You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

I sat down and went through a numbers of the tutorials which are as excellent as I expected, having used Designer and now Affinity Photo (Betas thru RTM). Thank you very much for whisking me through the important points and designing such excellent videos.

For those of us who are using the programs on MacBooks, I am being bold in requesting that it might be easier for us (me) to follow if the cursor movements in the videos could be highlighted when they stop and pick a tool (like a brief red circle highlight) because I was paying so much attention to the dialog that it was a bit hard to follow the cursor and tool choices movements.

Perhaps it was because I was more anticipating seeing what 'magic' you have created with the tools and listening to the clear distinguish dialog, that I missed some movements across the screen. I really did not want to stop the tutorial because it was so excellent and logical in its flow.

Smugly, I should think that you could whip out a development copy of your upcoming Affinity Video - (? grin ?) and use the magic 'follow action' tool!

Bruce

:blink:

In-house Affinity Photo Video Tutorials seems more catered to professionals & Photo Shop users.

Very difficult for amateurs, totally new to photo editing software.

I purchased this 2 weeks back and still not able grasp one single bit of your quick tutorials!

Look forward to some more intuitive/detailed step by step tutorials for biginners.

Hi chrisw, I understand your concern but to re-assure you a little - it is taking me a while also to adjust from using Photoshop which I have used for a very long time (about 15 years I think) and learning Photoshop for the first time it really did my head in when I first started using it. Just try to be patient with this and you will most definitely be rewarded I would concentrate on learning about one thing at a time and you won't stop learning for years afterwards - the scope of this software is immense. First up try to start to understand how useful layers are and working on layers - it will get you started and you will not wreck the original photo if just work on the layer copy. See if you can find someone that is interested in photography in your area and you will probably find that they do some editing - it might help some. Experiment with a layer (copy of the photo) and see how it works is a good start.

Best regards

The table of contents for Affinity Photo that was posted in the thread’s start, is very, very helpful indeed! Thanks  :)

@Affinity

I would strongly recommend to also put this table of contents (with the links) ON the very site with the video tutorials - that would help new or potential users a lot IMHO.   ;)

Also: 

please do add such a table of contents for Affinity DESIGNER too

____

regarding the videos: 

- some video tutorials could be a bit longer to my mind.

Of course that depends from person to person, but if a video was just 1-2 minutes longer, some things would become clearer more easily, I think.

Thank you for listening  :)

Thanks for the new outline showing the newer additions. And thank you for all the wonderful tutorials.  I've watched all the originals and they are really great.  I agree that a printed manual would soon be out of date, given Affinity's rate of fixes and request-fulfillment, but a downloadable PDF would be great to have as a desktop reference.

acapstick- Thank you for your reply and update on the additional documentation you have planned. It sounds great. My reference to missing items in the Help came mostly out of frustration at not being able to search for a specific topic. Everything I search for resulted in no response. I mistakenly assumed this meant the topic wasn't covered. I learned later this was something that was being fixed.

After reading many of the posts and responses I am beginning to better understand the complexity of nurturing a fledgling software like Designer and Photo and the daunting task of maintaining reference material for programs that are changing rapidly. Thanks to the development team for their continuing efforts and for trying very hard to keep users informed.

I purchased this 2 weeks back and still not able grasp one single bit of your quick tutorials!

I feel the same. I think Affinity is the best software i purchased since long and i do want to try and learn to work with this program.

But i am also a very beginner - have never worked with PS or some kind. And i get stuck a lot of times trying to follow the tutorials...  :o and i can't always figure out what i am missing out exactly.

So my tactic is to follow all the tutorials and try to reproduce them. What happens most of the time is that even if i follow the steps very closely, the magic happening in the tut vid's do not happen on my photo :( .

For instance, i am now trying to reproduce the Frequency Separation tutorial with a photo of my own. Around 1:50 in the video the healing brush is used, in the low frequency filter. The spots i see on the skin of the person on my photo just don't go away?! I even don't see anything happening. No spot is being removed, no change at all.... 

My question is: can i download the used photos in the tutorials to use those to try to reproduce the tutorials.

