You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - PC - Win10 - Repeat Crash when rendering Panorama

Hello,

I am having repeat difficulty rendering panorama's since latest update to 1.7.3.481 

Continual repeat crash when rendering panorama's (regardless 50-350photos each)

PC Specs:

i5, 4670k, 4.1ghz (water cooled, temps under 75 Celcius when 100% cpu)

32gb DDR3 / 1600 (XMP 2400)

Raid 0 2x1tb Windows/Program

Raid 10 4x4tb (Source folder's) 

4tb Spare drive (stand alone)

RX590 8gb "fatboy series" AMD Video Card.

3x Benq 24" Displays (1920x1080).

Windows 10 Latest updates.

All drivers thoroughly up to date.

Page file not on Raids, just the spare 4tb.

Affinity Photo, i've set for 8, 16, or 24gb's (it uses upwards to 28gb's if I max it of the original ram, before page). Still same issue.

Right now I have 4x "pano" source folders, (1,2,3, & 4).

All Source files are JPG/ Taken by Samsung S8+ 13mp each I believe.

Folder 1: 355 Jpegs, Total 2.19gb

Folder 2: 310 Jpegs, Total 1.98gb

Folder 3: 276 Jpegs, Total 1.53gb

Folder 4: 116 Jpegs, Total 723mb (0.72gb ish)

I've tried a catch all at once, toss them all in and see. What is found, then render.

I've tried separately to just do folder 4, or 3, etc, smallest first I figured... It can get to the preview part, but when rendering... after a few hours the app fully exits/crashes.

I've monitored on Task manager. The drive/memory/cpu and some GPU is used.

I'm grasping at straws here. 

I have done the intel raid check. 0 errors entirely.

I've defragged thoroughly.

I've trimmed startup apps, scheduled tasks, etc. Literally minimized to maximized performance.

I've even set priority of affinity photo to  "above normal"

I'll happily adjust or customize settings further if any theories help.

I recognize panorama's take TIME. I know this thoroughly. I check back every few hours to see progress pro/con.

If anyone has suggestions/idea's, hugely appreciated.

What else is needed here to proceed/gain support, but proactively in the right direction?

- RMLeLoup

P.S. Thanks in advance for the thorough read.

Edit: Updated version #, 

Edit 2: How do I get a "crash report" ? If needed, i'll attach, and upload samples if required also. (Have 185/185 fiber/unlim, happy to ts, don't mind)

Edited by rmleloup
updated info

I don't know why you are crashing, but I do wonder why you are using so many images to create your panorama. Given the usual recommendations of around 25% overlap between images, you could get a 360° panorama with around 30 images. Does your panorama comprise a row of images, or several rows?  What focal length are you using? In landscape or portrait?

My thoughts are that you are pushing Affinity's capabilities with so many images to stitch.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

My thoughts are that you are pushing Affinity's capabilities with so many images to stitch.

Agreed, though the OP implies that it's worked in the past.  It would be interesting to know if simpler panos work, and if there have been any OS changes since the last succesful pano.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

@rmleloup, You say you have monitored the Task Manager. It would be useful to know what the memory usage was up to the time that it crashed. What other processes were running? Were they consuming much memory

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Howdy all, give me a min i'll post some samples here of panorama's i've built.

I typically do 25-50% overlap (as i'm never perfect at a steady camera).

I'm quite amature, so I do anywhere from 3-4 rows. But the tough parts is getting an end point so I can get a smooth final picture on the edges to crop off nicely (Plus some excess sky box region to allow flex).

Sample's (All links are to previously made successful with 100-300 photos in past revisions of updates, took time naturally, a few hours to a day each).\

These are the "HD " google photos edition, ie not full max size/quality, but close enough for samples

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iZoDErKnEcq9mJgd7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rsi8yXCTReNC767T9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hqPQyywekhdm3jM28

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DiVjhx3kF5mW7XnD9

You should see an info button on each for reference details that affinity made etc.

Does this help?

And for Task manager, the memory never peaks maximum, usually a few gigs free.

I've seen in Affinity the "memory pressure"  go from 50-500%, and the "memory efficiency" from 100-5000+ % (I would have to dig for screenshot pic samples of this weirdness, but i've seen it, and this meter thing on affinity makes no applicable sense).

The one i'm working on right now, from the mentioned "pano 1", 

Exposure says 1/2064s, Aperture F/1.7, iso 50, focal 4.3mm,  from my Samsung SM-G955W (S8+)

It's still in the final render process since yesterday (stitch preview plus actual render). 

