You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

November challenge - make/share something with an Autumn/Fall theme

z3z

After being inspired by forum member Graphic&Design, I thought I might start a thread to encourage people to make and share their art based around a particular theme. Not certain how much interest there might be, but hopefully a few of you will join in! :)

The challenge: create something using Affinity's products based on the theme of Autumn/Fall. Your art can be as simple or as complex as you want. It could be a single vector leaf or an entire forest. Perhaps a hat & scarf or a pair of wellies to represent the changing weather. A rosy red apple or a squirrel with some nuts. These are only suggestions. It's very open to interpretation. Whatever autumn means to you! And remember, it's not about who's best. It's about creating art and having fun.

So, let's see some pics!

I used the Affine Filter to create table mats from images of leaf litter. They are described more fully in this thread, but here is an example:

1477135728_LeafLitterTile800.thumb.png.bea7d3c332be0d3adee158f740bc8c0d.png

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Here is a plateful of windfall Quinces. My Quince is producing some nice yellow and unblemished fruit on the tree at present. Those on the ground are a bit greener and with varying degrees of blemishing especially where they hit the ground! I keep them in the kitchen where they fill it with an amazing perfume.

Quinces800.jpg.789004c782ba5075cd31dc1059f56af8.jpg

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

5 hours ago, Pattou said:

Well, I did already post some images of leaves related to autumn in this thread... I will edit other pictures to post here when I'll have a bit of time :)

There's some stunning photography in that thread. I'm a big fan of cactus and succulent plants, and you've got some great shots. Also, I want to steal your cat! :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Here is a plateful of windfall Quinces. My Quince is producing some nice yellow and unblemished fruit on the tree at present. Those on the ground are a bit greener and with varying degrees of blemishing especially where they hit the ground! I keep them in the kitchen where they fill it with an amazing perfume.

Quinces800.jpg.789004c782ba5075cd31dc1059f56af8.jpg

John

Nice! I don't think I've ever eaten quince.

I have written the song after reading your post earlier today and having looked at the images posted thus far. This image was produced using Affinity Publisher.

autumn_song.thumb.png.369c0c2159163ae353251edc1559f728.png

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:21 PM, Chul said:

This is what autumn looks like where I live- we don't usually see messages written in the sky though. ;-) That was just a wish for y'all!

thanks.PNG

Lovely autumnal palette. Happy Thanksgiving to you too when it comes around. :1_grinning:

(I'm actually in the UK, so obviously don't celebrate, but I approve of holidays that involve large dinners!)

2 minutes ago, William Overington said:

I have written the song after reading your post earlier today and having looked at the images posted thus far. This image was produced using Affinity Publisher.

autumn_song.thumb.png.369c0c2159163ae353251edc1559f728.png

William

Ah, that's beautiful! Such a nice simple framing for a lovely poem.

I bought Publisher when it officially launched, just so that I'd have the full suite of apps, but *whispers* I think I've used it once. I'm not even entirely sure what I might use it for, but I just had to have it lol. I'd probably have used Designer to make something like this.

13 minutes ago, z3z said:

Lovely autumnal palette. Happy Thanksgiving to you too when it comes around. :1_grinning:

(I'm actually in the UK, so obviously don't celebrate, but I approve of holidays that involve large dinners!)

Thanks, glad you liked it! I love editing pictures & seeing what all is doable in Affinity. This was done in Publisher- just so I could have all 3 apps at my fingertips. I simply love that StudioLink!!

LOL!:D

Thank you.

I only have Publisher from the Affinity range.

I had a trial copy of Designer but have not as yet bought it as I hardly used it apart from trying it out.

I have a number of the older Serif programs from the Plus range.

There is a drawing program, DrawPlus of which I have a not-the-latest version and I hardly ever use it. Most of what I produce is text based and I use PagePlus (a desktop publishing program) for that and PagePlus has been extremely good as it has enabled me to produce PDF (Portable Document Format) documents. I appreciate that Affinity Publisher is a more recent product and can also produce a PDF document - indeed a PDF document with even better support for typography than PagePlus, which has good OpenType support - but thus far I have not used Affinity Publisher very much, mostly just for learning about it. This challenge specifically needed use of a program from the Affinity range, and I wanted to participate in the thread and I wrote the song so as to participate. Had I started with having written a song and I was wanting to produce a publication, the motivation for the project being thus different, I would have used PagePlus, simply because getting the song lyrics published would have been the goal and I am more used to using PagePlus. However, if it were not for this challenge and the suggested theme this song would not have been written in the first place. However again, now that I have written the song I shall try to include it somewhere in the novel that I am writing.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

17 minutes ago, Chul said:

Thanks, glad you liked it! I love editing pictures & seeing what all is doable in Affinity. This was done in Publisher- just so I could have all 3 apps at my fingertips. I simply love that StudioLink!!

LOL!:D

So there are now two pictures in the thread produced using Affinity Publisher. An extra tag at the top of the page to go alongside the tags for affinity designer and affinity photo perhaps?

