You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PHOTO: Selection Anti-alias for Flood and Brush

I see that Circle, Square, etc. Marquee Selection Tools have anti-alias in the menu, but when you use Flood selection and brush selection, they don't. Any reason why? Normally anti-alias is the preferred way to select, but there is no way to "enable" this for these two selection modes. 

favicon-16.png BRANDbrilliance • Graphics • Websites • Printing • E-marketing

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Would be nice if You finally add this feature to use Selection Brush Tool (W) with anti-alias option. I'm suprised that this option is not implemented in release 1.5 and beta versions.

Similar effect could be achieved using Select > Feather (1px) for example, but this is not so comfortable in use.

+1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just found out, that if you use the flood selection and then select e.g. lasso selection tool, you can use the "refine" button to adjust the selection, but anti aliasing still doesn't work

Please please add this, I'm using it nearly everyday for cutting out stuff with the flood selection tool and not having anti alias there is really a big disadvantage. I mean  I'd pay for it to be implemented =)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I cannot fathom how this is now 4 years in the making and still no action, considering this is such a hygiene factor. This is one of the reasons that makes it difficult to motivate a continuous use – of any kind – with Photo and I rather just revert to Adobe CC Suite DESPITE having both Affinity Photo AS WELL AS Affinity Designer installed.

I often even go for Designer directly without even bothering with Photo cause I know it will iron things like this out in the export. Number of times I have properly used Photo is zero (ok, half a time, does that count?) while Designer has helped me deliver year after year – and this is after 5 yrs with both licenses. Not once has Photo delivered due to stupid basic hygiene problems like this. 

That's why I constantly go back to the Adobe CC subscription anyway, at the end of the day it just gets the problem solved and the delivery out there, not like Photo where I have to struggle to get even basic stuff done.

FRUSTRATION.

For that reason I want to give this a serious bump up here in the comments.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:08 AM, markbowen said:

What's wrong with Select->Feather… (Shift F6 on Mac)?

Best wishes,

Mark

The problem is time.   Many projects use aliased selections constantly, and having to navigate a secondary menu and set a bunch of options over and over slows down a workflow dramatically. Not having aliased selection tools checkbox/default option is making me regret my Affinity Photo purchase, and I'm now looking at alternatives.  This and the inability to destructively crop are impeding getting anything done with Affinity Photo for me.

• 3 months later...

Yes, this needs to be added ASAP.

I recently ditched Photoshop 7 (a version of Photoshop that is over 10 years old) for Affinity Photo.

Photoshop didn't have anti-aliasing for magic wand (flood) selection. That is understandable... it's old... but how is it that a program in 2019 doesn't have anti-aliasing for that kind of selection?

Guys, please pay attention to what your customers want.

P.S.
Feathering is NOT a solution :4_joy: Neither is smoothing then feathering. They are nothing like anti-aliasing.

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2019 at 2:08 PM, markbowen said:

What's wrong with Select->Feather… (Shift F6 on Mac)?

Best wishes,

Mark

Feather doesn't look like antialiasing. Feather is like a gaussian blur applied to the selection.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...