You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A list of compatible plug-ins would be most welcome. I like many use Lightroom and Photoshop with a variety of plug-ins such as those provided by Topaz and Nik and to convince me that Affinity is a truly viable alternative to LR & PS as my "go to" app is the ability to use these plug-in; I say this having purchased Affinity and love it but do not without this ability feel confident to stop my LR & PS CC subscription. Plug-ins are the game changer for me.

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Yup - me too. I have several Photoshop plugins, and I use Topaz plugins the most - I have all of theirs. But Affinity Photo doesn't find them, and when I add them manually after trawling through the Library/Application Support folder, they appear via the menu - but don't work. Error message is "Cannot Proceed - IPC Memory in use or Image size is too big for the system."

That's on an iMac 27" with 32GB RAM and 3TB HD.

Given that Affinity Photo has a pane for Photoshop Plugins in the Preferences, I assumed (silly me) that it would work with Photoshop-compatible plugins.

Shouldn't you guys have at least been in touch with the major plugin makers such as Topaz first? Is this actually ready for prime time yet?  I sure can't use it for working with photos instead of Photoshop yet.

Also, the Welcome screen thingy offers me downloadable images to play with - but they don't download. A click on the image just produces a tiny red X in the little cloud icon. What's the story with that?

• Staff

The images on the welcome screen will start downloading when you click them. The files are often very large as they usually include edit history so you can see how the image was created. Just click and wait for them to download, you should see a circular progress bar around the preview image.

As for plugins then it's all about being a sandboxed app. We will have more information available soon about what directories you will need to include to get each set of plugins working.

You are correct in that we do need to work with plugin developers but it's hard when you haven't released an app. All should be smoother soon.

The images on the welcome screen will start downloading when you click them. The files are often very large as they usually include edit history so you can see how the image was created. Just click and wait for them to download, you should see a circular progress bar around the preview image.

As for plugins then it's all about being a sandboxed app. We will have more information available soon about what directories you will need to include to get each set of plugins working.

You are correct in that we do need to work with plugin developers but it's hard when you haven't released an app. All should be smoother soon.

Re Plugin / Filters; after I purchased and installed the program I too was confused about the inability to load plugins of the Photoshop and Lightroom variety. Now that I know it's a work in progress I will be looking forward to further developments. It's a smooth running program and enjoyable to use. Affinity Designer is also terrific! InDesign is a program I've used for a long time, if anyone comes up with an alternative that would be a major achievement. Because I bought a Macbook Pro Retina recently I'm using Scribus. I have Photoshop on my PC Windows and have stopped using it. 

Thanks

Thanks for the explanations especially regarding the plug-ins, compatibility wwith LR & PS should be a priority and I look forward to this happening.

I suspect that the Affinity team have been caught with pants down on this - they may not have realised just how widespread the use of 3rd party plugins actually is.

I'm loving Affinity Photo already, but I can't consider it as a serious replacement for Photoshop until most, if not all, of my plugins work with Affinity Photo. I have so many workflows that I do routinely that depend on the use of things like Topaz and many other  plugins and can't achieve what I need to achieve without them. Maybe there are workarounds using the Affinity built-in effects, many of which I have yet to explore, but given that most of us will already have "muscle memory" for flipping out to a plugin or three, I think the compatibility issue needs to be number 1 on the priority list of things to do - pronto.

However, given the perceived keenness of the Affinity team to support users and work with people to resolve issues, I am hoping that this will happen quickly now they have a released app to use with the plug-in developers.

I think this should take precedence over things like adding new features, for example.  It should be major bug-fixes first, then plug-in compatibility, especially for the major ones like Topaz, Nik, Noise Ninja, OnOne, Photomatix, etc.

Until that happens, I'd suggest that Affinity refrain from submitting Photo for major reviews by photography magazines, blogs, etc - the plug-in problem would weigh heavily against the app. But once the compatibility problem is sorted, then they need to get the app out there to as many photographic sites as possible for review - it would stand up really well.

Sorry for the unasked-for advice, but that's how I see the priorities at the moment.

I agree totally with Pentaxian. Affinity has great potential. But if Affinity will not support plugins like Topaz. Then Affinity is just another Pixelmator.

If Affinity fix this I am serious in to dumping photoshop, and just go for Affinity. 

But at it is for now - Photoshop is my tool.

I've got some of the NIK plug-ins working ... others like Vivenza don't work (like other postings here ... it comes up with an error message when trying to invoke it).

I also have Fisheye Hemi installed in Affinity Photo (works in Photoshop and Lightroom) ... but invoking it does nothing to the photo.

Like others have said, only reason to finally abandon Photoshop and Lightroom is support for the major plug-ins out there.

Agree with all that has been said about plug-ins. Will not purchase AP until these problems are solved.

After following the forums over the past few weeks,and seeing all the problems, I question weather AP is really ready for prime time. 

What do you think?

Agree with all that has been said about plug-ins. Will not purchase AP until these problems are solved.

After following the forums over the past few weeks,and seeing all the problems, I question weather AP is really ready for prime time. 

What do you think?

Ideally I would like to have seen the plugin issue resolved before going prime time but as it has not then until it is I will only be using Affinity as second to Lightroom & Photoshop.

Outside of Adobe which application do you feel has the best Photoshop plugin support? We probably can't promise to be as good as Photoshop but we aim to be good and better than anyone else.

Well I do not have any experience of application other than Adobe so I can not help here, sorry. But I do think that you should at least aim to be as good as Photoshop—if you do not aim high you will not achieve high! Are you able to confirm , however, that you are working on adding plugin support for Nik and Topaz?

• Staff

Well I do not have any experience of application other than Adobe so I can not help here, sorry. But I do think that you should at least aim to be as good as Photoshop—if you do not aim high you will not achieve high! Are you able to confirm , however, that you are working on adding plugin support for Nik and Topaz?

Nik and Topaz should already manly work. Have you added the support directories? 

Please do something to make my onone plugin usable. I have followed the directions, none of my plugins show up. I mainly use onone, but also might use topaz, and Nik. Once I can use them, I can forget about Photoshopo forever!

What do you think?

I hope I don't come off as being snarky but I think you are asking for a lot for $49.

I use Photoshop and also use PerfectPhoto9...that is a good program that I find useful, but it costs more than triple what Affinity Photo does and it does not work with photoshop plug ins...it supposedly works as a plug in to Photoshop itself, which should make it easier to shift back and forth between those two  but, in fact, I find that using it as a plug results in fequent crashes and has severe limits as to how things can be handled. I don't say this to put down Perfect Photo (it has it's strong points ) but just to say that, every program is likely to have some things it does better than other programs and I, personally, think that Affinity has made a great start.

As far as being "ready for prime time" well, I think it is ready to be out there and offer quite a lot for  its present price and add to that that the developers seem willing and eager to improve it. Maybe you will need to keep your Photoshop subscription for a little longer but then, (assuming you are one of those who signed on at the $9.99 per month deal and assuming that Adobe doesn't suddenly hike the price) you can have a program you own outright for just 5 months worth of Photoshop.

There are still a lot of things I'd like to see added to Affinity but it already seems like a deal to me, even if it doesn't do quite everything Photoshop does in exactly the way Photoshop does it.

Nik and Topaz should already manly work. Have you added the support directories? 

Could you please explain what you mean by and how to add the support directories? Thanks.