You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am testing the Affinity Suite currently and I am disappointed, too, that there is no webp export. Because of a Windows 10 plugin it seems as if Photo (…) supports loading webp in a quite good quality. But it is impossible to save as webp. After modifications you are always asked for saving as something different. This is "not nice" that chances can not be stored back into webp images without third party tools. Because in this case it might be better to use these tools directly.

@Affinity-Development: Is there a solution in sight or will it take another five years (first question for webp in this forum is dated to 2015…) to have it implemented? This is a knockout criteria for my desicions to buy Photo & more or to choose products supporting webp natively. I do accept a implementation horizon of 6 month (from now on…). Is there something in the development queue belonging to webp open/save?

You may have a look into some automation using simple shell commands, folder actions or batch files- depending on your OS.
Download imagemagick and build a simple commandline tool.

The command below will convert wizard.png to wizard.webp

magick wizard.png -quality 50 -define webp:lossless=true wizard.webp

I built a quick bat file  for windows (see attachment)- just drop some pngs on it and the will be converted next to the originals.

The code:

:: 2020-06-14 by clemens holleis
:: convert png files to webp with windows .*bat file
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: ** SETUP **
:: 1. open notepad
:: 2. paste this text
:: 3. save as png_to_webp.bat
:: 4. install Imagemagick from https://imagemagick.org/
:: ** USAGE **
::      drop one or multiple png files on the file png_to_webp.bat
::      The webp files are created next to the original pngs
@echo off
for %%x in (%*) do (
   magick "%%~x" -quality 50 -define webp:lossless=true "%%~dpnx.webp"
)

The script is absolutely bare-bone and served as-is. Feel free to do what ever you want with it and use at your own risk.

I will provide a automator app for similar usage later for all the mac-folks out there.

cheers!

png_to_webp.bat

Hi @NoSi

Because despite the fact that all major browser support webp (except for Safari) and it's widely used in modern webdesign and game design, somehow the Affinity staff and some developers don't see the importance of having webp in the export panel. Have had discussions with a developer from Affinity on this forum and it's like talking to a brick wall. 

This feature is ask for for years now!

David

Interesting information – Thank you. To be honest, it does not really bother me – as I said, I have tools solving this. I am only surprised about this ignorance because it is not that hard to implement webp as (additional) export format.

2 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

Because despite the fact that all major browser support webp (except for Safari) and it's widely used in modern webdesign and game design, somehow the Affinity staff and some developers don't see the importance of having webp in the export panel.

It is not that the Affinity developers do not see why some users want this addition to the export options, it is that it is just one of many improvements they have to prioritize, based on the usefulness of each of them to what number of users, the difficulty of adding them to the apps (& debugging them), alternatives users might be able to use now, & so on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Because I can import webp into Publisher and use it like jpeg aso. there is no major challenge for me – it is a logistical one to remember that modifications inside publisher are not saved into the webp because "Photo" doesn't.

Hi @R C-R

Think you didn't read this:

@Ben Affinity Moderator and Staff member

I'm also informed that Webp has no support for floating point or HDR.  Web seems quite behind the curve compared to other conduits for media presentation - HDR will soon become the baseline for displays, as it is already for TVs.  Apple might still have influence on which formats are most future suited when they announce their support for HDR tech soon.

Looking at the wider picture - webp doesn't look like it will be the long term winner.

The future isn't 8-bit, and it isn't SDR.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/85857-affinity-not-for-webdesign-no-webp-still/

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

it is that it is just one of many improvements they have to prioritize

Hm – as a developer my prioritization are led by "What an impact has a new ability in advertisement for our products" and "What effort is to take to get rid of a years lasting discussion?" Breaking this down to webp implementations first answer is "high" second is "very low" together it would lead me to "do it". I am a developer, too, and have to admit that this is a very simple but effective method to keep customers happy. 

2 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

Hi @R C-R

Think you didn't read this:

I did read it. In fact, I think it is consistent with my point about how they prioritize feature requests. After all, WebP is just one of several image formats being promoted as a superior alternative to JPEG & GIF for web page images.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

I'm also informed that Webp has no support for floating point or HDR.