I expect it to be finished this afternoon while i'm at work, using remote in features to validate progress hopefully....

On 1920x1080, the screen is at 9% view in the project region while it is rendering also, potential size of 16661x6669 right now (before crop/final).

Thanks

Update: Render from last night, to stitch to Ok to make it, nearly fully rendered but crashed again. How can I get a crash report. My memory never went about 24/32gb used. The app itself crashed at the last part, with no error message while I was away from computer for an hour. The app has force exited.

I can see the app itself is crashing regardless which pano I do, even small ones fail currently right at the end of it.

Any direction greatly appreciated.

Looking at your panoramas, I note that the upper parts of each are composed of sky or clouds, what one could call nebulous. Such image components are very difficult for panorama software to deal with, there are no hard reference points for the algorithms to latch onto. This might possibly be the cause of your crashes.

The only thing I can suggest is that you stitch your panoramas piecemeal. Keep the rows, but just use a few columns at a time. Then try to stitch the resultant part-panoramas.

John

1 minute ago, John Rostron said:

Looking at your panoramas, I note that the upper parts of each are composed of sky or clouds, what one could call nebulous. Such image components are very difficult for panorama software to deal with, there are no hard reference points for the algorithms to latch onto. This might possibly be the cause of your crashes.

The only thing I can suggest is that you stitch your panoramas piecemeal. Keep the rows, but just use a few columns at a time. Then try to stitch the resultant part-panoramas.

John

So in essence,

(Regardless that this is more work, but potentially fair/reasonable work).

Split my pano's, into sub parts of rows, (as I did take the photos, left to right literal for each).

I then flow through them to identify file grouping = row 1, 2, 3, etc. 
Divide them up and redo them separately in row based approaches. Ultra Ultra wide pano but in parts.

Then redo them as a single mega pano after the fact?

(Just clarifying).

Am I on the same page? (interpretatively) ?

Thanks again for the directive support. Hugely appreciated.

3 minutes ago, rmleloup said:

Divide them up and redo them separately in row based approaches. Ultra Ultra wide pano but in parts.

You do not want ultra-wide panos, you want short  ones. If you have three rows and (say) 20 columns, then your short panoramas would have three rows and eight columns (to allow for overlap). For example, columns 1-8, 7-14 and 13-20.

John

So, again re interpreting. (as i'm just reclarfying.

Lets say, I have 4 rows (rows being the horizontal portion across)

*Edit* Additional note, all rows suggested below, even if I finish 1-25, 25-50, 51-80 or whichever (pardon that my math is hard below). They are still overlapping.

And in each row is 80 pictures (exmample, 4x80=320)

Row 1 of 80, I do 2x 25 and 1x 20 pic portions.

Row 2 I repeat 
Same for Row 3 and 4.

Total "sections" is 4 rows of 3 sections equaling 12 "sub" panorama's.

Then after those are all separately put together, individually, then put them as a single mass one after the fact.

Does that make sense?

Am I correct? Or out to left field? (I'm partially autistic/aspergers, so I wish to clarify purely a bit more, nothing against you, it's how I interpret better to approach and adapt better.)

Thanks again, seriously thank you very much.

Edited by rmleloup

Update:

Completed "pano Folder 01" 

See attached. I did 6 rows across (since they all overlapped carefully).

Was able to render each row separately, then render them all 6 final jpg's as a single final.

Here is the attached Result. (Successful by the way, no errors, no auto close, no crash, and rendered way faster then all at once attempts....).

59.4Megabytes size as a heads up.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak8-Km85eyVcgtJXwGUgyx8JXks07A?e=6jITtX

I think this one worked out decently. (no photo editing, just a pure photos to pano pieces to full pano).

Solid idea John, huge thanks.

Personal hopes, is that Affinity Photo is corrected for potential memory leaks or otherwise issues.

• 1 year later...

Following up this topic - I have made lots of panoramas of normal country scenes with 6 or so TIFF images processed from CaptureOne with no issues.
This snow scene appears to blow it  - with no error message - Aff Photo just vanishes quietly. I tried with all 4 images and with three as that gives enough coverage.
The image is not important - just fun for family - but it may help to find a problem so I'll put them here on a OneDrive .....
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvP2QWjWWdqnhpAhjvjdkgdFU9Sc7Q?e=7HoZeR

Windows 10 64bit  Intel I7-4770 with 12 GB of RAM - Aff Photo version 1..8.5.703

Gareth

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.