You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and Replace bug

There is a problem with the find and replace panel in that it does not include either Paragraph or Character Styles if they are listed as "Show Hierarchical" and the list is closed. I cannot see the styles held by the Base Group.

930057529_ScreenShot2019-11-05at10_53_10AM.thumb.png.f1d317091b9a26743f3030f57d04cc25.png

and after expanding I have all of them.

1688362218_ScreenShot2019-11-05at10_53_49AM.thumb.png.c5868717a4ddc8328d7ee8cd1395b235.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have noticed that before too. I didn't know whether it was a bug or intentional. I can imagine that it may be helpful in cases where a person has a very large number of styles, but it has tripped me up a few times, because I keep forgetting to expand before I search.

2 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

I have noticed that before too. I didn't know whether it was a bug or intentional. I can imagine that it may be helpful in cases where a person has a very large number of styles, but it has tripped me up a few times, because I keep forgetting to expand before I search.

Perhaps we could get the ability to expand the groups in the search area? Not sure how that would work, if it could work.

Your point of a very large number of styles is well taken, I hadn't really considered that, perhaps it should stay as is then.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

That is to say, I think it would be useful if there was a popup window for the Find & Replace panel. Find and replace is essentially a complex matter, so I imagine a dedicated window-based UI rather than just a menu-based system would make a lot of sense. :)

7 hours ago, A_B_C said:

I think it would be useful if there was a popup window for the Find & Replace panel. Find and replace is essentially a complex matter, so I imagine a dedicated window-based UI rather than just a menu-based system would make a lot of sense.

I think that is in fact what we have presently when we search by format, except that we cannot pick paragraph and character styles this way. Those are in drop-down menus, but all the other formatting options present an interface very similar to the edit text styles interface.

Should we also suggest that styles be added to that interface?

Of course, you are right. We already have the Format panel. So I think it would be sensible to have something like this. In my opinion, it would be much more comfortable to use. You could even highlight a text style, such that the parameters would be sent to the panels accessible from the list on the left, and then adjust particular settings to search for local deviations from a single UI. :)

Text-Styles.png.f9f511ec26c22ffb5bfe15afa8f67f6a.png

EDIT I guess that idea is not too brilliant as it stands. As we should be able to select a paragraph style and a character style at the same time. Seems like menus are indeed the way to go, even if they feel rather cumbersome. Hmm.

Edited by A_B_C
Second thoughts

56 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

What do you mean by the “format modal”?

I probably should have written it more fully as "the format modal window." It is the window we have been talking about, where we pick the format to search for. It is a modal window because it takes over the app until we close it.

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

Sorry.

Thank you for reporting a problem using the pre 1.8.0 beta builds. It appears that a member of the Affinity QA team didn't get round to fully investigating this specific report posted in the bugs forums. We are very sorry for this oversight. Yours is one of a number of reports that I am posting this apology to, using an automated script. 

Now we have released 1.8.3 on all platforms containing many hundreds of bug fixes, and we hope your problem has already been fully addressed. If you still have this problem in the 1.8.3 release build, then the QA team would really appreciate you reporting again it in the relevant Bugs forum.

Each of those links above contains instructions how best to report a bug to us. If that is what you already did in this thread just copy paste your original report into a new thread. We appreciate all the information that you have including sample files and screen shots to help us replicate your problem.

This thread has now been locked as the QA team are not following the threads to which this automatic reply is made, which is why we would appreciate a new bug report if you are still have this problem in the release build.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon