You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked master image does not update on page

markabur

I have a linked .ai image placed on a master page, and I have the automatic update option turned on.

When I change the image in Illustrator and save it, I get the notification that the linked image has been updated and I see the changes on the master, but the page to which the master is applied does not update -- somehow it keeps the old version of the image, even though the old version of the image file no longer exists on disk. This makes me think the image is linked on the master page, but it's embedded everywhere else, or something like that? Very strange.

Anyway, I have to re-apply the master to the page in order to see the updated image. I would expect that master updates always automatically go onto the page, especially for linked images.

Hi Gabe, thanks -- here you go, and some screenshots too. The only strange thing about my setup is that the afpub is currently on my desktop, while the .ai file is in a folder under Documents. I haven't tried putting them in the same folder to see if that makes a difference. The document was initially created with the automatic updating option turned off, though it has always been "Linked preferred". 

2099141015_ScreenShot2019-11-07at9_30_36AM.thumb.png.268c885623948ddeb50ab47953f670b5.png

1319856023_ScreenShot2019-11-07at9_31_01AM.thumb.png.18b25757ef485fdf8d1d17b88b48e3c9.png

pinecroft-logo-white.ai

pinecroft-12509.afpub

41 minutes ago, markabur said:

The only strange thing about my setup is that the afpub is currently on my desktop, while the .ai file is in a folder under Documents.

The pinecroft-logo-white.ai file is listed on my Mac after downloading it as "pinecroft-logo-white.ai.ps" After removing the .ps things worked okay, meaning I didn't get a crash.

Affinity Publisher_2019-11-07-102010_Mac-Pro.crash

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Perhaps because I downloaded from the forum, and I don't have Illustrator on my machine.

1742074320_ScreenShot2019-11-07at10_39_09AM.thumb.png.8b3c307350386a5e6e3ac2d5e1e1b811.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That could be. What's happening for me is very strange, if the image is truly linked. It prints the old version of the logo, even though it no longer exists. It seems to be using embedded image data, even though all the images are supposedly linked. Actually the filesize supports this idea, as it's 4.1MB with the so-called "linked" images, but drops to 10KB when I delete the images. 

1926572562_ScreenShot2019-11-07at10_53_49AM.png.ebd1a96a234cba6dc4dbd01ec000249d.png995840818_ScreenShot2019-11-07at10_53_39AM.png.3d9ed1b4e1400576028cb9689f187c38.png

Great, thanks. To me the biggest problem is that "linked" doesn't really mean linked -- as in, the linked file isn't read from the hard drive when the page is printed. It seems that linked files are embedded, and they get re-embedded when the link is updated. I guess that means linked images don't actually need to be present at the time of printing?

15 minutes ago, markabur said:

. It seems that linked files are embedded

That is true, currently, for Linked documents. Only Linked images (JPG, TIFF, PNG) are truly and completely Linked in 1.7. Linked documents, in 1.7, are Embedded but have some of the characteristics of truly Linked files (ability to detect changes, primarily).

1.8 is making some changes in this area.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Page box > Artbox does nothing) of the program in the latest Affinity Publisher beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below. Once Affinity Publisher has been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update to all customers.

The 1.8.0 builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I just tried the beta 1.8.0.518 with the same document as above, and now the logo does update on both the master and non-master.

However, when I first opened the document, the logo was a different size than before, as it had been in ArtBox mode in v1.7.3, and the beta changed it to Trim Box. I tried changing it back to ArtBox, but that didn't work (none of the Page Box options seems to work, in fact).

• 8 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Page box options not working) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

This has always been the case with PDF files. Once you embed a PDF, it is interpreted and we no longer keep the PDF file, so linking it back would be impossible. (Valid for 1.8.4)

We have introduced PDF passthrough in 1.9 beta, so will see if it's something that can be done to make an embedded pdf(set to Passthrough) linked again. 

25 minutes ago, markabur said:

You removed the ability to have linked PDFs? Why would you do that?

No, that's not what he said. You can still have Linked PDFs and Embedded PDFs.

What you cannot do, and have never been able to do in Publisher, as far as I know, is to Embed PDF and later use the Resource Manager to convert it to a Linked PDF.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, markabur said:

How? Whenever I place a PDF it comes in embedded, with no option to link it instead. 

When you create your document in Publisher you have a choice of "Prefer Embedded" or "Prefer Linked". Just specify "Prefer Linked" and any file you Place will be Placed as Linked instead of Embedded. After the fact you can change the document preference for Linked/Embedded using File > Document Setup, which will affect files you Place after that.

-- Walt
PC: