You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to get a vector from Affinity to Photoshop

Hi all, I've searched high and low for this answer, could you help?

When I copy a vector in Affinity and paste it in PS, it gets placed as a smart object. I need it to be placed as a vector object. Can this be accomplished?

On a sidenote, I'd love if when I double clicked a vector thumbnail in PS it would open in Affinity and let me edit and save there. Currently Affinity does open the vector and edit it, but when I save it just wants to save it as a new file in the computer.

• Staff

Hi SidianMSJones,

Welcome to the forums :)

I think this is the only way you can do this as PhotoShop doesn't properly support vector objects. You can read more about this here: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/17865/how-to-create-vector-graphics-in-photoshop

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

When I copy/paste from Designer to Photoshop I get "Vector Smart Object". It is not though editable it seems. I do not know if it should be as support for vectors is not something PS excels in. 

Pasting to Illustrator results normal editable vector objects.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving an old topic. I was looking for a solution to this specific case as well. If anyone still needs this, here is my workaround:

1. In Affinity Designer, select the vector shapes you wish to export to Photoshop.
  2. Go to File > Export, select PSD with the following options:
    • Preset: PSD (preserve editability)
    • Area: Selection Only (optional)
  3. Click Export to save your PSD file.
  4. Open the newly created PSD file in Photoshop.
  5. You should be able to access the vector data in the layer's vector mask.

I was using Affinity Designer 1.10.4 and Adobe Photoshop CS4. This method isn't as fast as copy and paste, but if it works, I'll take it!

I hope this helps someone. :)

On 11/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, SidianMSJones said:

However pasting a vector from AI to PS gives me an actual vector shape, which is great, so we know it is possible to do.

Possible for Adobe, who are likely using proprietary code to do this. You could always look out for Adobe Illustrator CS versions for sale on one of the auction sites, facebook etc.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions