In all Affinity apps, you can go to the Language option in text styles to select the spell check language.

2060223400_Screenshot2019-11-06at10_56_13.jpg.9f722d03e73a7c3c1f460ae1215f2461.jpg

How do you select American English? It only lists UK English. 

54 minutes ago, DWright said:

I have raised this issue with our QA team as this issue is only happening with the Mac version

Doesn't this have something to do with either with the language set in Affinity Preferences > General, or possibly System Preferences > Languages & Regions (or both)?

I ask because with the Affinity Preferences > General set to "English (United States)" & with "English (U.S.)" set as the primary language in System Preferences, these are my only choices:

170753681_spellcheckstylechoices.jpg.1143fda06fba81f23d83e501244fa5fa.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Doesn't this have something to do with either with the language set in Affinity Preferences > General, or possibly System Preferences > Languages & Regions (or both)?

I ask because with the Affinity Preferences > General set to "English (United States)" & with "English (U.S.)" set as the primary language in System Preferences, these are my only choices:

170753681_spellcheckstylechoices.jpg.1143fda06fba81f23d83e501244fa5fa.jpg

I think the OS version is important too, I use English (Canadian) in the OS and have no other language chosen in the OS System preferences but have a much larger list available. This is on 10.12.6 while you are on 10.13.6

1658134966_ScreenShot2019-11-06at6_26_56AM.png.35dd7dd5417edb075c87966e37df7d64.png

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.8.3 | Affinity Photo 1.8.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.3.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.8.3.180 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.3.651

7 minutes ago, DWright said:

The Mac shows the dictionaries in the native language so yo have English US you will have to change the Mac OS language.

Do you mean in Affinity's preferences or in System Preferences? 

Affinity Photo 1.8.3, Affinity Designer 1.8.3, Affinity Publisher 1.8.3; macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 
1.8.3.180 & Affinity Designer 1.8.3.2 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

21 minutes ago, DWright said:

Hi @R C-R,

It is the Mac system preferences

There must be more to it than that because even if (for example) I set the primary language in System Preferences to Canadian like @Old Bruce did, I still get the same short 4 item list as before, not the much longer one he did.

Affinity Photo 

54 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There must be more to it than that because even if (for example) I set the primary language in System Preferences to Canadian like @Old Bruce did, I still get the same short 4 item list as before, not the much longer one he did.

Okay I am flummoxed, I have my language set in all the various Publisher Preferences to the same, English Canada. The list I have for choosing in the Publisher Preferences is the same as the Text Styles Language dropdown. I run a lean system and I rarely change from default settings for 99% of the applications I use. There are only the dictionaries from the OS, there have only ever been the dictionaries from the OS and no third party utilities aside from an Audio driver, the Wacom stuff and a Monitor utility.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.8.3 | Affinity Photo 1.8.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.3.2 | Affinity Photo Beta 1.8.3.180 | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.3.651

I have set my language to US in Mac system preferences and also in Affinity Preferences.

I have restarted the Mac.

But it still only shows "English UK" in Affinitiy text styles. 

So now we have three different behaviors: my 4 item list, Bruce's 16 item one, & big mile's one shown in the OP.

Hopefully, the QA team can figure out why this is happening & if there is anything we can do so all of us see the same thing.

Affinity Photo 

Is there a workaround for this? It's super annoying, as it's all too easy to spell words the British English way when they should be in American English. Thanks for any help. 

On 11/6/2019 at 3:55 PM, DWright said:

Hi @R C-R,

It is the Mac system preferences

On my Mac my 3 Preferred Languages are set as: English US, French and Italian, and my main language is set as English US.. I still get that same issue of having only English (United Kingdom) accessible for spelling in Publisher when it comes to English.

However if I change my Region (under Language & Region) from Switzerland.. to United States, then in Publisher my choice for spelling changes from English (United Kingdom) to English (without any further mention next to it..).

Of course I will not keep my Region set to United States as I want my temperature, units etc to match my culture.. at the Mac System level..

Any fix for this? It is still an issue in 1.8. Is there a work around to get American English to appear? I have English US set as the primary language in Mac OS System Preferences and still nothing. 

Hi big smile,
Go to System Preferences > Keyboard section, Text tab (on top), click the Spelling dropdown on the right and select the last option Set Up.... Add/tick U.S. English  and press Done. Restart Affinity Publisher. A new English option should appear in the Language dropdown now. It has no locale/region specified - i mean it appears just as English in the list - but should work correctly: it's US English (the missing locale issue was already logged).

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi big smile,
Go to System Preferences > Keyboard section, Text tab (on top), click the Spelling dropdown on the right and select the last option Set Up.... Add/tick U.S. English  and press Done. Restart Affinity Publisher. A new English option should appear in the Language dropdown now. It has no locale/region specified - i mean it appears just as English in the list - but should work correctly: it's US English (the missing locale issue was already logged and should be fixed soon).

Thanks, this works! :)

On 1/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, ianstudio said:

On my Mac my 3 Preferred Languages are set as: English US, French and Italian, and my main language is set as English US.. I still get that same issue of having only English (United Kingdom) accessible for spelling in Publisher when it comes to English.

However if I change my Region (under Language & Region) from Switzerland.. to United States, then in Publisher my choice for spelling changes from English (United Kingdom) to English (without any further mention next to it..).

Of course I will not keep my Region set to United States as I want my temperature, units etc to match my culture.. at the Mac System level..

Ah! This is probably my issue. I live in Brazil, but I have my language settings set to US English. All is fine on my computer, and in Affinity Publisher preferences I can select English US, but upon restart, this option doesn't show in the Text Style option. I'd really rather not change my region to US to avoid a weird bug. I too prefer my temps, units, etc. to match the culture I'm living in on my computer. 

On 2/28/2020 at 9:23 AM, MEB said:

Hi big smile,
Go to System Preferences > Keyboard section, Text tab (on top), click the Spelling dropdown on the right and select the last option Set Up.... Add/tick U.S. English  and press Done. Restart Affinity Publisher. A new English option should appear in the Language dropdown now. It has no locale/region specified - i mean it appears just as English in the list - but should work correctly: it's US English (the missing locale issue was already logged).

OMG! I should have read further. Who would have thought 'Automatic by Language' would have been set to UK English??? Restarted Publisher after updated the System preferences... and now I can find all the styles with the 'missing dictionary' error and fix them so it stops underlining all the differences in spelling between US English and UK English. Thanks so much!