You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials

On 7/30/2018 at 4:19 AM, testyfly said:

I like many other photographers are very unhappy with Adobe's move to a subscription based business model and your product appears to be a reasonable alternative. I can't claim to be an expert Photoshop user but one of the most important operations in PS for me, is the ability to open a number of images as layers and then using masks combine various parts of the images to create a final composite image particularly for product and food photography.

Now I've not been able to find a work flow in your program that enables to perform this operation. If it does exist it is well hidden, if it doesn't exist will you be adding such a feature  and when? As I say I have no desire to go to Abode, however, if you don't have any plans for I shall have to bite the bullet.

Are you using Lightroom?  Are you referring to "Open as Layers in Photoshop"?  If so, it's unlikely that Affinity will be able to implement that functionality, which is why I'm (regrettably) subscribing to Adobe CC.

• 4 weeks later...

g'day readers

i am a tutor for affinity photo at seniornet , a learning centre for over 55 year oldies in Auckland New Zealand. previously we tutored ps elements and all the members, ten in number have taken the plunge to swap to aff photo.  i have Snaged images from the videos and added to D Straker and Cutthrouthe fog notes, am transcribing the narration as input data to allow members to repeat the video process at home. the availability of high resolution images and a professional transcription would be appreciated but Rome wasnt built in a day. the quality of the product is great as ia the price. i am somewhat disappointed in the Workbook as much spaace given to Creativity and Commercial but thats life. await the day when authors like Mark Galer and Scott Kelby produce supportring volumes. thanks to all the developers for the fun time we are having

dave helas

I have several issues with Affinity Photo.  These are:

1.  How do I exit from Affinity Photo after saving my edited photos?  I get confusing messages from the software that I do not understand.

2.  When using Viveza 2 I can see weak or washed up colors on my screen.  In order to enjoy the true colors of the photograph to be edited, I have to magnify it to 33%.  Anything below that won't work.  The same is true with the small Loupe screen on the bottom right.

3.  Randomly the software won't run.  In order to have it working, I have to restore my computer.  This is very annoying.

Can you please help me?  I want to use the software but these pesky bugs are getting on my nerves.  If problems persist I will be forced to subscribe to Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop.

Thanks in advance,

Omar Upegui R.

3 hours ago, RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica said:

Could we get a sticky on new version install instructions....??? Sorry if I've missed it.

It's usually pretty simple: Download and run the installer. Are you having a problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had a problem emulating the steps in your "Sky Replacement" tutorial using the latest version of desktop PC Affinity Photo? Having tried unsuccessfully using my pair of images one of which is a sky replacement jpg, I'm wondering a bit if i might get the same two photos used by tutorial to try?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2015 at 3:55 AM, acapstick said:

In support of our fantastic photo editing app, please use this comprehensive and structured set of videos for accelerated learning!

The video tutorials are available on Vimeo and YouTube via these links:

Vimeo - http://affin.co/PhotoVids

YouTube - http://affin.co/photoyt

We now have a specific Beginners Series of videos tailored to absolute beginners, with a more manageable pacing and focus on concepts and straightforward procedures. They all include subtitles to aid understanding.

The tutorial set includes:

Beginners Series

Introduction

Basics

Transforming

Selections and Masking

Correction

Retouching

RAW Development

Getting Creative

Design Aids

Channels

Filters

Panoramas

HDR (High Dynamic Range)

Focus Merging (Focus Stacking)

Live Stacking

Live Projections (360 editing, perspective projection)

OpenEXR/32-bit

3D Render/Texture Work

Colour Management

Macros

Finishing Off

Plugins

Projects

Bonus Content

Windows Workflow videos

In addition to the regular tutorials, we've also got some workflow videos shot on the Windows version of Photo that cover using a variety of features to edit an image to completion. These tend to be released on a more informal basis.

Please let us know about areas you think need covering, have problems with, don’t understand, or just tell us if we’re on the right or wrong track. Simply reply to this pinned topic.

Have fun with Affinity Photo!

Best wishes from the Affinity Documentation Team!

The courses have been created and list was last updated on 2015. But we got 1.6 release in 2018 this year March. So I am sure, there are things to add.

Since version 1.7 beta is out with loaded features, I wish these tutorials are revisited to cover new features.

