You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Could you please explain what you mean by and how to add the support directories? Thanks.

In Affinity Photo preferences - go to the 'Photoshop Plugins' panel and you will find the Plugin support folders section. As we are a sandboxed application you need to give permission to Affinity to allow access to the support folders used by any plugins you have installed. The best directory to add is the root of your main disk as this will work for multiple plugins. You will still need to add the actual Plugin directories in the Plugin search folders. 

Got the Nik Software plugins working however it hasn't brought over my saved recipes. Any ideas on how to get these working?

The last time I tried the instructions about adding the plugin folder as well as the root folder using the Beta, I had to reinstall the entire Nik Software suite.  I'd like to not have to repeat that.

May I ask, did you get them all working? I only managed for the Efex Pro ones, like stated in another thread. Very glad with that already, however, DFine, Sharpener and Viveza, no success alas. If you succeeded, could you explain what you had to do? 

• Staff

Can someone please explain in easy steps just how to install the plugins? Sorry to be thik about this :-(

The problem is each plugin installs into different places and need different support directories added. We plan on detailing the common plugins over time and we are also working with plugin developers to detect Affinity and auto install in the correct place.

I can only speak for the NIK plugins I said above. The ones in onOne´s Photo Suite, zilch alas; true, they do not identify as plugin in Photoshop either, are under the File menu as Automate options...

Anyway, supposing you have NIK´s stuff installed under the Photoshop application, it´s easier than I thought for days in a row. You have to activate each plugin with a reference to its directory / folder. So go ahead, open your Preferences panel in Affinity Photo and select the Photoshop Plugins tab. There, look at the ´Plugin search folders´. If you have failed attempts there, select and remove them. To add your NIK plugins, click on Add Folder. A Finder type window will open, use it to locate your plugins and select the folders you want.

Finally, as ´Plugin support folders´, click Add Folder for that item, but select your root drive (typically a click on ´Macintosh HD´ if you kept that name.

Close the preferences, relaunch Affinity Photo.

See the screen print below of my entries, but check yours, location could be different! Mind, you can also install the three other NIK components, but they will do nothing at all, not even hang your Mac or crash the application; that´s for me, others might have a different experience also. I wish you good luck with it!

i-pZTgwQn.png

Something else: if nothing works (like DFine, Sharpener and Viveza), you can still use the stand alone version of each NIK component of course. These are apps, after all. For that, you will have to export your edits as flat TIFF, which you can then load into the required application. I know I will for these three, hopefully only as a temporary workaround!  ;)

I can only speak for the NIK plugins I said above. The ones in onOne´s Photo Suite, zilch alas; true, they do not identify as plugin in Photoshop either, are under the File menu as Automate options...

Anyway, supposing you have NIK´s stuff installed under the Photoshop application, it´s easier than I thought for days in a row. You have to activate each plugin with a reference to its directory / folder. So go ahead, open your Preferences panel in Affinity Photo and select the Photoshop Plugins tab. There, look at the ´Plugin search folders´. If you have failed attempts there, select and remove them. To add your NIK plugins, click on Add Folder. A Finder type window will open, use it to locate your plugins and select the folders you want.

Finally, as ´Plugin support folders´, click Add Folder for that item, but select your root drive (typically a click on ´Macintosh HD´ if you kept that name.

Close the preferences, relaunch Affinity Photo.

See the screen print below of my entries, but check yours, location could be different! Mind, you can also install the three other NIK components, but they will do nothing at all, not even hang your Mac or crash the application; that´s for me, others might have a different experience also. I wish you good luck with it!

i-pZTgwQn.png

Something else: if nothing works (like DFine, Sharpener and Viveza), you can still use the stand alone version of each NIK component of course. These are apps, after all. For that, you will have to export your edits as flat TIFF, which you can then load into the required application. I know I will for these three, hopefully only as a temporary workaround!  ;)

Man I just don't get it. Followed your instructions to the tee, and still no plugin's show up. Very disappointed! Do they even have some kind of support email?

I´m very sorry for your mishap, especially as you took the trouble replicating all that. The slash in the Plugin support folders is often overlooked, but that aside I wouldn´t know what you could possibly be doing wrong: you basically just click on the correct folders, don´t use the keyboard. Mine set as shown can be used from Affinity Photo, see screen print below. They work as beautifully as ever - except of course for the Photoshop specific features like Smart Objects. I sure hope Affinity will give that some consideration in the future as well!

i-RFmXBJZ.png

Google´s support for the NIK components is very reactive as well. It has been some time since I needed them, but at that time they were quite as responsive as the staff over here! I wonder what else they could tell you though, the issue being with Affinity, not NIK AFAICS... Not even officially supported methinks: only Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop are. 

• Staff

Man I just don't get it. Followed your instructions to the tee, and still no plugin's show up. Very disappointed! Do they even have some kind of support email?

Can you confirm you have a preferences panel with the directories set as above? Perhaps post a screen shot. Also, have you restarted Affinity?

Can you also confirm which plugins you are trying to use?

We have a support email support@seriflabs.com but this forum is also a good place to receive help and support.

Maybe it is better if Affinity team implement (all) those plug-ins as Photo's native tools.

From the 5-6 most interested vendors there are plug-ins that are repeated (like masking tool...). So there won't so much plug-ins to add. Just choose the best (masking) tool and make it a part of Photo.

Some of them are actions, so Photo must have a PS actions support.

I know this is not as easy as it is said, but it is, in mine opinion, the best possible solution.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Thanks to all your help especially JasperD I have managed to get Nik & most of Topax plugins to work :-) One further question though, when I try to use the Topaz Remask 4 plugin I get a message that asks me to "unlock transparency”, how do I do this? Once more thanks for all the help that has been given here.

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

That´s one I don´t know alas; not surprising as I don't own Topaz plugins. 

The term itself only rings a bell to opening a new document where you can check or not for transparency. Alternatively, also when you set a layer to type Erase, which to me looks like transparent. I doubt it has anything to do with that though. Just wild guessing, could it be that you get the message when you try the plugin on a locked background layer? If so, have you tried just duplicating it, so to get an unlocked one (which you could then set to erased)? Or maybe just add an empty pixel layer before launching the plugin? Or maybe Topaz want you to unlock that one Background layer (don´t do this without having a backup first!)?