You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I forgot to uncheck "notify"… catched up.

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What is so unfortunate about using XnConvert as a (possibly automated) batch converter

The fact, that it is needed? But let's have a look – another point for webp:

Snag_efb6f1.png.0e54a1bf3c812f28ea74cf3ec7246219.png

XnView MP Windows Version 0.94.2 64bits (Dec 20 2019) 76% smaller file with webp.

Hi @R C-R

Affinity can export a total header with all orientations for a website. I made export presets that can spit out a complete header in just 10 seconds. It would be really handy when the webp conversion could take place in the same preset. Unfortunately I have to  use XnConvert to do the webp convertion. 

Hope you understand my point!

affinity-header.png

affinity-header-portrait.png

If the intent was to coerce the developers into adding WebP export to Affinity, that effort was pointless from the beginning.

It isn't rocket science: this is a forum for questions, not feature requests. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

43 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What is so unfortunate about using XnConvert as a (possibly automated) batch converter if one wants to generate WebP content for their web pages?

After all, it is not as if any Affinity app produces ready to use HTML so AP is not going be the only tool used to build web pages.

It was a reply to your post! I showed you my work flow to explain my point.

So if I make my point and you don't have a answer you come with this?

The request is made for many years by many people. This is a discussion about why it is not implemented yet. 

1 minute ago, All Media Lab said:

So if I make my point and you don't have a answer you come with this?

They have already provided an answer for why they have not (yet) added WebP export capabilities to the Affinity apps, that being they claim that currently very few websites use it to deliver raster format content.

What I did was the same thing anybody else could do, that being to take around a minute to look for a credible source to verify if that claim is justified. Apparently it is.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

They have already provided an answer for why they have not (yet) added WebP export capabilities to the Affinity apps, that being they claim that currently very few websites use it to deliver raster format content.

What I did was the same thing anybody else could do, that being to take around a minute to look for a credible source to verify if that claim is justified. Apparently it is.

NO it's not... Get a life and stop wasting space on this thread as you have no clue or dog in this fight.

Time to close the post @Patrick Connor

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Burndog said:

NO it's not... 

Are you disputing that very few websites actually use WebP or do you mean something else?

Affinity Photo 

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Are you disputing that very few websites actually use WebP or do you mean something else?

I'm disputing that you, or your research has ANY helpful bearing in this conversation.

Not only does Google want to see webp as an image format, most of the WYSIWYG websites that many beginners use, are converting their uploads to webp. Both Google and these cheesy website creation services are enough weight to show that this is NOT some minor or esoteric request.

Again, I don't mean to be rude but please stop wasting space on something you clearly have no real world understanding or experience with.

7 minutes ago, Burndog said:

I don't mean to be rude

Really?? :o

3 hours ago, Burndog said:

Get a life and stop wasting space on this thread

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Really?? :o

I hear you... But the droning on and on and on....  It's like a petulant child that keeps trying to make some point that they clearly have no clue about and this comes at the cost of everyone else's legitimate statements.

IF the comments were from seasoned SEO's then fine. But this is not the case and more clearly chaff, and for what point? Is there some other feature that needs to be incorporated at this moment?

Yes, I was rude. Sorry

2 hours ago, Burndog said:

other feature that needs to be incorporated at this moment?

If so, the request should be posted in the appropriate Features Request Forum.  IMHO,  I think you would have greater support for WebP, if addressed as an added future feature.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

7 hours ago, Burndog said:

Is there some other feature that needs to be incorporated at this moment?

Everyone has there favorites but among the most frequently requested are PDF passthrough & improved PDF import/export handling; the ability to find & replace colors & particularly to convert swatch colors to global colors; support for more Photoshop plugins; support for (many!) more functions in macros; a real scripting language to replace or supplement macros; multiple RAW development improvements including sidecar support for end-to-end non-destructive development; animation; built-in DAM-like features; & several others.