So i know the problem is not that i am using an inadequate photo?  :)

Any ideas to enhance my beginners tactic?  :rolleyes:

newbie on Affinity Photo

Hi Andy

Looks good; but the tutorials focus on purely photographic operations. I happen to use another tool for asset management and photo editing, but bought Affinity Photo for those little jobs involving blending text, shapes and photos as I find Gimp too difficult. Will tutorials for that follow?

Regards

David Edge

Another complete newbie here too.  So far I was able to clone sand and get some sneakers out of the background but when I tried that with a photo with more detail, I just started recreating the photo a little to the left so I know I don't have an understanding of it.  Right now I am trying to figure out teeth whitening. I searched for a tutorial and only found PS ones - so I was able to get as far as figuring out Affinity's version of the lasso tool but I can't seem to find where the colors drop down is to just turn down the yellow.  Hopefully as this blows up it will get like PhotoShop and I will be able to go take a community ed class to get it down.

I really appreciate all the tutorials as I know they have to be time consuming to create.  I will keep watching and hopefully start getting it down - one aspect at a time as someone suggested.  

• Staff

Happy Monday to you all,

Just following up on a few comments over the last few days.

• The Designer list seems to have been appreciated. I'll mark newly added content with a 'Date Added' suffix. I'll not add "New"  as things get confusing once you've replaced a lot of videos!!!

• Tutorial photos - we don't plan to make these available to download, although i'd like to explore a more 'hands on' approach to learning with sample files in future.

Tutorials

• Incorporating vector design into Affinity Photo. We are planning to have a tutorial which looks at using shapes, text, and closed curves to create selections and masks. Of course, you can create vector content as in Designer - see shape and pen tool vids. In terms of blending, vector content can be blended with layers below just like blending pixel layer over pixel layer.

• Highlighting cursors better. We've got several ways of doing this in our video editing software. Some look a bit cheesy and potentially more off putting that the benefit of using cursor highlighting.  Investigations underway.

• Video lists directly on the website. Good idea - i'll pass comment on to the web team. 

Thanks for all comments.

Andy Capstick

Affinity Docs

I'm a very visual person so I love these tutorials. I think for the beginners take what you see and just experiment, watch the first video then just play around with the software. I am a beginner as well, I've never used PhotoShop so to have something this advanced is very exciting to me. 

I am a professional photographer and use Lightroom for my editing and will still just because I like the flow of it a bit more,  but its limited to just that, now I can do so much more with my photography. I've spent hours during the beta playing with it and haven't even touched the surface of what this software can do.

Being a glutten for punishment I also purchased designer, I've got years of learning ahead of me but thats what makes it fun for me, knowing theres always more to learn.

If you still think its to much try Pixelmator, its a much more basic version of what is packed into this.

I downloaded the Affinity Photo last week and have been using just about everyday. I love the software. However, since I have been new to photo editing, I wish there were more tutorials on layers and masking. It gets confusing when I want to fix only certain part of the image. At times it does not do anything and I cannot figure out why.

Also I would  love to get into designing software. I think you should have discounted price for the people who buys both Affinity Photo and Design.

I downloaded the Affinity Photo last week and have been using just about everyday. I love the software. However, since I have been new to photo editing, I wish there were more tutorials on layers and masking. It gets confusing when I want to fix only certain part of the image. At times it does not do anything and I cannot figure out why.

Also I would  love to get into designing software. I think you should have discounted price for the people who buys both Affinity Photo and Design.

Affinity Designer is also discounted 20% price viable to 23 July at least that's the case here in the States.

I think you should have discounted price for the people who buys both Affinity Photo and Design.

We'd like to do that too, but we only sell through the Mac App Store, and that doesn't have any facility for giving a discount based on what you've bought previously.

your software is amazing BUT as an individual who alas was /is not super proficient at photoshop I find it a wee bit intimidating re the learning curve. A survey of your tutorials .leads me to an excellent source of highly specify topics ONCE I have a photo there;  but where I am having difficulty(embarrassingly so ) is getting a photo inside affinity in the first place to work on (LOL)

I find I have to open another application ( aperture, apple's photos or Mylio and select one and drag it to the desk top then open affinity and select it from the desktop. 

When i select open affinity "greys" out applications such as aperture library or photos ( I suspect that is because it does not want orsees the library as one gigantic photo and says "whoa" and cannot import the entire library (a good thing) but leads me back to how ELSE do I do this as a relative novice .

so Far there are no software  libraries that allow to select edit with< and treat affinity like a plug in option.

