You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help needed with Topaz Plugins

Getting help from Topaz Labs is liking talking to a wall. They brought in a new operations manager, Eric Lowery, and he made encouraging words about cleaning up the mess, but I am seeing no improvement in their responsiveness.  I send them emails requesting help and I receive an automated reply acknowledging that they received my request, but it takes a week before I receive an answer to my question. And, if their answer doesn't solve my problem, it takes another week (if I am lucky) and so forth. I have a chain of emails going back to 8 October (before Catalina) trying to resolve the plugin problem.  

I loaded their AI plugins into Affinity Photo and they show up under Filters > Plugins, but when I try to use them nothing happens; they don't even start-up.  They do work as stand alone but not as Affinity plugins. And, yes I did restart Affinity Photo.  I am using Mac OS 10.15.1 and AP 1.7.3 on a 2019 iMac and I have the latest versions of the plugins.

1351565702_ScreenShot2019-11-05at3_36_50PM.thumb.png.43b7702304bf3c9744e348b3d1fa10e6.png

Well PS Plug-ins that have so far not gone through Apple's notarization process will probably make problems under Catalina. I could imagine that it's due to Mac OS Catalinas stricter security changes here, especially if Adobe software has the same problems then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Have it all running flawlessly in Mojave 10.14.6 and think it must be a Catalina issue! 

That's why I wait with updating!

I've been working all day with Adjust AI, Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI in Affinity Photo.

I am beta tester for Mask AI and can confirm that it also works in Mojave and Affinity Photo too.

2065237599_ScreenShot2019-11-06at9_27_37AM.thumb.png.067e58ce0e069d630e94b30f05e0c831.png

DWright, Here is my Preferences window

Media Lab, When I went to my new iMac with Catalina, I performed a reboot and a clean install of each plugin. The Topaz apps are working with no problem as stand-alone.

I am obviously doing something wrong and I cannot figure what it is.

There is no entry in "Plugin Search Folders" and "Plugin Support Folders" in your case, so set them up properly to point to where the Topaz tools are installed.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Just to be sure that you use the proper paths in Affinity Photo I posted a screen shot for you!
Example:
/Applications/Topaz Sharpen AI/Topaz Sharpen AI.app/Contents/
You can add the path in the “Plugin Search Folder” by clicking “add” the panel opens and you have to do CMD + Shift + G now you can fill in the path etc. Don't forget to click "Authorise Global" and see if the / slash appears in the Plugin Support Folders Panel.

It is possible that you have to click ones on "add" under the "Plugin Support Folders" panel and then activate "Authorise Global".

Restart Affinity Photo.

Regards,

David

See also: https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001129351-Serif-Affinity-Photo-Using-Your-Topaz-Labs-Plug-ins especially Step 3 + 4  there. You have to point to the Topaz tools folders.

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

See also: https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001129351-Serif-Affinity-Photo-Using-Your-Topaz-Labs-Plug-ins especially Step 3 + 4  there. You have to point to the Topaz tools folders.

Tried that tutorial in the past but it did not work! When you do as I pointed out you get the proper paths!

6 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

Tried that tutorial in the past but it did not work! When you do as I pointed out you get the proper paths!

Since the Topaz tools are individual apps you have to point to every of their apps folder. Thus they probably say here ...

Mac: Follow the path shown and choose your desired program folders individually

Their images there are just for Win so maybe slighly confusing for Mac users.

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Since the Topaz tools are individual apps you have to point to every of their apps folder. Thus they probably say here ...

When you read my post that's exactly what I'm instructing him to do, but then in a way that works on a Mac! That tutorial is obsolete and has to be renewed by Topaz staff. 

Did you click "Authorise Global", because it needs to look grayed out  and only a / (slash) should appear in the "Plugin Support Folders" panel.

First "remove" the path, then  Authorize global, then add the path like this: /Applications/Topaz Adjust AI/Topaz Adjust AI.app/Contents/

Just copy and past my path.

You can add the path in the “Plugin Search Folder” by clicking “add” the panel opens and you have to do CMD + Shift + G now you can fill in the path etc.

To get the slash in:

a.) Affinity Photo -> Preferences -> Photoshop Plugins.

b.) Plugin Support Folders -> Add

c.) Shift+Cmd+G to bring up "Go to the folder" text input.

d.) Type "/" (in other words, root, everything). Press "Ok" a few times.

e.) Photo should show just "/" in the plugin support list.

(only / of course)

Click Authorise Global

But then remove the wrong path and put the proper in the way I explained before:

/Applications/Topaz Adjust AI/Topaz Adjust AI.app/Contents/

Restart the application