William

When I wrote the song I included the line

> as quince fall to the ground

instinctively without thinking about it as a plural, as if one quince, two quince. The fact that I used the word 'fall' rather than 'falls' and no use of 'a' shows my intention that 'quince' be taken as referring to a plural. 

Since writing and publishing that I noticed that @John Rostron referred to Quinces. Quince is not a word that I have ever used much, if at all, though I had known of a Quince tree and there is the character Peter Quince in a Shakespeare play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Quince

So I went in search of the answer.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/quince

It appears that adding an 's' is the way to form the plural, yet interesting the word quince was originally a collective noun centuries ago.

The third example of use stated in that dictionary I found particularly amusing!

Yet if I added an 's' in the song it would add an extra syllable to the line.

I wonder if the fact that adding an 's' means that an extra syllable is produced somehow in some way caused me to think that the plural would not have an 's'. With apple, pear, plum adding an s does not add a syllable, peach has peaches as the plural yet not quite the same as just adding an 's'. 

William

The article about Peter Quince refers to quoins.

The word 'quoins' is one that I have known for over fifty years, but only in the context of letterpress printing. I was unaware of other uses until now.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/quoin

William

@William Overington, you are a fellow language nerd. As a biologist, I often use the singular noun to represent the plural: a herd of Wildebeeste, but a herd of Elephants. Some collections of animals or plants sound better with an s some seem better without. I might say either a plate of Quinces or  plate of Quince, but always a plate of Apples!

Quince are related to Apples and Pears. They contain stone cells, which are just thick-walled cells that gives the flesh a gritty feel in the mouth. They are inedible raw, but add interesting flavours when mixed into an apple pie. I mostly convert them to Quince Cheese, aka Membrillo (Spanish) or Marmalada (Portugese).

John

5 hours ago, William Overington said:

William

Ah, but can you set it to music using Publisher?

54 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Ah, but can you set it to music using Publisher?

Well, I cannot play a musical instrument.

Also, although I can think of a tune for a song and I sing various of my songs when I am doing housework and so on, I cannot go from a tune to producing written musical notation. So I find it often quite easy to have a tune for a song, it seems to sort of emerge as I write the lyrics.

A solution that I have used is to record me singing and publish the result within a document in the hope that maybe someone who can sing well could hear my singing and thereby understand the tune that I intend and its speed and so on and then, based on that understanding, could produce a good performance.

For examples,

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/the_mobile_art_shop.pdf

and

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/cyberspace_cafe.pdf

which were produced using Serif PagePlus.

To do that I needed to embed a .wav sound file into a PDF document, which is possible using PagePlus - I needed to choose an output level for the PDF that is more than the basic level so that Adobe Reader will play the sound file.

Playback of the sound depends on the way it is played back. I have found that playback online on the web often does not work depending upon how the we browser tries to read the PDF document, but downloading to local storage and then using Adobe Reader works well, both for me and for people who have reported their results to me.

If one has a musical score written out in music notation it would in principle be possible to typeset some musical notation in Affinity Publisher. It needs a music font. There are some about. I have not looked at them in detail and I am not knowledgeable about musical notation beyond the basics, such as for single notes such as are used in music for a recorder.

William

16 hours ago, William Overington said:

So there are now two pictures in the thread produced using Affinity Publisher. An extra tag at the top of the page to go alongside the tags for affinity designer and affinity photo perhaps?

William

The requested tag has now been added.

Excellent. Thank you.

William

@Pattou Very nice. You have made it so that it looks like it is a photograph of a painting, perhaps sort of like a painting by John Constable.

Could we possibly see what you started with as well please?

William

@Pattou Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a land far away . . .  There was an enchanted forest.   At least your lovely picture suggests that something magical will emerge from those misty trees.  Such a wonderful imagination!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

17 hours ago, Smee Again said:

Okay, sorry about the empty post earlier . . . but the image was edited with an inferior program.

My wife and daughter used to go to a meeting every November in Texarkana, AR. I would drop them off and go to Four State Fairgrounds and take some pics.

finally_in_focus_affinity.jpg

DSCN1318.jpg

These are absolutely glorious! Beautiful pics.

17 hours ago, v_kyr said:

november_fall.thumb.jpg.af20af6290664d97ef0665c50b338c84.jpg

During an autumn walk with an old Nikon V1, image development in Affinity Photo.

Lovely! It looks like a great spot for a nice walk. The autumn leaves are lovely.

13 hours ago, Pattou said:

Autumnal picture (using blended texture to give a final look) final editing in APh1.7 (started in a previous beta), like the contrast between the trees at the front and the rest of the picture.

981940289_autumntexture.thumb.JPG.197e50c81e1eb9993ac5576de4a14640.JPG

[Starting image, tif file from a Nikon nef raw: orig.JPG.77c7145d77a2b8e714f5da15809f0d5a.JPG]

Nice! And thanks for sharing your 'before and after' pics.

If you're doing much editing on your pics, please share what you did in a sentence or two (if you can remember), so that we can all learn from each other.

Some great work in this thread. Keep 'em coming! Anyone made anything in Designer with an autumnal feel??