Essential Affinity Photo by Robin Whalley, that lets you download a pic from his sight & the book takes you through the why's & where's of the editing.

Ya reet, pet? (Living in Newcastle now...) I was spending my summers in Nottingham from about the mid 80's & oo yes! Wot fun I had!

Thanks for investing in the courses you have done. I hope they do give a lot of learning as and when you can make the time.

The downloads problem you mentioned has thrown me a bit. Normally when you watch the videos on something like Chrome you get a side bar to the right. If there's a photo to be downloaded there will be a little box next to the titles of the videos that says 'resources'. Click on that and you get any and all available downloads for that lecture. Most of the photos I use on the Solid Foundations course are available and I think after that pretty much all the photos I use on other courses are there and waiting. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Simon

2 hours ago, drippy cat said:

Ya reet, pet? (Living in Newcastle now...) I was spending my summers in Nottingham from about the mid 80's & oo yes! Wot fun I had!

Thanks for investing in the courses you have done. I hope they do give a lot of learning as and when you can make the time.

The downloads problem you mentioned has thrown me a bit. Normally when you watch the videos on something like Chrome you get a side bar to the right. If there's a photo to be downloaded there will be a little box next to the titles of the videos that says 'resources'. Click on that and you get any and all available downloads for that lecture. Most of the photos I use on the Solid Foundations course are available and I think after that pretty much all the photos I use on other courses are there and waiting. If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Simon

I don't see any sidebar or photo to download, I am on MacBook Pro , so a little different from the chrome browser which is safari.

Im not sure but one of the video "lessons" seem to be with a guy instructing that has a bit of a Spanish accent, took me by surprise as I thought it would be lessons from yourself, hope Ive not snacked the download up.

Thanks me duck

Malcolm

1 hour ago, RoyalBulwell said:

I don't see any sidebar or photo to download, I am on MacBook Pro , so a little different from the chrome browser which is safari.

As long you're on Udemy, and not watching the lesson in full-screen mode, you should see a sidebar like this, in my experience:

image.png.b9685062296a49516487f0baa9de4b31.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1