Interior Book Design

100 K Black converted to Rich Black when changing Colour Profile

I think that this is "by design". Affinity apps do not have a specific [Black] or [Registration Color] color swatches, as does InDesign, so the mere black (K) values will be converted to CMYK according to the specs of the color profile. InDesign actually behaves similarly if you create a separate K100 value (instead of using [Black]). What is more serious is that Affinity Publisher does NOT change the color values of user-defined color swatches, accordingly, resulting in break of all (non-spot) color assignments, including global.

I would not use the "Convert" option unless it is absolutely necessary. Normally it shouldn't be. If the change of color profile is needed within the same color mode (.e.g, just using different CMYK profile), I'd use the "Assign" option. That does not change color values, but would still affect the way the RGB images are exported (e.g., this could be useful if you change from coated to uncoated, or vice versa, and just want it to affect the imported RGB values but not your text and internal vector graphics, or just want to assign the printer requested color profile). This kind of change should be done at this stage rather than in export settings (where CMYK values would be converted similarly if the document and target CMYK profiles are in conflict).

You mention "Windows version only". I have currently no macOS version of any of the Affinity apps installed so I cannot check this, but I find this quite surprising. Could you rechecki and confirm this?

Hi Interior Book Design,

When changing the profile are you using 'Assign' or 'Convert'? Note that Convert will modify the CMYK values to try and retain the look using the new profile.

I've found I'm getting the same behaviour on Mac and Windows. Would you be able to get a screen recording showing the process you are going through and a demo document if possible!

Hi Sean, hi Lagarto,

I've created many test documents both on APub Win (481, 502) and Mac (just 1.7.3) and tried to repeat the situation. However, In all three programmes, I'm was not able to convert a RGB document to CMYK, at all. I'm very sorry. Both buttons, Assign and Convert, are inactive. They sames holds true if I try to convert a CMYK document into RGB. Assign and Convert don't work, as well. Strange. So, you are not supposed to convert RGB into CMYK and vice versa?! I can't figure out what I did differently, in the first place.

Starting off with a RGB document, text colour is always rich black, not 100K black.

CMYK documents, however, provide the right black value: 100K.

Anyway, I think there should be a mechanism making sure that black text always stays/gets 100K black when converted into a CMYK PDF. You shouldn't be forced to check before printing, whether it is rich black or 100K.

@Interior Book Design Search for ISO Coated v2 to PSO Coated v3 (DeviceLink). This profile is made for a conversion from ISOcoated v2 to PSOcoated v3. Once converted, you can safely change the profile to PSOcoated v3.

19 hours ago, Interior Book Design said:

Starting off with a RGB document, text colour is always rich black, not 100K black.

Nothing unusual here? But you are right, Affinity applications "feel" to behave differently compared to the Adobe products I used beforehand. In Indesign I nearly never had problems with colour profiles. With Affinity you have to be more careful, but once you know not a big obstacle in the workflow I think.

Here is the link for the profile http://www.eci.org/_media/downloads/icc_profiles_from_eci/iso-coated_v2_to_psocoated_v3_devicelink.zip