You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to Xpress (and back)

Hello,

I'm currently working on a magazine layout for a non-profit association. Unfortunately the person charged to page up every issue, for reason unknown to mankind, is still using Xpress (2018) and refusing to switch. So I was wandering if there is a way to port the initial layout form Publisher to Quark Xpress.

Please tell me that's possible: I really, really, really don't want to waste my time fighting a software designed decades ago and never really updated in usability.

11 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Hello,

I'm currently working on a magazine layout for a non-profit association. Unfortunately the person charged to page up every issue, for reason unknown to mankind, is still using Xpress (2018) and refusing to switch. ...

Good for them.

If you are going to collaborate, you need to be using the same software. That applies to ID or anything else. If you are not going to use QXP, then they should find someone else.

11 minutes ago, NightSky said:

... So I was wandering if there is a way to port the initial layout form Publisher to Quark Xpress.

Please tell me that's possible: I really, really, really don't want to waste my time fighting a software designed decades ago and never really updated in usability.

If the job is completely/fully being transferred to you, rebuild a template. Else, again, use QXP.

12 minutes ago, NightSky said:

... Please tell me that's possible: ...

The only vehicle to use a QXP layout would be for them to provide you a PDF for which you can open in APub and do the work all over again. Which, aside from being dumb, would incur a good deal of work and is a one-way street and not a viable means of collaboration, if that is the goal.

12 minutes ago, NightSky said:

... I really, really, really don't want to waste my time fighting a software designed decades ago and never really updated in usability.

This just demonstrates all sorts of ignorance.

Use APub. Use QXP. I could not care less. But fighting a process already in use is only going to cause problems for everyone involved.

Good luck.

QXP is the main stay of many a professional designer. QXP has it's quirks and foibles but it's been used by professionals for a long time for a good reason. Affinity Publisher is good but QXP is in another league, it's earned it's stripes.

Financially it is cheaper for the QXP user to buy Affinity Publisher but I think he/she would find Affinity Publisher limited compared to QXP.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions