You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I right-click on a .JPG image file, Affinity apps are no longer showing up as options in the "Open With" context menu under Mac OS Catalina (attachment 1).  Even when I select "Open With>Other", select Affinity Photo, and check the "Always Open With" box (attachment 2), I get a dialog warning me that "macOS cannot verify the developer"... (attachment 3)

HOWEVER, when right-clicking on .PNG, .GIF files, the Affinity apps appear in the context menu as they always have!

Note: I *have* opened System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Photos to allow Affinity Photo to have access to my photos, but Affinity Publisher is the only app that appears in the list (attachment 4).

I *am* able to open Affinity Photo, drag-and-drop the .JPG image into the editing window, work on it, and save it back out; I just can't open the image with a right-click.  Would really like to have this functionality back.  Is this an Affinity issue, or an Apple issue?

Thanks!

Attachment 1.png

Attachment 2.png

Attachment 3.png

Attachment 4.png

Edited by Martin Conrad
Missing attachment reference

• Staff

Hi Martin Conrad :)

Sorry to see this, it certainly isn't something I've come across before.

On 11/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, Martin Conrad said:

When I right-click on a .JPG image file, Affinity apps are no longer showing up as options in the "Open With" context menu under Mac OS Catalina (attachment 1). 

Does this happen with any JPEG image, or only certain ones?

I get a dialog warning me that "macOS cannot verify the developer"... (attachment 3)

Affinity is a notarized app (as it has to be for Mac OS Catalina) however this warning is a little confusing, as your screenshot shows that Mac OS is warning you for the JPEG file itself, not the Affinity app. Could you please confirm, how did you 'send' this image to your Mac?

I *have* opened System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Photos to allow Affinity Photo to have access to my photos, but Affinity Publisher is the only app that appears in the list (attachment 4).

Could you please navigate to System Preferences>Security & Privacy> Files and Folders. Is Affinity Photo showing/ticked here?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Affinity is a notarized app (as it has to be for Mac OS Catalina) however this warning is a little confusing, as your screenshot shows that Mac OS is warning you for the JPEG file itself, not the Affinity app. ...

I saw something similar to this with some .txt files where I had changed the preferred / default opening application to BBEdit via the Get info "Open with, change all" method. Double clicking brought that up. This was with Sierra. So I think it is an OS problem Martin has.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2