You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APhoto won't open jpgs

Yesterday, I had to force quit APub, APhoto and ADesigner, then restart iMac mid-2011 desktop (OS SIERRA 10.12.6). Then Designer ran normally, but upon completing a project and saving it as a jpg, APhoto told me I didn't have permission (screenshot of the error attached). After a restart, Photo opened jpgs, but upon opening Designer again, Photo gave the same error message. Starting the computer this morning, Photo (as the only program open) won't open anything and just gives the error message "Failed to open file; The file could not be opened because permission was denied." I had just recently downloaded Firefox 70.0.1. That is the only recent change, and I mention it because Publisher runs slower if Firefox is running

Edited by Egged
Being a half wit, I included an example of the error message that included my email address.

Do you have a folder named as shown in the error message on your Mac? If so, it appears to be somewhere other than in your user account's home folder, possibly in a folder your user account does not have permission to access.

Note: I am purposely not including that name in my reply because that would expose your e-mail address to spambots, but what I mean is the part between the first two forward slashes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I used the example in the screenshot because it was in APhoto's "Recently Opened" menu, since I had just been working on it for Halloween. All the photo folders (i maintain several by subject) are on my hard drive rather than in my home folder. Currently APhoto won't open anything, but APub ad Designer work as expected. I'm wondering if I should try and reload the software, since this began after having to force quit APhoto. Thanks for the reply!

2 hours ago, Egged said:

All the photo folders (i maintain several by subject) are on my hard drive rather than in my home folder.

Please explain more about what you mean by that. Your home folder (the one with a house icon) should be in a folder named "Users" on your hard drive.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I know it sounds strange, but I've never used my home folder to store anything, since I'm the only user. I've always just created a folder on the hard drive for specific subjects and saved in them, since I've done it that way for decades now. I have separate folders for many different active projects and folders with finished projects.

Update: I tried creating a new APhoto document today, and it won't allow it to be saved even to the desktop. Trying to save as an afphoto generated a message saying: "Failed to save document: /Users/me/Desktop/name.afphoto" and "Save failed because you do not have permission to create a file in that location." and bleow that "Do you wish to save the document to a new file?" So I tried exporting as a jpg and got: "An error occurred while exporting to: Users/me/Desktop/Name.jpg" and "The file could not be created." Designer and Publisher work as expected.

13 minutes ago, Egged said:

"An error occurred while exporting to: Users/me/Desktop/Name.jpg"

It could easily be a typo in bringing the error message over so forgive the detail question -- is it "Users/me..." or "/Users/me..."? The former is highly unlikely to exist and FileNotFound errors can sometimes be lumped together with access permission errors (in that you don't have permission to access something that doesn't exist). And I do see the slash in the Desktop example, so I suspect it's "/Users/me...".

Also, do I miss in the thread whether you're dealing with the MAS version or direct-from-Affinity version of AP? There could be sandboxing issues going on if you're using the MAS version.

Apropos of advice you didn't ask for and FWIW, when you eventually move to a Mac that runs a newer version of the OS, you're going to have additional hoops to jump through to keep that non-Home-tree workflow unless you move it to external drives. More and more, full disk access is being restricted by default (though you CAN make exceptions, hence the hoops).

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

Thanks for the advice! I will do things differently when I get a new computer. This one was my old work computer and was originally configured offsite. I just moved my working files over from a back-up drive to the hard drive and suffered no permissions issues or problems for 8 years. APhoto was purchased from the app store and updated through them. It has worked well for a year and a half. APub and Designer were purchased from Affinity, and they still work fine.

As for the error messages, they just started the day of the my post here. I eliminated my name and inserted "/me/" when writing out the error message. Yesterday, I was able to restart and APhoto worked normally, only to stop and give error messages when Designer was running. Today APhoto doesn't work at all.

36 minutes ago, Egged said:

I eliminated my name and inserted "/me/" when writing out the error message

:-) I wasn't focusing on the 'me' part, I was focusing on the leading slash. 

37 minutes ago, Egged said:

Yesterday, I was able to restart and APhoto worked normally, only to stop and give error messages when Designer was running. Today APhoto doesn't work at all.

Are you trying to work on the file(s) simultaneously in the two apps? Your comment about only getting errors when Designer was running makes me go "huh?"

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

I copied the error message just as it was displayed. As for "HUH?", that's exactly what I said! I was working in a Designer doc, and wanted to add an element produced in Photo when the problem occurred. I habitually have two or three Affinity programs open and running at one time. But APhoto doesn't work at all now, even if it's the only program running. Think I better take my computer to the Apple Quack. At 9 years old, it may be suffering from age related problems of which APhoto is the first symptom.

