You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

54 minutes ago, DWright said:

I have raised this issue with our QA team as this issue is only happening with the Mac version

Doesn't this have something to do with either with the language set in Affinity Preferences > General, or possibly System Preferences > Languages & Regions (or both)?

I ask because with the Affinity Preferences > General set to "English (United States)" & with "English (U.S.)" set as the primary language in System Preferences, these are my only choices:

170753681_spellcheckstylechoices.jpg.1143fda06fba81f23d83e501244fa5fa.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Doesn't this have something to do with either with the language set in Affinity Preferences > General, or possibly System Preferences > Languages & Regions (or both)?

I ask because with the Affinity Preferences > General set to "English (United States)" & with "English (U.S.)" set as the primary language in System Preferences, these are my only choices:

170753681_spellcheckstylechoices.jpg.1143fda06fba81f23d83e501244fa5fa.jpg

I think the OS version is important too, I use English (Canadian) in the OS and have no other language chosen in the OS System preferences but have a much larger list available. This is on 10.12.6 while you are on 10.13.6

1658134966_ScreenShot2019-11-06at6_26_56AM.png.35dd7dd5417edb075c87966e37df7d64.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, DWright said:

The Mac shows the dictionaries in the native language so yo have English US you will have to change the Mac OS language.

Do you mean in Affinity's preferences or in System Preferences? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, DWright said:

Hi @R C-R,

It is the Mac system preferences

There must be more to it than that because even if (for example) I set the primary language in System Preferences to Canadian like @Old Bruce did, I still get the same short 4 item list as before, not the much longer one he did.

Affinity Photo 

54 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There must be more to it than that because even if (for example) I set the primary language in System Preferences to Canadian like @Old Bruce did, I still get the same short 4 item list as before, not the much longer one he did.

Okay I am flummoxed, I have my language set in all the various Publisher Preferences to the same, English Canada. The list I have for choosing in the Publisher Preferences is the same as the Text Styles Language dropdown. I run a lean system and I rarely change from default settings for 99% of the applications I use. There are only the dictionaries from the OS, there have only ever been the dictionaries from the OS and no third party utilities aside from an Audio driver, the Wacom stuff and a Monitor utility.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

So now we have three different behaviors: my 4 item list, Bruce's 16 item one, & big mile's one shown in the OP.

Hopefully, the QA team can figure out why this is happening & if there is anything we can do so all of us see the same thing.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi big smile,
Go to System Preferences > Keyboard section, Text tab (on top), click the Spelling dropdown on the right and select the last option Set Up.... Add/tick U.S. English  and press Done. Restart Affinity Publisher. A new English option should appear in the Language dropdown now. It has no locale/region specified - i mean it appears just as English in the list - but should work correctly: it's US English (the missing locale issue was already logged).

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi big smile,
Go to System Preferences > Keyboard section, Text tab (on top), click the Spelling dropdown on the right and select the last option Set Up.... Add/tick U.S. English  and press Done. Restart Affinity Publisher. A new English option should appear in the Language dropdown now. It has no locale/region specified - i mean it appears just as English in the list - but should work correctly: it's US English (the missing locale issue was already logged and should be fixed soon).

Thanks, this works! :)

On 1/18/2020 at 10:11 AM, ianstudio said:

On my Mac my 3 Preferred Languages are set as: English US, French and Italian, and my main language is set as English US.. I still get that same issue of having only English (United Kingdom) accessible for spelling in Publisher when it comes to English.

However if I change my Region (under Language & Region) from Switzerland.. to United States, then in Publisher my choice for spelling changes from English (United Kingdom) to English (without any further mention next to it..).

Of course I will not keep my Region set to United States as I want my temperature, units etc to match my culture.. at the Mac System level..

Ah! This is probably my issue. I live in Brazil, but I have my language settings set to US English. All is fine on my computer, and in Affinity Publisher preferences I can select English US, but upon restart, this option doesn't show in the Text Style option. I'd really rather not change my region to US to avoid a weird bug. I too prefer my temps, units, etc. to match the culture I'm living in on my computer. 

On 2/28/2020 at 9:23 AM, MEB said:

Hi big smile,
Go to System Preferences > Keyboard section, Text tab (on top), click the Spelling dropdown on the right and select the last option Set Up.... Add/tick U.S. English  and press Done. Restart Affinity Publisher. A new English option should appear in the Language dropdown now. It has no locale/region specified - i mean it appears just as English in the list - but should work correctly: it's US English (the missing locale issue was already logged).

OMG! I should have read further. Who would have thought 'Automatic by Language' would have been set to UK English??? Restarted Publisher after updated the System preferences... and now I can find all the styles with the 'missing dictionary' error and fix them so it stops underlining all the differences in spelling between US English and UK English. Thanks so much!

• 3 months later...

I've done all the forementioned steps for the spell check options and still see only English UK in Publisher. No English US. My Mac system language setting is U.S. English, keyboard setting is also U.S. English.

Could the problem be that I'm still in "trial" mode?

I'm on an iMac running Sierra 10.12.6, live in Greece.

I have exactly the same issue: System Preferences / Spelling set to US English, as well as in Affinity Publisher General Preferences. Still no option to select US English for any of my Text Styles, only option is UK English. Mac OS 10.15.4, Publisher version 1.8.3.

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Could the problem be that I'm still in "trial" mode?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

No, that is not the problem. The Trial and Retail versions are identical in functionality.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, melamers said:

I have exactly the same issue: System Preferences / Spelling set to US English, as well as in Affinity Publisher General Preferences. Still no option to select US English for any of my Text Styles, only option is UK English. Mac OS 10.15.4, Publisher version 1.8.3.

Do you have a plain "English" available for a Spelling Language?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, and no. My options are the same as the image from the first post: UK English only

On 6/8/2020 at 11:57 PM, walt.farrell said:

FYI, the suggestion to change the computer's "Language & Region" works. I changed mine from Greece (where I live) to U.S. English (where I'm from), restarted Publisher and the language is now automatically set to U.S. English. Not sure how that change in the computer settings is going to impact anything else, though.