Was as regular ps user for one year.  Moved to affinity few days back, due to the greed based monopoly subscription model of ps.

It is just bad for the art to let just one tool a strong dependency. Had been searching for alternatives.

Bought 1.6 version of Affinity photo. Initially slightly disappointed that it could not replace ps for what I was doing for last one year.

Just after that day of purchase I came to know beta 1.7 is out.

When I use 1.7, it could do everything for my work. It gives same feeling as I was using ps. I am confident that there won’t be such bad dependency in the art of photography anymore.

Cheers Affinity!

2 hours ago, Omprakash Selvaraj said:

Since version 1.7 beta is out with loaded features, I wish these tutorials are revisited to cover new features.

I'm sure that Serif will work on updating the videos, once 1.7 is fully stable and released. Until then, any video they might make showing new or changed features is likely to become out-of-date as the code is modified during the beta process.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm sure that Serif will work on updating the videos, once 1.7 is fully stable and released. Until then, any video they might make showing new or changed features is likely to become out-of-date as the code is modified during the beta process.

Thank you Walt. It looked like the courses had been created and list was last updated on 2015. But we got 1.6 release in 2018 this year March. So I am sure, there are things to add.

But not a show stopper. We can manage to use those features by seeing features list. 

• Staff

Clearly you can only make official videos of the software that you can buy from us. The beta is not recommended for production use, so we would not promote it with "official" videos yet.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/12/2015 at 12:06 AM, jmac said:

First I will say that I am very happy to see this software and impressed with what I have seen so far...with one exception. The lack of a complete user manual. I don't understand the idea among developers that their job begins and ends with the software and users will fumble and stumble and guess their way to a working knowledge of the program. Video tutorials are great and helpful. So is knowing I have a reference, provided by the developer, that explains what every tool, panel, and menu option is and what it does, as though the person reading it has never worked with this software before. This is especially true for a new software that hasn't been around long enough for authors to fill the void with How To books. From what I can see the information available under Affinity Photo Help is bare bones at best and some of the bones are missing. I spent a lot of time learning Illustrator and enough of Photoshop to do what I need and I am disgusted with Adobe's switch to subscription based software availability. So the discovery of Affinity Design and Photo is very exciting to me. Stumbling through video's and searching YouTube and Google for additional information to understand how to use your products...that is not so exciting.

I have an Affinity Photo User manual created from their help file if you want it. I have a Word or a PDF version

On 9/5/2018 at 6:05 AM, djh said:

g'day readers

i am a tutor for affinity photo at seniornet , a learning centre for over 55 year oldies in Auckland New Zealand. previously we tutored ps elements and all the members, ten in number have taken the plunge to swap to aff photo.  i have Snaged images from the videos and added to D Straker and Cutthrouthe fog notes, am transcribing the narration as input data to allow members to repeat the video process at home. the availability of high resolution images and a professional transcription would be appreciated but Rome wasnt built in a day. the quality of the product is great as ia the price. i am somewhat disappointed in the Workbook as much spaace given to Creativity and Commercial but thats life. await the day when authors like Mark Galer and Scott Kelby produce supportring volumes. thanks to all the developers for the fun time we are having

dave helas

I too purchased the workbook and was very disappoinyed.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, Omprakash Selvaraj said:

The courses have been created and list was last updated on 2015. But we got 1.6 release in 2018 this year March. So I am sure, there are things to add.

Was as regular ps user for one year.  Moved to affinity few days back, due to the greed based monopoly subscription model of ps.

It is just bad for the art to let just one tool a strong dependency. Had been searching for alternatives.

Bought 1.6 version of Affinity photo. Initially slightly disappointed that it could not replace ps for what I was doing for last one year.

Just after that day of purchase I came to know beta 1.7 is out.

When I use 1.7, it could do everything for my work. It gives same feeling as I was using ps. I am confident that there won’t be such bad dependency in the art of photography anymore.

Cheers Affinity!

Thanks for posting this..I'd like to bookmark where this post originated from if I could. Can you provide the link please?

1 hour ago, Pariah73 said:

Thanks for posting this..I'd like to bookmark where this post originated from if I could. Can you provide the link please?

When you're viewing a post, on the upper-right of the post you should see the "share" icon. Click it and you'll get the URL.

-- Walt
PC: