You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fonts do not view/show properly

I am a typedesigner and like to test my fonts in Affinity Publisher. Every time that I update the font I need to close Affinity Publisher and then the view of the font is in a kind of low resolution. When I make a new document the updated version of the font is right again, but I need my original testdocument to work in.
What can I do to change that?

Fonts are loaded only when the application starts.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

10 hours ago, Nieck said:

What can I do to change that?

Use a Mac? (Just joking but I think font changes are updated in realtime in the Mac versions, although I am not certain of that.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Fonts are loaded only when the application starts.

Thanks for your reaction. This is something I noticed and is different than InDesign, but for now I can work with it. The fonts do not refresh and I need to make a new document and copy and paste all the text in the new document.

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Do you mean that the font does not ever get updated or appear in full resolution in the original document (even after you have created a new document with an updated font operating fine there)? Doesn't it update even if you type in some new text using the font in the same document? I'd try "save as" (saving under the same filename) to see if that could purge any old stuff stored in the file. 

Thanks for your reaction. When I make a complete new document the fonts appear in full resolution. I will try save as.

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Font cache does get updated "real-time" also on Windows, but in Affinity apps not in Windows way (even Notepad gets updated in a couple of seconds), but within a minute or so (depending on the number of fonts installed), probably because Affinity apps enumerate font menus from the scratch rather than simply refreshing them.

Sorry, no "real-time" here, I noticed after an hour or so the font are updated, but that is too long. It is good advice to look at the number of fonts installed.Do you know what a good number can be without having the problem of a long delay before the font gets updated?

20 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

think it updates only when you do some text-related operation, like select the text tool, etc. It does not seem to update on its own.

Unfortunatly, this does not make any difference. It only works if I make a new document with the updated font. The save as try did not work.

20 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

I have got about 700 fonts installed on my laptop. It takes about 30 seconds from Publisher to get fonts enumerated and previews created after I remove or install a font.

I have 787 active fonts at the moment and use Font Explorer XPro version 6.0.3

I also try to drag and drop the fonts in the file  User -> Library -> Fonts but that does not seem to work either.

Probably of little or no help but FWIW, I run 10.13.6 on my old iMac (specs in my sig below my posts) & use Font Book to manage my fonts. At least so far, I have not seen any delays associated with updating fonts but I am not actually modifying any fonts, just activating, deactivating, installing, or deleting them via Font Book.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks @Lagarto and @R C-R. At this moment I switched back to InDesign, because I need to finish stuff. But I will look into it this weekend and try to uninstall Font Explorer and use only Font Book. Hopefully that will sove the problem and I can go further with Afinnity Publisher.

5 hours ago, Nieck said:

Thanks @Lagarto and @R C-R. At this moment I switched back to InDesign, because I need to finish stuff. But I will look into it this weekend and try to uninstall Font Explorer and use only Font Book. Hopefully that will sove the problem and I can go further with Afinnity Publisher.

Please let us know if using Font Book helps. As I said, I am not modifying any existing font files, so since, as I understand it, you are modifying your fonts 'on-the-fly' (so to speak), I do not know if that will improve the font update performance in Affinity.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 6:59 PM, R C-R said:

Please let us know if using Font Book helps. As I said, I am not modifying any existing font files, so since, as I understand it, you are modifying your fonts 'on-the-fly' (so to speak), I do not know if that will improve the font update performance in Affinity.

Font Book does help a bit, it takes a while before the font is 'normal' again and get updated to a full resolution. I hope this will  be better in the near future.

It is also a bit cumbersome to quit and restart Affinity Publisher to see the updated font.