You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

100 K Black converted to Rich Black when changing Colour Profile

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Interior Book Design,

When changing the profile are you using 'Assign' or 'Convert'? Note that Convert will modify the CMYK values to try and retain the look using the new profile.

I've found I'm getting the same behaviour on Mac and Windows. Would you be able to get a screen recording showing the process you are going through and a demo document if possible!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean, hi Lagarto,

I've created many test documents both on APub Win (481, 502) and Mac (just 1.7.3) and tried to repeat the situation. However, In all three programmes, I'm was not able to convert a RGB document to CMYK, at all. I'm very sorry. Both buttons, Assign and Convert, are inactive. They sames holds true if I try to convert a CMYK document into RGB. Assign and Convert don't work, as well. Strange. So, you are not supposed to convert RGB into CMYK and vice versa?! I can't figure out what I did differently, in the first place.

Starting off with a RGB document, text colour is always rich black, not 100K black.

CMYK documents, however, provide the right black value: 100K.

Anyway, I think there should be a mechanism making sure that black text always stays/gets 100K black when converted into a CMYK PDF. You shouldn't be forced to check before printing, whether it is rich black or 100K.

@Interior Book Design Search for ISO Coated v2 to PSO Coated v3 (DeviceLink). This profile is made for a conversion from ISOcoated v2 to PSOcoated v3. Once converted, you can safely change the profile to PSOcoated v3.

19 hours ago, Interior Book Design said:

Starting off with a RGB document, text colour is always rich black, not 100K black.

Nothing unusual here? But you are right, Affinity applications "feel" to behave differently compared to the Adobe products I used beforehand. In Indesign I nearly never had problems with colour profiles. With Affinity you have to be more careful, but once you know not a big obstacle in the workflow I think.

Here is the link for the profile http://www.eci.org/_media/downloads/icc_profiles_from_eci/iso-coated_v2_to_psocoated_v3_devicelink.zip

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed