You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher quit unexpectedly without reporting any errors

Hi
After studying it for a while I started using publishers for work. But now I have problems as the program crashes and I can't understand why. This does not happen with all documents or when I do particular actions even if most of the time it happens when I scroll through the pages. The project contains more than 50 pages with many photos, how can I proceed to understand what causes the program to stop? The version I use and the latest available version. Thank you

I have the same problem. When I open a document. Publisher (1,7.3) crashes immediately, twice or three times without any error report. After that, I can work for hours without any problem. May be the PC is too fast?? Windows 10 Pro, system and all assets on two seperate SSDs, I7-9700 and 32GB RAM.

I worked on a photo book with many photos, similar to that, what I have posted some month ago (created with Publisher 1.7.2 ) in this forum.

Further more, in the recent book are a lot of photos that are not listed in the resource manager, but still present in the document. Photos which are not listed, can not be replaced with the replace button. I started this book in Publisher 1.7.2., continued now with 1.7.3.

Even the file size is enormous. Now about 360 MB. Photos are similar in size as in the previous document, which is about 10 MB. The recent document has 30 pages more, these are about 30%, but the file size is about 3600% bigger.

But no problem after the two or three crahes when starting, to work with the document for a day.

• Staff

Hi,

Can you both ensure all images are embedded and upload the files here.

We've had a few reports of people getting crashes whilst scrolling through some image heavy documents, but are struggling to constantly reproduce it in house at the mo.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thanks Jon for your answer.

The problem exists since October 10.

Now, I'm not able to reproduce the behaviour. Starting Publisher five times with the big document, no problems.

The only change in my system was an up-date of the BIOS (ASUS Mainboard) today, no other changes!!

The reason for up-dating was, to solve a problem using two displays. The second display was not visible when starting the PC. It came up when I started Windows a second time without switching off the PC. 

However a lot of the images are not displayed in the resource manager. Therefore, I can't tell if they are embedded or linked.

With all images embedded the file size is close to 600MB. The document opens in fraction of a second for editing, no crash. But as before a lot of the images are not showing up in the resource manager.

If you are still interested in the file, I can send it.

Thanks

Reason found for images are not showing up in the resource manager. 

When an image is rasterized it is not longer listed in the resource manager and it is not possible to use the replace button for this image. Is this a bug or is it normal.

Sorry if I waisted you time.

• Staff

If it's rasterised it has then become a pixel layer so it is no longer a resource, as you have guessed it then won't appear in resource manager (which is good, as I was a bit concerned when I read about resources missing from resource manager!). This is all by design and not a bug.

I'd still like to see the file if possible, it might have been a change to your system resolved it, the reports we've had of this happening are fairly inconsistent so far. But i'd like to see if I get any crashes with your file when using it here.

5 hours ago, Jon P said:

Hi,

We've had a few reports of people getting crashes whilst scrolling through some image heavy documents, but are struggling to constantly reproduce it in house at the mo.

Thanks

Hi
I did what you asked me in the hope that it could be car for those who have this problem. Good job and I'm waiting for a solution

6 hours ago, Jon P said:

Hi,

Thanks

The file is uploaded: 

MOCAA-2 ohne Text final mist.afpub

together with a txt-file

So, are you saying that I should embed images, rather than linking them?  I am also having this problem.  The document is a 180-page book with many photographs.  Publisher slows down dramatically when working on this, and often closes down with no error or other warning.  I will try embedding the images.

PS - I do suspect that part of the problem in my situation is that my computer has only 8GB of RAM.  Unfortunately it's the best I have, and 8GB is the maximum it can take, so i can't do anything about that.

As already said, after updating the BIOS (ASUS motherboard) on my production machine with two monitor configuration, no crashes anymore.

To offer a liitle help, I made some test with the files that where created when the crashes occured.

Test with a Photobook, 102 pages, more than 100 images all embeded, file size 836 MB

Notebook (HP old) with 8GB Ram,Windows 10 Home : o.k., a lttle bit slow when scrolling, but this depends on the hardware.

8GB RAM seems sufficient. 

Test on another Windows PC with 16 GB RAM (GIGABYTE motherboard), Windows 10 Pro in two Monitor configuration: o.k. 

All machines are equipped with SSDs

• Staff

So, are you saying that I should embed images, rather than linking them?

It's more for testing purposes, I have more chance of reproducing it if I have all the images, alternatively you can just provide me the images to re-link (although if there are lots of images and they are all inserted from different places I'd prefer it all embedded!)

Limited RAM shouldn't be a factor. I'm trying to narrow down what the factors are as we do hear of a few customers getting some crashes like these but it's a tricky one to constantly reproduce, which makes it very hard to debug.