In compare to i.e.  jpeg webp supports transparency, lossless compression, ICC color profiles, animation and – of course – 32bit support (often named "floating point" which is technically not correct – it is "huge integer") → see WebP Container Specification ( https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/riff_container ). 

As far as I know and use it, HDR ist a technique to create a high dynamic range image out of more than one which means that this is not a property of an image but the result of processing images ( "TVs" = a sequence of pictures that can be processed by HDR techniques).

In compare to the specs of jpeg, tiff, png and others, webp is far in front to formats "Photo" supports. Therefore, it makes me wonder, why it is not in focus of development.

The "long term winner" is not determined by technical aspects or advantages. See i.e. "gif" as animation format which is in all technical aspects far behind other formats available. "Long term winner" are determined by support and spreading.

I can at least state that webp replaces jpeg and other image formats with all major providers, because it requires significantly less memory, loads faster and gives excellent results in almost all browsers → see https://caniuse.com/#feat=webp (Apple will also see this - some things just take a bit longer: »Safari is experimenting with supporting WebP images«.).

6 minutes ago, NoSi said:

regardless to the fact, that @Ben seems to be wrong

Yes but this is what you have to deal with on this forum when it comes to Affinity comments about webp. A honest discussion based on facts seems to be impossible. 

37 minutes ago, NoSi said:

In compare to the specs of jpeg, tiff, png and others, webp is far in front to formats "Photo" supports. Therefore, it makes me wonder, why it is not in focus of development.

What about other image formats like HEIF or the new kid on the block FLIR?

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

What about other image formats like HEIF or the new kid on the block FLIR?

There are several more interesting formats, of course.

HEIF has "HDR included" because of it's capability to store multiple images in one file.But this is – in my option – one of the reasons of its very low distribution. It is typically implemented in high end cameras only and currently, there is not support in any browser ( → https://caniuse.com/#search=heif). It covers primarily a niche market (at the moment). 

⸮ If a meanwhile well known format like webp is nothing to think about at development of Affinity, I will not bet if this (and some other) format(s) is known there.🤣
(This is by no means meant disrespectfully, but the assumption is obvious.)

2 hours ago, All Media Lab said:

Yes but this is what you have to deal with on this forum when it comes to Affinity comments about webp. A honest discussion based on facts seems to be impossible. 

Only when it comes to webp?  - What an understatement... LOL

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 hours ago, NoSi said:

HEIF has "HDR included" because of it's capability to store multiple images in one file.But this is – in my option – one of the reasons of its very low distribution.

Both HEIF & WebP are container formats & are capable of storing multiple images (in WebP as animations).

HEIF is part of an ISO/IEC suite of international media format standards defined by the Moving Picture Experts Group ("MPEG"). Aside from excellent compression vs. quality performance, it also has the advantage of hardware accelerated support in recent GPU's & smartphones.

It probably is not going away any time in the foreseeable future.

Affinity Photo 

Bottomline is that Google dictates what is expected and we all need to accept this. Why Google? Because of SEO. IF Google gives benefit to webp due to it's obvious efficiency and then uses this matrix in how they deliver their SERPs, there is no argument.

9 minutes ago, Burndog said:

Bottomline is that Google dictates what is expected and we all need to accept this. Why Google? Because of SEO. IF Google gives benefit to webp due to it's obvious efficiency and then uses this matrix in how they deliver their SERPs, there is no argument.

Not true, if another standard is proven to be equal to or has a better efficiency than WebP Google could not configure its algorithm to give better rankings to websites using WebP.

Google is constantly being sued for unfair/uncompetitive changes to its ranking systems.  

They can't just dictate "what is expected".

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I wonder, if we are talking about »WebP in Affinity Photo« or the impact of Google to our lives. I admit that regarding to the Google impact to us »WebP in Affinity Photo« is a completely trivial and insignificant problem. Nevertheless, I'd like to repeat my introducing comment that I was expecting Affinity Photo supports spreaded web standards. And my disappointment, that it doesn't. New is my hope that this thread may stick to the theme given in the headline…

36 minutes ago, carl123 said:

They can't just dictate "what is expected".

They are the the determining factor if you have a website that you want to be successful. There is no argument to this. If your customers can't find you they you don't exist no matter how unfair you perceive the situation to be.