Spend a little time browsing through the Feature request forums & you should be able to find quite a few others.

Apart from that, please keep in mind that if you want WebP formatted files for your web site or whatever, right now you do have the option to use other apps for that, including free ones that offer hands-off automated workflows when combined with the Export Persona's continuous export option.

Affinity Photo 

I am not sure if my proposal would boost the development of Affinity and I fear the answer would be NO from Serif. If Serif would open their applications for third-party development a lot of features could be done without Serif doing all the things alone. Of course I am not so naive, that from third-party problems will not arise. But a nice eco system around Affinity would boost the sales IMHO. I for one would pay the full Affinity price for an ADesigner plugin to connect to my Mimaki.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Well, now that Apple announced that Safari will be supporting the webp format, I see no reason for the Affinity devs to hold off on supporting the export of it.

FWIW, Apple said it will be supported in Safari 14, which I think will require running either iOS 14 or macOS 14 ("Big Sur").

Affinity Photo 

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, Apple said it will be supported in Safari 14, which I think will require running either iOS 14 or macOS 14 ("Big Sur").

Apple implied during WWDC that they have or will soon provide all with kits to convert Current applications; developers running out of excuses.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

8 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Apple implied during WWDC that they have or will soon provide all with kits to convert Current applications; developers running out of excuses.

i think you may be referring to the kits for converting desktop apps to run on "Apple silicon" -- IOW, Apple's high performance A series ARM-based processors that the company says it will be adding to Macs over the next two years.

Affinity Photo 

44 minutes ago, Cecil said:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

i think you may be referring to the kits for converting desktop apps to run on "Apple silicon" -- IOW, Apple's high performance A series ARM-based processors that the company says it will be adding to Macs over the next two years.

That is true,  as was Apple announcement in 2019...https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/apple-unveils-groundbreaking-new-technologies-for-app-development/

Cecil 

• Staff

I am sure this change by Safari will be taken into consideration at a future Developer (zoom) meeting :) .

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I am sure this change by Safari will be taken into consideration at a future Developer (zoom) meeting :) .

What I am most interested in is what consideration will be given to making the Mac desktop Affinity apps "universal" & how that will affect the future parallel development of the Mac desktop & iPadOS apps (& maybe even the Windows apps as well).

Of course, I do not expect the staff to have much to say about that, at least until Big Sur & iPadOS 14 are released & we begin to see the first "Apple silicon" Macs entering the retail market. Nevertheless, it is fun to speculate about such things. 😁

One of the more intriguing possibilities is what the cost/performance numbers will look like for an "Apple silicon" Mac paired with a 'native' Affinity app will look like vs. pairings with other hardware platforms. 🤔

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What I am most interested in is what consideration will be given to making the Mac desktop Affinity apps "universal" & how that will affect the future parallel development of the Mac desktop & iPadOS apps (& maybe even the Windows apps as well).

Of course, I do not expect the staff to have much to say about that, at least until Big Sur & iPadOS 14 are released & we begin to see the first "Apple silicon" Macs entering the retail market. Nevertheless, it is fun to speculate about such things. 😁

One of the more intriguing possibilities is what the cost/performance numbers will look like for an "Apple silicon" Mac paired with a 'native' Affinity app will look like vs. pairings with other hardware platforms. 🤔

Fair enough, but that is not the subject of this thread, nor is it what my words you quoted referring to. I was talking WebP export being brought back up, which is the topic of this thread.

To all, Please try to keep this thread on topic

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 5/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, wigglepixel said:

So WebP looks like the way to go with a JPEG2000 fallback for Safari and jpeg fallback for older browsers.

So I herby kindly ask Serif to add at WebP as a format to the exporter of both Photo and Designer (and Publisher too?). And preferably JPEG 2000 too (for Safari). 

Thanks in advance

Safari now supports WEBP. see https://developer.apple.com/documentation/safari-release-notes/safari-14-beta-release-notes