You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LibRaw 201910 snapshot now support CR3

• Staff

@Bholsen

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

LibRaw 201910 is a submission to the Master of Github, and is not on the stable release branch 0.19.x which we rely on (as I understand it).

Affinity Photo 1.8.0 does however include the August LibRaw release 0.19.5 which also adds a number of other cameras (whereas APh 1.7.3 includes Libraw 0.19.3).

The benefits included in 201910 will make it to the stable release branch when checked and tested, and should appear in a future Affinity Photo beta.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Bholsen

Please re-read the final sentence in @Patrick Connor's post to this thread.

On 11/5/2019 at 12:07 PM, Patrick Connor said:

The benefits included in 201910 will make it to the stable release branch when checked and tested, and should appear in a future Affinity Photo beta.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff

@emmrecs01

I suspect @Bholsen was telling @DWright that the beta does not work for him, despite saying it should. I have been told CR3 "is coming" in 1.8.0 but DWright has more experience that I with customer files. I will try to get to the bottom of the apparent mismatch in our information, sorry @Bholsen

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 11/5/2019 at 7:07 AM, Patrick Connor said:

@Bholsen

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

LibRaw 201910 is a submission to the Master of Github, and is not on the stable release branch 0.19.x which we rely on (as I understand it).

Affinity Photo 1.8.0 does however include the August LibRaw release 0.19.5 which also adds a number of other cameras (whereas APh 1.7.3 includes Libraw 0.19.3).

Technically, this snapshot is no different from a release - it is tested and is the base for our own FastRawViewer and RawDigger.

No new cameras were added to 0.19.5 compared to 0.19.3 or 0.19.0, please see https://www.libraw.org/news/libraw-0-19-5-release

No new cameras will be added to 0.19 branch.

We have no immediate plans for Release 0.20

--

Best regards,

Iliah Borg

www.libraw.org 

Edited by Iliah Borg

• Staff

@Iliah Borg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) I feel honoured and thanks for the clarifications.

We had a camera list for 0.19.0 and see now that is the list for our 1.7.3 release (using 0.19.3 at that point).

Currently 0.19.5 as included in our early 1.8.0 betas. I will see if the developers plan to use 201910 instead, for our 1.8.0 release (depending on whether there is enough time for our processes). If they do our supported cameras would be this newer list.

Can you tell me if you consider the code rearrangement in 201910 should be considered as a beta release?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Iliah Borg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) I feel honoured and thanks for the clarifications.

We had a camera list for 0.19.0 and see now that is the list for our 1.7.3 release (using 0.19.3 at that point).

Currently 0.19.5 as included in our early 1.8.0 betas. I will see if the developers plan to use 201910 instead, for our 1.8.0 release (depending on whether there is enough time for our processes). If they do our supported cameras would be this newer list.

Can you tell me if you consider the code rearrangement in 201910 should be considered as a beta release?

It's hard to define what a Beta state is. We use this snapshot ourselves, as I mentioned. The "formal cycle" Alpha - Beta - Release results in fixing ABI/API, which in our view is counterproductive for LibRaw development as we deal with "living matter". Since your users are not supposed to compile LibRaw themselves, ABI stability shouldn't be a concern. 201910 offers many improvements apart from support of new cameras. It is quite stable and some developers of commercial software told us they had no problems switching to it.

• Staff

Perfect, thanks. No doubt the devs know that, but I appreciate your input here.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 12:00 PM, DWright said:

Our new Affinity Photo 1.8 Beta supports the canon .cr3 RAW format apart from the EOS 90D, you can download the beta from this link

This post here makes me sad. However it also means I clearly don't understand something. I don't get why the picture format (CR3 in this instance) differs across different cameras. I would have presumed that a format is a format is a format and the vehicle carrying it is hardly relevant. So what part of my knowledge is incorrect?

If answering, please type slowly, I can't read fast. By which I  mean I have very limited technical knowledge of the different formats and I'm unclear about their differences, strengths and weaknesses etc.