You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

The cropping tool here does not behave at all like it promises in the video. I click on it and try to drag it over or select the image and there is no grid that appears. Moreover, none of the menus that pop up above the screen appear as you see in the film. Please help! This is a basic tool that I need access to!

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 6.11.15 PM.jpg

• Staff

Hi marcymurli,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Are you sure you are using the same program as in the Video (Affinity Photo)? From your description seems you are using Affinity Designer: the Crop Tool here is object based rather than document based (as in Affinity Photo). It also doesn't have context toolbar options. You should only see eight small rectangular handles around the bounding box of the selected object on canvas which you can drag to crop the object in-place.

Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer are two different programs: the first is for RAW conversion/development & photo editing (similar to Photoshop), while the second is a mixed vector/raster design tool (similar to Illustrator).

58 minutes ago, marcymurli said:

Thanks for your reply. I am using Affinity Designer. So I must be confused. I thought this site housed the tutorials and forum for Affinity Designer. Where can I learn how to crop in Affinity Designer?

Hi Marymurli,

The Affinity Designer tutorial are here:

and the Vimeo channel can be found here: https://vimeo.com/channels/affinitydesigner but there are no tutorials on the crop tool. However, there are 4 results for 'crop' when using the inbuilt Help.

Windows 11 Pro 64bit ¤ AMD Threadripper 3990x ¤ Nvidia RTX 3090 ¤ 256GB DDR4 Ram ¤ ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha

• 2 weeks later...

The tutorial on the background skies macro introduced recently mentions only using the jpegs supplied. Presumably though one could use one's own sky images, but would they have to have a special pixel size or format?

The question is irrelevant having experimented. They can be of any size or format.

Edited by ms.fuentecilla
Update

Hi, working my way through Photo tutes (Thank you!) and wondered if there is anything on deformation.I am attempting to learn how to transform raster  & vector  shapes into Concave  and other  forms.I have seen it as a macro in PS which I do not use  but would like to do so in Photo! Thank you!

Concave sampler.jpg

Kia ora

Thank you so much for ALL the tutorials as an opener Kudos

I started a thread before I found this one :-( sorry 

I did after a time find the channels set on Youtube only because it has playlists I think. My main use will be to make textures and texture work for my messing with game engines

copying and pasting masks etc into colour channels and the like, yep packing textures too been Beta testing this puppy for the last couple of years http://www.world-creator.com/gallery/  it's maybe a slow grower but it is really choice what can be done even now, collecting out the mask outputs and pasting them into colour channels to make splat-maps to guide where textures show on a terrain and or any tutorials aimed at that kind of creation I'm gonna love ya for.

That said I'm feeling a little out of my league here have wee feeling Photo is leaning a little more to the photography side of lifeM0DhRc3.pngKT4J3fW.jpg

A suggestion for people enquiring about obtaining the images used in these tutorials: pause a video at an appropriate point and use a snapshot tool such as Snaps Pro or SnagIt (on a Mac) to take a screen snapshot of the image before it's modified and save the snapshot locally.

A 2nd suggestion: having an aged and decayed memory, I often find it useful to replay parts of these videos. For convenience, and to avoid burning through my data cap, I download such videos. (I use Downie, again on the Mac, but there are many others.) 

• Staff

Hello all, just reappearing briefly to post a new video! It covers how to achieve the Orton effect in Photo. I've seen various videos and guides that more or less replicate the Photoshop method, but that's a destructive approach, and I wanted to demonstrate a few tweaks to make it non-destructive. Hope you find it useful!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For years I have struggled with various releases of Photoshop...just when you think you have mastered it, Adobe comes up with more useless overkill features and now insist that everything goes to the Cloud (I hate it) along with this, you can never own the product but "rent it'...as night follows day the 'rent' increases every year.   AND THEN......

enter, Serif Affinity Photo - what a welcome breath of fresh air to we fledgling Photographers on a budget. I was going to purchase the Product after my PS subscription ran out some months hence, but after seeing some of the Affinity Tutorials on Youtube, I couldn't wait, so purchased it and use it many times a day, never returning to that 'Other' product (despite still paying my monthly dues until my contract is finished)

Accolades to Serif for Affinity Photo and please don't go down the path of annual subscriptions or uploading to the 'Cloud'

My only request is that you make available a written manual in pdf format so that ready reference can be easily accessed.

Chinderah.

• Staff

Hey again, just checking in to offer a new video, this one focuses on creating an HDR result from one RAW exposure (as opposed to merging bracketed exposures):

My only request is that you make available a written manual in pdf format so that ready reference can be easily accessed.

@Chinderah Have you tried the online help at https://affinity.help ? It's searchable and printable (just click the print icon on the left hand menu), and it works well on tablets/phones so you could have it as a reference whilst you work on your desktop machine.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

I just want to say thanks to JR for all this useful tuts. And to the guys who organize this vids (Roger C and MEB) on YT. BTW: i´m too stupid for YT - how can i import a playlist as mine?

Anyway, i have a wish. Please create another tut about equations, with lot of examples (is there more possible except transformations and noise???) and maybe some basic stuff for non-mathematics (how is the general syntax, when is a bracket needed... how can i "wrap" a slider, eg. beginning at 0.3 and ending at 0.7 and stuff like that???) and please put all the equation-lines in a text-file for copy/paste.

That would be really great!

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!