I know I am making this too hard  and any  help is really appreciated.

thank you 

alsoI am assuming there isn batch option so far or panorama options?

your software is amazing BUT as an individual who alas was /is not super proficient at photoshop I find it a wee bit intimidating re the learning curve. A survey of your tutorials .leads me to an excellent source of highly specify topics ONCE I have a photo there;  but where I am having difficulty(embarrassingly so ) is getting a photo inside affinity in the first place to work on (LOL)

I find I have to open another application ( aperture, apple's photos or Mylio and select one and drag it to the desk top then open affinity and select it from the desktop. 

When i select open affinity "greys" out applications such as aperture library or photos ( I suspect that is because it does not want orsees the library as one gigantic photo and says "whoa" and cannot import the entire library (a good thing) but leads me back to how ELSE do I do this as a relative novice .

so Far there are no software  libraries that allow to select edit with< and treat affinity like a plug in option.

I know I am making this too hard  and any  help is really appreciated.

thank you 

alsoI am assuming there isn batch option so far or panorama options?

If you open the "file"drop down menu you can select "Open", this will bring up your computers files, go to the folder your pics are in and you can select just 1 or hold the shift or command key and choose all the ones you want then select open, all pictures will open in Affinity.

Hope that helps!

I just purchased Affinity Photo and am diving into the tutorial videos. In the Layers Overview video tutorial, you show that once you choose the brush tool, you can hover over the image and the inside of the brush area shows the image (without the red mask). Mine does not do that. Mine also does not work when I try using the brush tool over an area. What's up with this?

post-15675-0-50123100-1437763188_thumb.png

I just purchased Affinity Photo and am diving into the tutorial videos. In the Layers Overview video tutorial, you show that once you choose the brush tool, you can hover over the image and the inside of the brush area shows the image (without the red mask). Mine does not do that. Mine also does not work when I try using the brush tool over an area. What's up with this?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-07-24 at 2.38.36 PM.png

It also appears that you are in quick mask mode (the red mask you see) you will also need to make sure white is your selected foreground colour in the swatches panel and choose the brush tool as MEB states, then that feature will work. Also that link does not show the brush tool it shows how the layers work and how to stack them.

Allan

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

Hi chrisw, I understand your concern but to re-assure you a little - it is taking me a while also to adjust from using Photoshop which I have used for a very long time (about 15 years I think) and learning Photoshop for the first time it really did my head in when I first started using it. Just try to be patient with this and you will most definitely be rewarded I would concentrate on learning about one thing at a time and you won't stop learning for years afterwards - the scope of this software is immense. First up try to start to understand how useful layers are and working on layers - it will get you started and you will not wreck the original photo if just work on the layer copy. See if you can find someone that is interested in photography in your area and you will probably find that they do some editing - it might help some. Experiment with a layer (copy of the photo) and see how it works is a good start.

Best regards

Wow! 15 Years to master PS. Wonder how long it will take me to learn use layers & tools efficiently/effectively in AP. Have watched all the great tutorials but when going into AP to replicate, the flow is just not there. I must have missed out on some minor details on actual tool selection.

Thanks for re-assuring me....the software is fantastic for those who know.

I feel the same. I think Affinity is the best software i purchased since long and i do want to try and learn to work with this program.

But i am also a very beginner - have never worked with PS or some kind. And i get stuck a lot of times trying to follow the tutorials...  :o and i can't always figure out what i am missing out exactly.

So my tactic is to follow all the tutorials and try to reproduce them. What happens most of the time is that even if i follow the steps very closely, the magic happening in the tut vid's do not happen on my photo :( .

For instance, i am now trying to reproduce the Frequency Separation tutorial with a photo of my own. Around 1:50 in the video the healing brush is used, in the low frequency filter. The spots i see on the skin of the person on my photo just don't go away?! I even don't see anything happening. No spot is being removed, no change at all.... 

My question is: can i download the used photos in the tutorials to use those to try to reproduce the tutorials.

So i know the problem is not that i am using an inadequate photo?  :)

Any ideas to enhance my beginners tactic?  :rolleyes:

I am with you all the way! You are not alone.

Certainly look forward to a more detailed step by step tutorial.