You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 4 weeks later...

Google recommends a Photoshop plugin call WebPShop that can be downloaded Github, but I haven't been able to even get Affinity to recognize it, let alone install it. Has anyone else? I bought Affinity to save myself some money with web design, and a simple mac application to convert to webp doesn't exist (or is an unstable mess or command line only). This is a major letdown.

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Try xnviewmp it.s a viewer/manager for all sorts of image/video files,you can even see the thumbs of affinity files and it has a converter.
Can't tell how good the program works on mac but the windows version does an excellent job.

THANK YOU! It doesn't give me detailed options, but it's what I need

The WebP plugin for Adobe Photoshop doesn't show as a filter, extension or even as part of the export workflow, it is part of the Save as... function and adds the option to save as a WebP file from there, so it will not work with any Affinity apps.

If they start adding more file formats to the export option they may have to rethink the export window design else it's going to be a wide window. :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

If they start adding more file formats to the export option they may have to rethink the export window design else it's going to be a wide window. :D

Maybe they could add a pair of < & > buttons to scroll through the file formats?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, haakoo said:

Try xnviewmp it.s a viewer/manager for all sorts of image/video files,you can even see the thumbs of affinity files and it has a converter.

Or download XnConvert to batch process images. This is powerful application as it can do quite a many operations automatically. (though I could not make it read PDFs, ghostscript installation is not so easy...) 

Well the WEBP format is a tiresome subject, especially also its common support under older OSX versions. Webbrowers nowadays support it fine, but at least for my OSX version these here don't really work ...

• XnViewMP - actual Mac version cores when loading a file
  • WebPQuickLook - doesn't really work for my older OSX for finder quick look
  • qlImageSize - not tested, since it needs at least macOS High Sierra (10.13).
  • ... etc ...

So to the rescue I actually use GC for webp files...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

XnViewMP - actual Mac version cores when loading a file

For what very little it is worth, I currently have only one *.webp file on my iMac I use only for testing purposes, but XnViewMP v0.94 handles it fine in all respects, including opening it in AP, but I am running High Sierra on my iMac.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

This is the WebP PS Plugin settings, posting for the curious.
1520226514_ScreenShot2019-12-03at21_57_52.png.2546b0a194b0a5f5e1c52b4a9c535115.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

For what very little it is worth, I currently have only one *.webp file on my iMac I use only for testing purposes, but XnViewMP v0.94 handles it fine in all respects, including opening it in AP, but I am running High Sierra on my iMac.

No chance here with El Capitan, when there is a webp file among all those in a dir the XNViewMP browser tries to show thumbs from it cores immediately. If you try to open a single webp file again the same. I've sent several dump reports to the author so far. - GC in contrast has no problems here and shows them all in either way.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

25 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

This is the WebP PS Plugin settings, posting for the curious.
1520226514_ScreenShot2019-12-03at21_57_52.png.2546b0a194b0a5f5e1c52b4a9c535115.png

Did you also tried the preview feature?

Compression settings can be adjusted during the "Save" command.

• The quality goes from lossy 0 (the image is degraded to fit in fewer bytes) to lossless 100 (pixels stay exactly the same). Usually the compressed size increases with quality but for some images (e.g. screen captures, plain colors...), the lossless algorithm produce lighter files.

• The compression effort controls the encoding speed. Slower increases the visual quality and/or decreases the file size.

• The preview feature will show the compressed image and its final size. If the picture is too tall or too wide, a moveable zoomed-in area will appear. Warning: for big images and/or heavy compression effort, the graphical user interface may be slow/unresponsive when this is enabled.

• For animations (several layers containing a duration in their name e.g. "Frame1 (123 ms)"), a slider will select the current frame, showing its preview and duration.

They don't tell if it probably also works for PSE, so one has to try for that.

WebPshop works in PS Elements

Now if only Affinity would get on the ball. That and if Safari would support Webp, fallbacks wouldn't be such an absolute necessity, adding that extra layer of complexity to web design. Having to use Modernizr JS for anything Webp related in CSS is beyond a pain. It would cut my load times in half.

Edited by ShatteredSite
typo

Well Safari still doesn't support it, AFAIK and as far as this one here is actual. Probably Apple is more in favor of HEIF than WEBP, however it looks as you still have to use fallbacks for Safari in your website codings.

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

WebPshop works in PS Elements

Not at my side here, just tested it and it cores PSE in the same manner as XNViewMP cores too, namely immediately when one tries to open a webp file. 

So far on older OSX versions I can only tell that GraphicsConverter and the ImageMagick cli tools do work flawlessly with webp files.

I'm on High Sierra at home, PSE can open webP and save as without issues, the preview windows for webshop are tiny and of no practical use as it's not resizable, It would have been much better to use the Save for web avenue and utilise that export window. I have installed the cli webP converter via Homebrew

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/3/2019 at 5:26 AM, firstdefence said:

The WebP plugin for Adobe Photoshop doesn't show as a filter, extension or even as part of the export workflow, it is part of the Save as... function and adds the option to save as a WebP file from there, so it will not work with any Affinity apps.

How did you install it on Affinity Photo? I tried to copy the files to the plugins folder, but it didn't work.

5 hours ago, joaopedrolobo said:

How did you install it on Affinity Photo? I tried to copy the files to the plugins folder, but it didn't work.

I didn’t install it to Affinity Photo, the WebP plugin for Adobe Photoshop is only for Adobe Photoshop you cannot gain access to it from Affinity Photo like you can a filter plugin. The WebP plugin is added to the save as menu in Adobe Photoshop this modification cannot happen in Affinity Photo with the WebP plugin.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread which is a little older. I am reading this in 2020, because I want to serve raster graphics for an upcoming website in more web-performant formats than jpg. Also as @Burndog was written before for SEO-benefits. As Google advises modern file-formats for quite a while now to use on websites. Like JPG2000, JPEG XR and WebP, but none of them seem to be available in the Affinity exporter. This surprises me a lot, as these formats are around quite some time now and the usage and demand for them will definitely be there and rise by webdevelopers and -designers all over the world.

Strangely enough Google's own browser doesn't support all the formats they advise themselves (no support in Chrome for JPG2000, JPEG XR), but WebP has very wide supported on all modern browsers except Safari, which does support JPEG 2000. So WebP looks like the way to go with a JPEG2000 fallback for Safari and jpeg fallback for older browsers.

But Affinity to my surprise can't write these files. I'd rather not add extra steps like exporters in the workflow and like to do everything with the great Designers Export persona. As that's the whole idea of the export persona automation and it would be very time consuming and unneeded steps to use all kind of exporters after exporting every time.

So I herby kindly ask Serif to add at WebP as a format to the exporter of both Photo and Designer (and Publisher too?). And preferably JPEG 2000 too (for Safari). 

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...