You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher can not import properly its own exported PDF

1. Create a document with some figures with a font that offers Figure Styles Default and Lining. Turn the Figure Style into Lining.

2. Export and open the PDF: Everything fine.

3. Open the PDF with Publisher: A mess. In some cases Lining is ignored, in some cases (Constantia, Corbel, Gabriola) the figures are turned into characters.

One of the things that should be definitely fixed. Please. Attached are a few documents, go ahead and try yourself (if you own the used fonts).

Versalziffern-Constantia.pdf

Versalziffern-Corbel.pdf

Versalziffern-Gabriola.pdf

Versalziffern-Milo.pdf

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Export and open the PDF

Your Export settings may be important. In particular, on the More... dialog which fonts did you tell Publisher to export, and did you have them complete or subsetted?

You might try with these settings to see if it helps:

image.png.ebe63ee52f56ca1ade3ead814daa2e00.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not subsetting fonts worked for Constantia, Corbel and Gabriola, but not for Milo which is my main font I have to use.

Just to clarify: Subsetting means only the font information of characters that are used in the document will be exported to PDF? Hmm, the Lining figures are used. Anyway, thanks Walt, one more point in my workflow to obey.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Constantia, Corbel and Gabriola - are OpenType with TrueType outlines
MiloOT - is OpenType with PostScript outlines

These different font types are embedded differently (based on the PDF specifications).
APub is better at importing OT-TrueType fonts (when not sub-setted).
APub seems to have problems importing OT-Postscript fonts - no matter the source.

@Joachim_L
For testing and to demonstrate ... I have converted MiloOT to TrueType and sent you a link (via PM).
I changed the name to MiloOT-TTF - so you can install it without affecting your original.

My guess is that will work like the other fonts.

Thanks to @LibreTraining for his efforts to solve my little problem. I did some tests and unfortunately the Lining is still not kept on import. Tried subsetting and embedding all fonts. Interesting fact: Even Illustrator CS 6 has problems opening the PDF. Where there is Lining the font is converted to curves, with the modified font I get crossed rectangles (subset) where there should be characters with Lining.

I fear the font is broken in some way, which is bitter, because buying the font (years ago) was not cheap. :(

------

@Joachim_L
I should have read your original post(s) more closely ...

I looked at the font and the default figures are the proportional old style.
When you select lining figures it is an OpenType feature which does the substitution.
Those lining figures are "unmapped" which means they are not mapped to Unicode code points.
So there can be no Unicode code point attached to the glyphs when output to PDF.
(This is probably why IL just converts the glyphs to curves).

Many newer fonts will put all the replacement glyphs up in the Unicode Private Use Area.
You will see these called "PUA" fonts.
That way the alternate glyphs can have a Unicode code point.
And older applications which read Unicode (but not un-mapped glyphs) can access the characters.

So the problem is the lining figures have no Unicode code point which can be attached to the glyph in the PDF.
They are orphans that the apps do not know where they belong.
Which means there is nothing we can do with this.

Some font licenses allow you to modify them for your own use.
If that is the case you could make the lining figures the default figures in the standard Unicode code points.

Or use different font in which all the characters/glyphs are mapped to Unicode code points, or default figures are lining.