You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot open any Affinity desktop app on Mac (High Sierra)

None of the Affinity (1.7.3) apps will open. I downloaded new .dmg files of each and deleted the existing apps. Copied all three into my Application folder. Following is a basic timeline when trying to open each:

:00 click icon

:02 minutes–Verify window opens and progress bar immediately jumps to 2/3 and stays there for next 30+ minutes

:34 minutes–Verify progress bar drops to 0 and starts moving up

:37 minutes–Verify progress bar gets to 2/3 again and "Are you sure you want top open…? pops up (click yes)

:39 minutes–Verify bar gets to 100% and it closes, icon in dock is still not active (i.e., no "tick" to indicate the app is open)

:40 minutes–Quits or crashes, icon in dock disappears, there is no dialog box saying the app has crashed

On trying to relaunch each app, it will bounce for about 2 minutes before I get the Not Responding message in the Force Quit Applications window. Then it quits by itself.

This is all very strange to me as I've not seen anything like it and have no idea how to troubleshoot this situation. Do I need to delete preferences from someplace or otherwise do a more thorough  uninstall?

And I've no idea if it's related, but I'm also having a lot of trouble with Creative Cloud apps not opening, too.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what might be going on here and what I can do next to get back to work.

Thanks!

Mark

• Staff

Hi Gerber :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

10 hours ago, Gerber said:

And I've no idea if it's related, but I'm also having a lot of trouble with Creative Cloud apps not opening, too.

It certainly sounds as though your Mac may be the underlying cause here, but I'm a little unsure of the exact reason your apps currently aren't loading.

I recommend running a First Aid on your hard drive through Disk Utility, you can find out how to do this here - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/disk-utility/dskutl1040/mac

If this doesn't help, it may be a permissions issue on your Mac, you can reset your permissions by following the instructions here - https://macpaw.com/how-to/repair-disk-permissions

Please do let me know if either of these steps help! 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...