5 minutes ago, Egged said:

I copied the error message just as it was displayed. As for "HUH?", that's exactly what I said! I was working in a Designer doc, and wanted to add an element produced in Photo when the problem occurred. I habitually have two or three Affinity programs open and running at one time. But APhoto doesn't work at all now, even if it's the only program running. Think I better take my computer to the Apple Quack. At 9 years old, it may be suffering from age related problems of which APhoto is the first symptom.

Yeah, I'd have to agree, there are several suspicious elements here. I would recommend running First Aid on the disk but if you're going to have it looked at anyway, leave it alone and let that person see it as it is (to avoid hiding any symptoms or messages that inform the situation).

Brought home the computer from the Apple Quack with new memory and it runs faster. The diagnostic on the hard drive showed it was running slower, but had no issues. APhoto opens and runs normally for about 15 minutes, then begins slowing down. APhoto then stops, and won't respond to any cursor or keyboard commands. I trashed APhoto and downloaded it again from MAS. It didn't work. I turned off the computer for the weekend and opened it again yesterday. Ran 15 minutes and acted as above. Ditto today. So I believe I need to decide on whether to buy a new computer or repair this one. Designer and Publisher still work normally.

• Staff

Hi Egged,

It may help to reset your Affinity Photo app back to its default settings. You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.
Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video. https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I reloaded the software from the Apple Store, so it's running at default settings. But I tried it anyway, and APhoto runs about 5 or 10 minutes with each operation becoming slower than the last until it finally stops responding altogether. I'm not talking complex commands, just simple things like using the eraser tool or dodge/burn tool. I believe it is a hardware problem, though. The font Arial works fine on starting, but will become corrupt after the same amount of time.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that and I'm sorry to hear this.

Could you please open Affinity Photo > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

2 minutes ago, Egged said:

The font Arial works fine on starting, but will become corrupt after the same amount of time.

My apologies, I'm not 100% certain what you mean by this - could you elaborate for me? Thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

That was harder than I thought it would be! Had to use the iPad camera to take a shot of the prefs, which is why it looks fuzzy.

As for the Arial font corruption, attached is a pic of the Kindle page, which looked normal on starting the computer, and looks like the picture after 5 or 10 minutes.

APhoto PREFS.jpg

KINDLE.jpeg

After that last screenshot, I’m now thinking it might be an idea to check and see if you have any problem fonts on your Mac, particularly the System ones.
You can use Font Book to validate, disable and/or remove any problem fonts you may find.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Did that last week, and removed the problematic ones. What's funny is that page looks fine on a restart, and only looks like this after 5 or 10 minutes. Going back to the Apple Quack today, and won't sign on again for a spell. Thanks all for your help!

• Staff

Thanks for your screenshots, I can see no settings that require changing in Affinity - however I'm relatively certain this is a local issue with fonts on your Mac, as you've mentioned that it's around 5-10 minutes that pass for the font to appear incorrectly on a web page and the same amount of time passes after opening Affinity before experiencing slowdowns.

I recommend resetting your Macs Font Cache, even after removing problematic fonts they may still be cached in your system, but this is something the Apple team can help with.

Please do let us know how you get on!

Got the box back from the Mac Croaker. I have Suitcase Fusion 19.1.1 as a font manager and it is fouling APhoto. Even if Suitcase isn't running , it is causing problems. Opening Suitcase Preferences and clicking “Stop Suitcase Fusion Type Core” allows APhoto to run properly. Suitcase starts when the box is started, so Prefs have to be opened and Type Core turned off to run APhoto (hope I remember that). Why it is doing this now is a puzzle, since I've been using it for years. I notice Suitcase's "Update automatically" was also "on" and it may have updated without my noticing. Shutting down Suitcase also seems to have solved the Arial font corruption, but why that was happening is still a mystery. Just happy it's working.

Have been in contact with Extensis, developer of Suitcase. I'm running Suitcase 8, and they suggest subscribing to the new Suitcase, which is supposed to play well with Affinity programs. For as often as I use font management, I really don't want to subscribe (it's why I switched to Affinity from Adobe), but do have to wrangle thousands of the pesky little critters. I want a way to preview fonts easily as well as turn them on and off. Does anyone have a recommendation for a font manager known to play well with Affinity? It doesn't have to be free, but I would prefer to buy (not subscribe). Thanks for all the support!