You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixelated photos when ‘placing’ images; fine when ‘opening’

I use both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on my first-gen iPad Pro. Most of the time they work great.

But I must be doing something wrong because I have a very obvious problem that no one else seems to complain about, so it sounds like user error.

If I simply open a photo—any photo, JPEG or RAW—in Affinity Photo, it looks beautiful. Full resolution, no weird borders.

Same thing if I ‘place’ a JPEG photo in Photo or Designer: image looks great, no extraneous borders.

However, if I try to ‘place’ a RAW photo (Nikon D7000) in either Designer or Photo, I get this very low resolution, highly pixelated image with black borders on the top & bottom. It’s almost as if the Affinity apps are grabbing a low resolution thumbnail instead of the actual file.

Do I accidentally have some setting in place that inserts thumbnails or tries to save space or something? Any help is appreciated.

Running latest iPadOS on first generation iPad Pro 12.9˝ with Apple Pencil 1. Also latest macOS on MacBook Air with M1 chip.

Hi Puca, I can 'Place' a raw file and it looks fine, though it is opened as an 'image' in the edit persona. Raw s usually open in Develop persona. HoWever, I after placing the raw image, I use the back arrow and then reopen the project the Workscreen now opens in Develop persona (I guess it recognises the raw image that was placed).

If you are 'Placing' from Photos, I suspect you are simply placing the thumbnail that accompanies the raw image and not the raw image itself.

I use Documents by Readdle to create folders on my IPad and store my images that way. Never any issues getting Affinity to open the correct file.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/